2012 NFHS Rules Changes

yawetag
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4494 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

http://www.nfhs.org/...nt.aspx?id=5448

The biggest one: no more pre-game bat and helmet check!

That is according to the NFHS Rules but may still be required by State Associations.

I am betting California will still require umpires to check equipment.

I can not count how many helmets I have removed during pre game checks for cracks and I know it wasn't the first time they were told.

+1

I got so sick of throwing cracked helmets out that I just started just ripping the helmet's ear flaps off and in one case tore the entire helmet in half (it isn't that hard-really) to "discourage" them from using them again and getting me and my partner sued. Warnings and ejections don't work when it comes to safety stuff--besides, you usually find out too late that they didn't follow the rule even though you checked and asked them if it was proper. I am not going to risk a lawsuit over this. Only one mommy got mad at me for destroying her precious baby's helmet. (Little League-whew, Last time I worked that level)

What's the saying; "It's all fun and games until somebody loses an eye."?

My two cents. Your mileage may vary

Not one of my finer game management, but after I kicked a helmet at pregame, it showed up on a batter. I kicked it again, back it comes the next inning. I asked the batter to let me see his helmet, I threw it over the bachstop in the woods. I told the manager I would not be seeing that again.

+1

I got so sick of throwing cracked helmets out that I just started just ripping the helmet's ear flaps off and in one case tore the entire helmet in half (it isn't that hard-really) to "discourage" them from using them again and getting me and my partner sued. Warnings and ejections don't work when it comes to safety stuff--besides, you usually find out too late that they didn't follow the rule even though you checked and asked them if it was proper. I am not going to risk a lawsuit over this. Only one mommy got mad at me for destroying her precious baby's helmet. (Little League-whew, Last time I worked that level)

What's the saying; "It's all fun and games until somebody loses an eye."?

My two cents. Your mileage may vary

I ripped a few helmets in LL until I was ordered to stop doing that. I asked why and the president said he can still sell the helmets to adult league. I ripped HIM a new one for even thinking about that.

On another note, I ripped a kids personal helmet by mistake, and when the dad explained that the helmet had a warrranty and he could not exchange it, I had to replace it to avoid a smurfstorm. Luckily, the treasurer was sympathetic and paid for my mistake.

Why would anyone think that they have the right to destroy another persons property... throw it out... if it comes back in the game toss the coach and/or the player... that will get your point across. Have done it and never had a problem.

Why would anyone think that they have the right to destroy another persons property... throw it out... if it comes back in the game toss the coach and/or the player... that will get your point across. Have done it and never had a problem.

Why? Basically because I am an A-hole! Plain and simple. After seeing the cheap bastards and idiots keep using them I decided to make sure they can't. I have not heard a word from any coach or player except for the Little League mommy since I started doing that in 2007. I guess I tear up three or four a year I haven't even had an incident worthy of a warning in any game where I ripped a helmet up pre-game. Sort of sends a message that I am serious I guess. I actually do a lot of smiling, chuckling and "Wowing!" on good plays, funny plays and close plays and have a general all around good time in 99% of the games I work no matter how big a deal the game is. I am always hustling and having fun working a game, especially the plate.

Besides, I believe most would rather have me destroy an already unusable under any rule helmet than toss a player or coach/manager,. I am sort of saving them from themselves. I haven't seen a relatively new helmet cracked. It is always older, cheaper, really scratched up ones that have cracks.

I guess we can just agree to disagree on this one.

Why? Basically because I am an A-hole! Plain and simple. After seeing the cheap bastards and idiots keep using them I decided to make sure they can't. I have not heard a word from any coach or player except for the Little League mommy since I started doing that in 2007. I guess I tear up three or four a year I haven't even had an incident worthy of a warning in any game where I ripped a helmet up pre-game. Sort of sends a message that I am serious I guess. I actually do a lot of smiling, chuckling and "Wowing!" on good plays, funny plays and close plays and have a general all around good time in 99% of the games I work no matter how big a deal the game is. I am always hustling and having fun working a game, especially the plate.

Besides, I believe most would rather have me destroy an already unusable under any rule helmet than toss a player or coach/manager,. I am sort of saving them from themselves. I haven't seen a relatively new helmet cracked. It is always older, cheaper, really scratched up ones that have cracks.

I guess we can just agree to disagree on this one.

Well the best part now is that we don't have to check them in pre-game anymore... but if you see one on the field take care of it.... I guess you will have to keep up your strength but ripping telephone books in half now... have a good one!

Good question. I was a Safety Officer on the BoD previously and I used to destroy helmets all the time. I didn't think to separate myself from that role when I was the umpire.

Wish I read this post two years ago.

i ripped a chain right off a kids neck once!

Why?

261.gif Exactly... Why?

If my partner did that or anyone in our association was guilty of this they would stand on their own and be responsible for their own actions. He won't take it off... eject him... very simple hope it wasn't something of value ($$$ or emotional)

As I stated before you have no right to do that... again just eject him!

In our association we are TOLD NOT to go into the dugout...PERIOD. We don't check equipment in pre-game. We ask the coaches at the plate conference...Are your players properly and legally equipped? Is all of your equipment to NFHS specifications? They had better answer yes...or we don't play.

If a player gets hurt due to a cracked helmet...not our fault...coaches fault. If an illegal bat is used...not our fault...coaches fault. We take the stance that if something is damaged and we miss it during our check we don't want to be held liable for any damage or harm. It is too easy to miss something...kid keeps his favorite helmet/bat in his bag and brings it out after the check...not my fault

In our association we are TOLD NOT to go into the dugout...PERIOD. We don't check equipment in pre-game. We ask the coaches at the plate conference...Are your players properly and legally equipped? Is all of your equipment to NFHS specifications? They had better answer yes...or we don't play.

