Favorite Brand of shirts?

ump117
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3632 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I use Majestic and Ultimate Umpire shirts for working the plate.. and honigs on the bases. I prefer the cotton collars of the majestic and the stretchy material of the Ultimate Umpire shirt (I only have the Ultimate shirt in Navy, the other colors are Majestic). As for the bases I like honigs because I'm a small guy and their medium shirts fit me perfectly.

For summer, Official's Choice.

Have you bought from them recently and if so any issues? I have some and need some more but I heard there were some problems so wanted to check it out before I buy

The best thing about them is after a few washings, you have a shirt with breast cancer awareness buttons.

• 7 months later...

I have ordered shirts from 5-6 smaller mfrs just to try them out, and they have all been terrible. . . until now.

I found this guy on ebay and ordered one of his prototype shirts he produced this year.

Long story short - it is a fantastic shirt @ $20 shipped. VERY comparable to Smitty in fit and stretchyness, yet still edges Smitty on Price and Material. He intends to produce more of the mainstream colors and styles next year. Sounds like he can produce a custom shirt as well for an association.

You may want to spend $20 (no tax, free shipping) and pick up one of his Navy shirts just to try it out, especially if you think you might be buying new shirts next year. If you do, be sure to send him feedback. Sounds like he is looking to make the next great value in umpire shirts.

Here is my email trail with him. Shirt pictures follow the email trail below.

Dear t-ringer,

What brand is this shirt? For $20 + free shipping I might be willing to try one.

Typically, unknown brands are a waste of money because they don't fit as expected.

Thanks for any info you can send.

http://www.ebay.com/...99#ht_658wt_916

Store link: http://www.ebay.com/sch/t-ringer/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=25&_trksid=p3692

Brand New Baseball/Softball Umpire Shirt, Navy Blue - AWESOME!!! Free Shipping!

Item Id: 280869597081

End time: May-24-12 19:23:41 PDT

Seller:

t-ringer (1314)

100.0% Positive Feedback

Member since Nov-26-00 in United States

Listing Status: This message was sent while the listing was active.

Hello!

This shirt is manufactured for us to our specs by a factory we have used for other items for our business. Since we are a huge Smitty dealer, we had the shirts cut to similar specs but because of what I hear from the umpire community, we made the following changes:

1) lighter weight for summer wear (our shirt = 5 oz moisture wicking; Smitty = 5.5 oz)

2) we added 1/2" to the sleeve length and 1" to sleeve opening (better when wearing chest protectors)

3) additional length to body for additional tuck in length

I agree about the unknown brands being a waste of money. I have seen them also. Due to the time frame of production and the season approaching, we bought about 1000 of these unseen (again, we have used this manufacturer for other items, and their quality is very good). When they hit the door, we could not believe how good they are. So much, that for 2013 we are adding at least 3 colors (black, powder blue & carolina blue/black). Because of the current demand of the MLB black shirts, I ordered a few hundred of them as well for immediate delivery (due in here anytime now, you will also see those on ebay when I receive them).

Because of production time, I cancelled the label placement due to delaying the shipment by another week, & I needed them here more than I needed the label on them. We will worry about our label later. As you can see from our feedback, it is very good. I have had leagues buying 30-50 of these at a time for their umpires after somebody bought 1, like you are thinking, and I get the same great feedback/response.

I encourage you to buy 1 (or a hundred!) and give us your feedback/thoughts. It is the only way we can learn and make any necessary adjustments. But again, we really like them.

thanks for asking,

Terry

Hi Terry -

I am VERY IMPRESSED with this shirt!

Let me just tell you that the longer length is a HUGE improvement and probably the #1 feature of this shirt (along with the price). I can not wait until you get more colors.

You probably already know this, but in 2012, Smitty changed the sizing on their shirts. They now "size up" for the plate like many other mfrs (except ump-attire ultimate and a few smaller brands). I would suggest doing the same with your shirt next year and make it clear to the buyer.

Please keep me in the loop on any other equipment you have.

Cheers

Hey!

Glad you love the shirt as much as we do. I think we still need to add a little more length to them, as well as some minor tweaking. I agree about the plate shirt and the bigger size. Before we order for next year, I will take some new measurements and we will adjust the sizing. Your (and many others) feedback is critical as we continue to grow this portion of our business.

BTW - the new black MLB replica shirts are in - FANTASTIC!!! They cost me $2 more due to a lower qty and the body piping, so they are $22 (ebay auction number: 270977216585). I did a special make up of the same shirt for a group in Chicago. It was vegas gold body with black trim. Lots of positive feedback.

Don't hesitate to call me anytime at the store.

Looking forward to hearing back from you!

Terry

The t-ringer shirt is well-constructed. This shirt is noticeably lighter,thinner and softer than my 2011 powder blue smitty. However, when I compare this same shirt to my 2012 Navy Smitty, the material seems to be a similar weight and thickness, but the material is still softer. I wonder if Smitty has gone with a lighter material in 2012? Or is it just a Navy thing? Not sure. . .

