Trying to stay cool when it's 90!

Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4603 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

A good under shirt is a great start. I like the woven Champion shirt, sold at Walmart, for under my CP. Yeah, I've got every Under Armour and Climacool mock out there, But I find that the Champion just works better behind the dish.

On burners, I pull out my stock of old Elbeco shirts for my crew. They're very airey, and there's nothing cooler on the field. The new stuff is like wearing a plastic bag compared to the old stuff. Maybe it's the openings in the front of the button up shirt that makes a different. I dunno, but I do know they're way cooler.

For really hot days, I pour cold water into my hat, and quickly put it on as a lean my head back. The water runs down your neck, and really makes a difference quickly. Plus it keeps your head cooler during the inning. Try it.

This is the first and last thing you should buy http://www.gerrydavi...DR0805001109000

I use them....MLB and MiLB umpires use them. Simply put, they work and work well.

+1

I have a buddy that has one and I have had the opportunity to borrow it. AWESOME. It is like AC behind the plate. I have the Endurance model on order and can't wait til it gets here.

I am ordering one today. I would welcome 90 degrees. It has been over a hundred for a month. I have the same routine when it is hot,

1 - I take pottassium / magnesium pills daily and hydrate with water and gatorade before bed and when I get up. Throughout the day I drink water and gatorade along with dill pickles and juice. Pickle juice is old school hydration before gatorade.

2 - I carry a little cooler with gatorade,water and a diet pepsi (I know it is not good but I can not help it) and put it in an area off the field

3 - I like to wear a white shirt on hot days and under armour heat gear under it. Believe it or not, the grey shirt also seems cool to me (cooler than pro blue or cream)

4 - I stick a few ice cubes in my hat and wear one of those cool bandanas around my neck. Between innings I let that ice water from my towel go over my head. Then I stand on the 1b or 3b line with my drink as teams warm up. I sneak in a dill pickle or two and drink some juice.

I am making a bank deposit and then am going to buy this dang vest today. Wished I would have saw it a month ago. I have seen umps that have called in Texas for 20 years fall out this year. It has been brutal.

What is the main difference (if anybody knows) between the endurance pad and the performance pad?

By the name, I'm guessing the endurance pad lasts longer and the performance pad is cooler for a shorter period of time.

Any official thoughts?

You are correct.

The performance "freezes" at a lower temp. I think around 55 deg and lasts about 1hr 15min. The endurance "freezes" at around 70 deg and lasts about 2hr 30 min. By freezes, I mean the clear liquid goes to white solid and the pad is charged and ready to use.

Correct, I understand. That's the whole reason they work. It is a true freezing point and melting point of a substance different from water. Thank you for clarifying.

Much like butter, it's "frozen" or solid at room temperature, but it doesn't take much more of a raise from room temperature to melt it.

Here is some more info from the rite temp site: Officially Cool uses HTF Exotherm, a phase change material (PCM), to cool your body by drawing heat out of your blood right through your skin. It's more efficient than perspiration. The cooled blood circulates through your system and in a short time you'll realize you're comfortable while everyone around you is suffering from the heat! You'll feel stronger, more comfortable, mentally alert, and much more focused.

<br />So the &quot;non-velvet&quot; side is the side that you wear up against your undershirt? The &quot;velvet&quot; side is the side that touches your Douglas?<br />
<br /><br /><br />

You are correct...

How does the pad stay up in the douglas or any other chest protector for that matter? It seems like it would just slide down and rest against your belt inside your shirt.

Has any one tried the:

Frogg Toggs Cooling Chilly Pad towels?

The thing is amazing!!! All you have to do is get it wet. Doesn't have to be cold water. Gets Cold and will last for a long time.

You can use it between innings or wrap it around your neck under the shirt.

Got mine at Sports Authority for $13.00

<br />So the &quot;non-velvet&quot; side is the side that you wear up against your undershirt? The &quot;velvet&quot; side is the side that touches your Douglas?<br />
<br /><br /><br />

You are correct...

How does the pad stay up in the Douglas or any other chest protector for that matter? It seems like it would just slide down and rest against your belt inside your shirt.

The key is to wear your chest protector properly. If your protector keeps sliding down during the game then you don't have it strapped up tight enough. I have no problems with the cool pad slipping down. Change out is a snap between innings, just untuck the front of the shirt, remove and replace the cool pad, retuck shirt and go. Hell I think it took me longer to type it then actually do it! LOL!

Review on the Performance Pads:

80 degrees today, probably 70 dew point. Not too hot, but wanted to try them out for the 100 degree day tomorrow.

I got 7 innings out of 1 performance pad and it was still white in places at the end of the game, approximately 1:45 game time.

To keep completely cool, I could have swapped it out, midway through...but it was fine.

I'm wondering about the vest because my partner tried my pads and they kept slipping down his softshell CP and his straps were TIGHT. I'm not sure why they stayed up on me, but slid down on his.

I suggested that for $10 more he could buy the vest and be fine.