Your association is instructing you to blatantly ignore a written rule in the rule book of the game you're officiating?

Do you still know what bats are legal? what is someone uses an illegal bat? do you look for it? what if its brought to your attention? would you let a kid in the box with a cracked helmet?

Do you still know what bats are legal? Yes. Anything that meets the current bat rule in the rulebook.

what is someone uses an illegal bat? I'd follow the rulebook's instructions.

do you look for it? Not really, but if I see it, I'll rule on it.

what if its brought to your attention? The same thing in any year before this year.

would you let a kid in the box with a cracked helmet? Of course not.

I'm confused on what your point is.

Why?

261.gif Exactly... Why?

If my partner did that or anyone in our association was guilty of this they would stand on their own and be responsible for their own actions. He won't take it off... eject him... very simple hope it wasn't something of value ($$ or emotional)

I do not believe any member of TASO would rip a helmet apart or a chain off of a kids neck. I have called many games with guys from chapters all over the state and can not picture that happening. Are you in the Alliance chapter? Just curious.

Why?

261.gif Exactly... Why?

If my partner did that or anyone in our association was guilty of this they would stand on their own and be responsible for their own actions. He won't take it off... eject him... very simple hope it wasn't something of value ($ or emotional)

I do not believe any member of TASO would rip a helmet apart or a chain off of a kids neck. I have called many games with guys from chapters all over the state and can not picture that happening. Are you in the Alliance chapter? Just curious.

Yes I am with the Alliance Chapter...

Your association is instructing you to blatantly ignore a written rule in the rule book of the game you're officiating?

That is how we handle the issue...so, YES they are telling us not to go into the dugout to inspect gear before games...

I understand from a legal point why they tell us not to. One of our former board members, 2-3 years ago, who is a very well respected lawyer in our neck of the woods, recommended the policy. He said to put it 100% on the shoulders of the coaches and game administration. Ask the question...get the answer and move on.

Everyone has heard about kids, coaches, etc., getting hit with batted balls while on a bucket. How many times has the parent/guardian gone after the school, coach, State association and finally the umpires because of this "preventable accident". I am not looking to get sued because I missed one bat or helmet that was not to spec...I don't think it is provable, unless you mark the bats/helmets at the time of inspection, that you were not remiss in your duties. If equipment was hidden/not presented/brought in after the fact..etc. how can you hold the umpire responsible? That will be the situation in a court of law...he didn't inspect the one item in question...therefore he is liable for the damage. Doesn't matter the kid/coach/parent knew the equipment was unsafe...I didn't catch it, so it falls to me.

• Like 1

I understand from a legal point why they tell us not to. One of our former board members, 2-3 years ago, who is a very well respected lawyer in our neck of the woods, recommended the policy. He said to put it 100% on the shoulders of the coaches and game administration. Ask the question...get the answer and move on.

And he's 100% wrong. When a kid gets injured by having a cracked helmet, they're going to ask why you didn't check the helmets. After all, the rules dictate the umpires are to check bats and helmets before the game begins.

What other rules does your organization mandate you ignore?

And he's 100% wrong. When a kid gets injured by having a cracked helmet, they're going to ask why you didn't check the helmets. After all, the rules dictate the umpires are to check bats and helmets before the game begins.

What other rules does your organization mandate you ignore?

Lawyers can argue both sides of almost any issue so its not clear to me which is better.

Look at the 'caution ice is falling' signs I saw when I was in the middlewest last winter. Is the building protecting you by advising you of the danger or acknowledging that they know of the danger ahead of time so are liable if simeone gets hurt? lol.

yawetag...

We didn't inspect equipment in playoffs either. As someone stated...lawyers can argue either side of this issue. I, however, think the move by FED to stop umpires from checking equipment tells me we were doing the right thing in not entering the dugout to check equipment.

The one point I will make is in our association we take the rules seriously and we apply them...all except equipment checks :cool2:

My question is...how does your association propose to handle a situation where equipment is withheld from inspection and finds its way onto the field? What happens if a kid is hurt by said equipment? Who takes the blame? I know there are lawyers out there that would argue it's your duty to to check everything,since your looking anyway, knowing a kid might try to hide illegal equipment...just like the wet floor sign and someone falls on the wet floor...who pays? A lawyer can argue the sign was moved, is a trip hazard, goes against common sense..etc. When a kid gets hurt..I mean HURT with lasting physical damage someone WILL PAY.

yawetag...

We didn't inspect equipment in playoffs either. As someone stated...lawyers can argue either side of this issue. I, however, think the move by FED to stop umpires from checking equipment tells me we were doing the right thing in not entering the dugout to check equipment.

The one point I will make is in our association we take most of the rules seriously and we apply the ones we want...all except equipment checks :cool2:

My question is...how does your association propose to handle a situation where equipment is withheld from inspection and finds its way onto the field? What happens if a kid is hurt by said equipment? Who takes the blame? I know there are lawyers out there that would argue it's your duty to to check everything,since your looking anyway, knowing a kid might try to hide illegal equipment...just like the wet floor sign and someone falls on the wet floor...who pays? A lawyer can argue the sign was moved, is a trip hazard, goes against common sense..etc. When a kid gets hurt..I mean HURT with lasting physical damage someone WILL PAY.

There you go, I corrected your post.

A lawyer can argue anything they think will make money for them & their client. If the rules book says one thing and you do something different, that is more negligient than if someone tricks you by hiding equipment.

Of course, we are having this discussion after the fact that those of us that follow all the rules no longer have to deal with this.