7235095760_f8942e4f4a.jpg

The t-ringer shirt is sized in the chest exactly like a 2011 smitty.

The t-ringer shirt is one inch longer in length, but Terry says he wants to make this a little longer next year which is a good thing, I think. I know a few tall umpires who have issues staying tucked with a CP.

7235152242_8fba7b9fdc.jpg

The t-ringer shirt is at least another 1/2" longer in the sleeve and has a wider opening.

7235071992_419d6b438e.jpg

The color is identical to the Navy Smitty. It is a dark, rich, consistent Navy which is darker than my Navy Dalcos (which are way too light). Also, the navy collar matches the navy shirt. I have had Navy shirts where the collar and shirt do not match (darker collar).

7235084116_4552e01b07.jpg

I have ordered shirts from 5-6 smaller mfrs just to try them out, and they have all been terrible. . . until now.

I found this guy on ebay and ordered one of his prototype shirts he produced this year.

Long story short - it is a fantastic shirt @ $20 shipped. VERY comparable to Smitty in fit and stretchyness, yet still edges Smitty on Price and Material. He intends to produce more of the mainstream colors and styles next year. Sounds like he can produce a custom shirt as well for an association.

You may want to spend $20 (no tax, free shipping) and pick up one of his Navy shirts just to try it out, especially if you think you might be buying new shirts next year. If you do, be sure to send him feedback. Sounds like he is looking to make the next great value in umpire shirts.

Dear t-ringer,

What brand is this shirt? For $20 + free shipping I might be willing to try one.

Typically, unknown brands are a waste of money because they don't fit as expected.

Store link: http://www.ebay.com/...5&_trksid=p3692

Seller:

t-ringer (1314)

100.0% Positive Feedback

Hello!

This shirt is manufactured for us to our specs by a factory we have used for other items for our business. Since we are a huge Smitty dealer, we had the shirts cut to similar specs but because of what I hear from the umpire community, we made the following changes:

1) lighter weight for summer wear (our shirt = 5 oz moisture wicking; Smitty = 5.5 oz)

2) we added 1/2" to the sleeve length and 1" to sleeve opening (better when wearing chest protectors)

I agree about the unknown brands being a waste of money. I have seen them also. Due to the time frame of production and the season approaching, we bought about 1000 of these unseen (again, we have used this manufacturer for other items, and their quality is very good). When they hit the door, we could not believe how good they are. So much, that for 2013 we are adding at least 3 colors (black, powder blue & carolina blue/black). Because of the current demand of the MLB black shirts, I ordered a few hundred of them as well for immediate delivery (due in here anytime now, you will also see those on ebay when I receive them).

Because of production time, I cancelled the label placement due to delaying the shipment by another week, & I needed them here more than I needed the label on them. We will worry about our label later. As you can see from our feedback, it is very good. I have had leagues buying 30-50 of these at a time for their umpires after somebody bought 1, like you are thinking, and I get the same great feedback/response.

I encourage you to buy 1 (or a hundred!) and give us your feedback/thoughts. It is the only way we can learn and make any necessary adjustments. But again, we really like them.

thanks for asking,

Terry

Hi Terry -

Let me just tell you that the longer length is a HUGE improvement and probably the #1 feature of this shirt (along with the price). I can not wait until you get more colors.

You probably already know this, but in 2012, Smitty changed the sizing on their shirts. They now "size up" for the plate like many other mfrs (except ump-attire ultimate and a few smaller brands). I would suggest doing the same with your shirt next year and make it clear to the buyer.

Cheers

Hey!

Glad you love the shirt as much as we do. I think we still need to add a little more length to them, as well as some minor tweaking. I agree about the plate shirt and the bigger size. Before we order for next year, I will take some new measurements and we will adjust the sizing. Your (and many others) feedback is critical as we continue to grow this portion of our business.

BTW - the new black MLB replica shirts are in - FANTASTIC!!! They cost me $2 more due to a lower qty and the body piping, so they are $22 (ebay auction number: 270977216585). I did a special make up of the same shirt for a group in Chicago. It was vegas gold body with black trim. Lots of positive feedback.

Terry

The t-ringer shirt is well-constructed. This shirt is noticeably lighter,thinner and softer than my 2011 powder blue smitty. However, when I compare this same shirt to my 2012 Navy Smitty, the material seems to be a similar weight and thickness, but the material is still softer. I wonder if Smitty has gone with a lighter material in 2012? Or is it just a Navy thing? Not sure. . .

The t-ringer shirt is one inch longer in length, but Terry says he wants to make this a little longer next year which is a good thing, I think. I know a few tall umpires who have issues staying tucked with a CP.

The t-ringer shirt is at least another 1/2" longer in the sleeve and has a wider opening.

The color is identical to the Navy Smitty. It is a dark, rich, consistent Navy which is darker than my Navy Dalcos (which are way too light). Also, the navy collar matches the navy shirt. I have had Navy shirts where the collar and shirt do not match (darker collar).

