CP Fit

Thunderheads
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 5274 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Bear with me gents, ....

I know there's a ton of CP threads, but not many specifics on 'fit'.

My old POS BB204 12" is, ...uhm....well, ...too small for me. I can't believe it doesn't fit 13 years later!? :confused::TD: Seriously....

I notice a LOT of CPs come in 13", ...almost seems to be standard.

Question is primarily this:

How far down should the CP come? Apparently, as long as it covers 'most' of the ribs, it's fine, seeings as 13" is pretty standard.

Gerry Davis` site says 2-3" above the belt. Well, ...that means a 13" is way too short for a lot, if not most guys.

Is it personal preference? Is there a standard?

Thanks!

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your chest protector should cover to the bottom of your ribs cage when worn properly to also protect your clavicle. So measure from the top of your clavicle to the bottom of your ribcage and that will determine what size you should be looking at.

I use the WV Gold and love it. I'm 5'10 and 220lbs. (Go ahead with the "I didn't know they stacked $h!t that high comments") and when worn correctly to cover the clavicle it just covers the bottom rib.

I don't know if I buy the "it should come to 2-3 inches above the belt" line. I've got probably 6" between the belt and CP.

I believe the purpose of the CP is to protect you from being hit in a bony area. Yes, being hit in the gut hurts and stings, but it's nothing when compared to being hit where there is bone.

Some of the soft shell protectors offer extensions to help cover a few inches further down. I don't really see that as necessary, but it's an option for those who want it.

Your chest protector should cover to the bottom of your ribs cage when worn properly to also protect your clavicle. So measure from the top of your clavicle to the bottom of your ribcage and that will determine what size you should be looking at.

I use the WV Gold and love it. I'm 5'10 and 220lbs. (Go ahead with the "I didn't know they stacked $h!t that high comments") and when worn correctly to cover the clavicle it just covers the bottom rib.

I don't know if I buy the "it should come to 2-3 inches above the belt" line. I've got probably 6" between the belt and CP.

I believe the purpose of the CP is to protect you from being hit in a bony area. Yes, being hit in the gut hurts and stings, but it's nothing when compared to being hit where there is bone.

Some of the soft shell protectors offer extensions to help cover a few inches further down. I don't really see that as necessary, but it's an option for those who want it.

And your Gold is .....12 or 13" ?? I'm 5'11" 225

What Davis says on his website and what he actually practices (and sells) are two different things.

Take a look at the CP he was wearing in the WS game - it barely covered his sternum. 2" to 3" above his belt? Only if he's wearing 'Grampaw pants'.

By all means, get rid of that BB204!

Hey, Warren! I didn't know they. . . oh. Nevermind.

Your first priority is to cover your ribs and your collar bone (clavicle). If you are concerned about ball-belly impact, or the 13" will not cover your ribs, check out longer protectors. There are not many available, but here are a few suggestions:

400x335_P200[1].jpg Champion P200 17" Chest Protector available on Amazon for $54.95 and Sport about Equipment for $44.95. Also sometimes found on eBay.

CPU-2T.jpg Pro Nine also sells a XL, 16" foam/hard plastic chest protector and offers 4" extensions. Allaroundsportsllc sells the combo for about $75 bucks.

andre-the-giant.jpg 20" ought to protect Andre the Giant!

What Davis says on his website and what he actually practices (and sells) are two different things.

Take a look at the CP he was wearing in the WS game - it barely covered his sternum. 2" to 3" above his belt? Only if he's wearing 'Grampaw pants'.

By all means, get rid of that BB204!

Brian, ....I know!! :confused: the BB204 will be long gone :TD:

I have the XL. I looked at Ump-Attire and it seems they are all 12" and the difference is the width versus the length.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong please.

Warren, thanks. If you're correct then, ....and you're an inch and 5 lbs from me ....then the sides (bottom of your last) rib isn't covered (ribs going back around to your backside), right?

Holy wow, ....

You can't tell me that Joe West's bottom rib (side) was exposed w/ that Gold he had on last night!:crazy:

Yeah joe west doesn't really fit in that cp. He uses the first edition of the WV Gold, he even put a wilson logo over the WV. lol

Holy wow, ....

You can't tell me that Joe West's bottom rib (side) was exposed w/ that Gold he had on last night!:fuel:

This is an interesting topic. Warren is right, the CP should cover your ribs while in your stance.

I discussed with Wilson in Chicago a few months back about the need for longer hard shell CPs at all levels below MLB, especially among umpires who are taller. As a result, they are highly considering a 4 inch extension that can be purchased separately and attached to any Wilson hard shell CP. I want to emphasize the word "considering", as this is not a definite. If it happens, I'm guessing late 2010 or early 2011.

Any of you who think this is a good idea, feel free to e-mail me at jim@ump-attire.com, and I'll pass along to the powers-that-be there. I'm all for it, and perhaps encouragement from any of you, especially wearers of their CPs, will go a long way there.

At least Wilson is now aware of the need whereas the MLB umpires, who they get much of their feedback from, normally are ok with lesser lower rib protection because of better catching (which still doesn't COMPLETELY make sense to me).