The most comfortable "undershorts" I've ever worn!

sasmallen
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 5378 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I've tried many types of "under shorts" during my umpire career. Comfort has obviously been a major concern but I've also received my share of foul balls off my inside thighs (maybe only one or two a year, but the bruise stays there for weeks).

My old standby was a pair of under armour compression shorts with the cup pocket. They were comfortable enough, but provided zero protection against those rare inner thigh shots. A year or two ago I heard about the McDavid hexpad umpire shorts from another ump, and picked me up a pair. I found them to be a little bulky but not too bad behind the plate. The biggest problem I had with them was when I had a doubleheader...wearing them under my base pants made me feel like I was wearing a football girdle on the bases. I know I could change shorts along with my pants in between games, but I guess I'm a little too lazy for that so the McDavid's were stuffed in the back of the drawer and I went back to the under armour shorts.

The week before last I noticed a rip in the inner lining of the UA's so I went online to order me another pair. As luck would have it I tumbled across a pair of catchers shorts that are the same brand as my cup (shock doctor). They looked very comfortable and even had a little padding that could help to soften some "blows". They were pricey, but with all of the games I've worked this year, I've made enough $ to take a chance on them.

http://www.baseballexp.com/Baseball-Apparel/Adult-Compression-Sliding-Shorts/Shock-Doctor-Mens-Catchers-Sliding-Shorts

From the first moment I put them on I was in love! These things are the most comfortable things I've ever worn under my pants, and you can't even tell you're wearing a cup when you put it in the padded pocket. Thankfully I have not had occasion to test the small padding on the thighs, but a little is better than nothing. The comfort factor is a really big deal as I am starting a busy time right now with PONY 13 and Colt Region Tournaments, PONY Section(s), plus PONY 13 and Palomino Zone Tournaments all taking place over the next 3 weeks. When you add the 100+ degree heat to all of those games, being comfortable "down there" is very important.

If anybody else has been wearing these shorts for any period of time, I'd like some feedback on how well they have been holding up. For the price I would expect them to last at least 2-3 years, but you never know.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't like the XO or Shock DR sliding shorts...the cup floats away from my body when in my stance. I have had my cup slammed up against me a couple of times...Nutty Buddy for me!

With this one the cup does not move for me at all. I would be very surprised if you had that problem with this model. The cup pouch has padding sewed in around it that seems to keep it comfortably up against my body.

With this one the cup does not move for me at all. I would be very surprised if you had that problem with this model. The cup pouch has padding sewed in around it that seems to keep it comfortably up against my body.

For $50 a pair, :wow: they better do way more than that. :eek:

For $50 a pair, :eek: they better do way more than that. B)
Yeah, at that price I want a little "service" along with the shorts!:wow:

Yeah, at that price I want a little "service" along with the shorts!:wow:

So I am watching the All-Star game after punching up this thread during a commercial. My little girl walks by, reads, with an incredulous tone, "The most comfortable undershorts I've ever worn?!?"

"Is that the kind of stuff all you old umpires chat about?"

Thanks, sasmallen ... I appreciate it.

So I am watching the All-Star game after punching up this thread during a commercial. My little girl walks by, reads, with an incredulous tone, "The most comfortable undershorts I've ever worn?!?"

"Is that the kind of stuff all you old umpires chat about?"

Thanks, sasmallen ... I appreciate it.

You don't want to know the other titles I came up with that didn't make the cut. :wow:

By the way, one colt and one palomino game tonight and the under shorts are still comfortable!

You don't want to know the other titles I came up with that didn't make the cut. :agasp_:

By the way, one colt and one palomino game tonight and the under shorts are still comfortable!

I don't want to get TOO personal, but if your game is over and you're home, you could (maybe even should) take the shorts off and wash them.

Funny you should bring this topic up. I currently wear the UA shorts with the UA cup, but it floats on you, and I am constantly adjusting my gear if you know what I mean. My mcdavid regular compression shorts are super tight, and my cup doesnt move, but my underarmour are much more comfortable, and breathe better. Now i wear UA tihgts over my UA shorts with cup, because they absorb moisture better, and I dont have that look like I pissed my pants. I just wish UA made tights with a cup pocket, that I would hope dont float your protective cup. Oh well, Maybe these are my next purchase!!

Funny you should bring this topic up. I currently wear the UA shorts with the UA cup, but it floats on you, and I am constantly adjusting my gear if you know what I mean. My mcdavid regular compression shorts are super tight, and my cup doesnt move, but my underarmour are much more comfortable, and breathe better. Now i wear UA tihgts over my UA shorts with cup, because they absorb moisture better, and I dont have that look like I pissed my pants. I just wish UA made tights with a cup pocket, that I would hope dont float your protective cup. Oh well, Maybe these are my next purchase!!

I just ordered one of these www.nuttybuddy.com on a recommendation from several guys in our association.

I just ordered one of these www.nuttybuddy.com on a recommendation from several guys in our association.

That was the most uncomfortable cup I ever wore. But by trying it, I started to use a jock again, like it requires. Now, since I discovered the UnderArmour breathable jock, I wear it under the McDavid tights with my standard-shape carbon steel flex cup and the stability, protection and comfort are incomparable.

The reason that the Nutty Buddy is so uncomfortable is due to its revolutionary shape. What makes it "anatomically correct" are the two nut holders. That's great, except those two protrusions dig into the inside of each of your thighs when you walk, run, stand or squat. The protection seems to be optimal, but the discomfort is dreadful.

Now, if it was $10.00 like it's supposed to be, I would have thrown it out and chalked it up like a cheap cap or some other mistake. But it was $28.00 shipped. I wasn't going to swallow that for this gimmick. So I wrote them and they had me send it back. It then cost me only the $8.00 shipping to try the thing. It once cost me $29.00 in shipping and tailoring to try on a pair of Fechheimer slacks, so I felt like I got off easy with this gimmicky cup.

That was the most uncomfortable cup I ever wore. But by trying it, I started to use a jock again, like it requires. Now, since I discovered the UnderArmour breathable jock, I wear it under the McDavid tights with my standard-shape carbon steel flex cup and the stability, protection and comfort are incomparable.

The reason that the Nutty Buddy is so uncomfortable is due to its revolutionary shape. What makes it "anatomically correct" are the two nut holders. That's great, except those two protrusions dig into the inside of each of your thighs when you walk, run, stand or squat. The protection seems to be optimal, but the discomfort is dreadful.

Now, if it was $10.00 like it's supposed to be, I would have thrown it out and chalked it up like a cheap cap or some other mistake. But it was $28.00 shipped. I wasn't going to swallow that for this gimmick. So I wrote them and they had me send it back. It then cost me only the $8.00 shipping to try the thing. It once cost me $29.00 in shipping and tailoring to try on a pair of Fechheimer slacks, so I felt like I got off easy with this gimmicky cup.

I"ve experienced none of the problems you cite. :kissass: