Cooperstown Week #12

Nate
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4960 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

So I'm going to cooperstown next week, that's week #12. Wondering if anyone from UE is going.. There's 5 people from WMBUA (Local high school board) going, that's including me and my dad.

If you're not going, has anyone gone this year?

Nate

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I'm going to cooperstown next week, that's week #12. Wondering if anyone from UE is going.. There's 5 people from WMBUA (Local high school board) going, that's including me and my dad.

If you're not going, has anyone gone this year?

Nate

I've never gone to Cooperstown, but it's on my list of things to do. Nearly everybody I've spoken to recommends doing it at least once in your career.

Let us know about your experience.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone,

I just got back today. I was the youngest umpire there (18-years-old). I had the honor to work the finals game at first base. There were 103 umpires there this week and only 6 chosen to do the finals game. We had 3 guys including me under the age of 25 working the game. It somewhat caused drama with older guys who wanted to work the game..

championship.png

Thanks Warren. It was quite the honor to do the game. I had a banger at first on a pick off and the place went nuts. About 3,000 people in the stadium. By far the most I've ever called in front of, plus is was televised in a web cast at www.dreamsparktv.net

The plate umpire for the game is a PAC-10 umpire, and his stories are fantastic. I will remember this week for a long time.

How you get choose out of 106 umpires? i love to go up and do something like this.

im pretty sure a local team (or a team that knows you) gets to take an umpire. it is a cool honor. i was offered to go, but unfortunantly i am only 15 and you have to be 18 to umpire there. my brother's team is going in 2 years, so i will be one year short to umpire then. as for being chosen to umpire the champ. game, im pretty sure you have to stand out there. nate, correct me if im wrong.

im pretty sure a local team (or a team that knows you) gets to take an umpire. it is a cool honor. i was offered to go, but unfortunantly i am only 15 and you have to be 18 to umpire there. my brother's team is going in 2 years, so i will be one year short to umpire then. as for being chosen to umpire the champ. game, im pretty sure you have to stand out there. nate, correct me if im wrong.

Wow the way these team plays around here i doubt that ever happen for me. But for baberuth to do tournaments for them you got to have a couple years under belt and be 18 years old.

Pretty much you need to hustle and stand out. I had some pretty tough games to do, and I got nothing but great reviews. I was the "number 2" umpire in the whole camp by rankings. Working first base in the championship is where the number 2 guy works.

At the end of the week your crew chief rates your performance and I received a 9.5 out of 10. Being 18, it was pretty tough for the older guys to swallow, which caused a large amount of jealousy throughout the camp.

Nate

• 11 months later...

The way a team gets to Cooperstown is by paying a large entry fee. No other qualifiers.

Oh yeah - they have to bring an umpire OR pay a bigger fee.

You mean they don't have to play their way in like they do for some USSSA Tournaments. They don't have to earn points by playing in Tournaments, State Tournaments, NIT's etc.

No but the way they do it is they advise the entering teams of certain weeks to enter based on their skill level. Week 11, 12, and 13 are filled with the best teams around the country. But really any team can play as long as you pay the money, but they a fast-tracked tournament for each week to get the winner.

No but the way they do it is they advise the entering teams of certain weeks to enter based on their skill level. Week 11, 12, and 13 are filled with the best teams around the country. But really any team can play as long as you pay the money, but they a fast-tracked tournament for each week to get the winner.

Nate, see new thread; Cooperstown Dreams Park 2010.

Have a great week!

Scuzz

OK.....This guy Jesse Estrada IS NOT in the PAC 10. He is a HS ump in Los Angeles. I am sick and tired of umpires telling guys they work certain levels and don't. Just because you might have worked a freebee college fall ball game @ UCLA does not make you a Pac 10 umpire. Jeese told this pack of crap to a buddy of mine who went to Cooperstown a month ago. This stuff makes me sick.