Dear t-ringer,

Seller:

t-ringer (1314)

100.0% Positive Feedback

Hello!

thanks for asking,

Terry

Hi Terry -

Cheers

Hey!

Terry

i agree with you.,the officials call in west virginia.. i bought 7 of those shirts off of terry in navy.. i got them for 15.99 ./..they are made in egypt and i was very impressed . the material was light and it stretches and the sizing is very good .. very roomy.. i also bought smitty plate pants from terry at officials call and loved them..i bought 5 hats and a few accessories..he threw in a couple of line up cards gave me a good discount and free shipping. this was last month and i just ordered another pair of base pants and leg guards from him.. he is very nice . wants ur business and my order was delievered in three days. all my fellow umpires should give this guy a try..im a honigs guy but officials call in west virginia is very very good..and those egyptian shirts i rate them right up there with my smitty and new honigs shirt at a better price

These are simply the best and lightest shirts on the market . They also dry quickly so you can hang them up , spray with Fabreez and your good to go next game !

http://www.cliffkeen.com/officials/baseball-softball/shirts/u126mxs-umpire-shirt

I talked to Terry about shirts when I ordered my Champro shins from him. I have used him for several orders over the last couple years. I didn't order any shirts since I wear them about 4 times a year.

Navy that is...

About the only time we wear Navy anymore is when we are mandated by the state to do so. For me that was Saturday working the stick for the 4A State Finals.

I use Cliff Keen. They are super thin and breathable material. I love them.

My favorite Plate shirt is a Cliff Keen, it just seems to wear well over my equipment. On the bases I use Smitty, They seem to be cut a little tighter for a smaller build like myself.

I use Cliff Keen. They are super thin and breathable material. I love them.

My favorite Plate shirt is a Cliff Keen, it just seems to wear well over my equipment. On the bases I use Smitty, They seem to be cut a little tighter for a smaller build like myself.

Until 2012 versions which are now cut for plate gear

• 2 weeks later...

Dear t-ringer,

Seller:

t-ringer (1314)

100.0% Positive Feedback

Hello!

thanks for asking,

Terry

Hi Terry -

Cheers

Hey!

Terry

Guys, ....

I wanted to let you know that I'm going to post something here in the equipment forum on Terry's MLB replica shirt ..... I ordered a couple for me and my primary partner for summer tourneys and we rocked them over the weekend ........impressed ........ look for the new thread.

• 1 month later...

I was working a Regional Babe Ruth tourney last weekend. We were working 3 & 4 man the whole time. I have the major colors except white and the crew wanted to go white! One of the staff guys had ordered a couple of the Smitty shirts from PurchaseOfficials.com. When he ordered the shirts he ordered a L and an XL for base and plate. The XL was a 2012 model and the L was an older version...I guess just the way the order was pulled. Anyway, he pulls out this XL Smitty and says try it on it might fit so I did. I have a red short sleeve and a blue long sleeve from Smitty. I LOVE the long sleeve and will get one in black for next season to replace my Cliff Keen which is OK. The short sleeve I own is a solid shirt. Fits close in the 2XL size but has good stretch and is pretty comfortable, no complaints.

Now back to the white shirt that I tried on....WOW! The fabric is thinner than the Smitty's that I currently own, not that they are thick. The fabric had a very nice feel and air flow was pretty good even for a 94 degree 4pm start. This shirt is built for the plate!!! I am a true 2XL. Not just thru the chest but also in neck size and sleeve length. Dress shirts are 19/36 and I need all of both the neck and sleeve length. The XL fit with room to spare and with the All Star System 7 CP I own it should make for a trim fit behind the stick. Sleeve length was good, they hung down to the break at the elbow but not below. I could feel the cuff on my arm giving an out call but I had no restriction because it hung too low...as Goldie would say..."just right". Construction look solid as well. No loose threads or seems that looked loose. Inside collar was taped and sewn just as it should be and the piping on cuffs was correct color and thickness to match other brands of shirts. Tail was long, for me that is a good thing. I have a tall torso and the length will prevent tucking issue even behind the plate.

Bottom line...I think I just found a new brand of shirt as my mainstay. Light, well built, correct colors and very reasonable on the pocket book. Comparing this shirt to the new Honig's shirts...Smitty hands down IMHO. Having now used both of them...Smitty all the way!

I was working a Regional Babe Ruth tourney last weekend. We were working 3 & 4 man the whole time. I have the major colors except white and the crew wanted to go white! One of the staff guys had ordered a couple of the Smitty shirts from PurchaseOfficials.com. When he ordered the shirts he ordered a L and an XL for base and plate. The XL was a 2012 model and the L was an older version...I guess just the way the order was pulled. Anyway, he pulls out this XL Smitty and says try it on it might fit so I did. I have a red short sleeve and a blue long sleeve from Smitty. I LOVE the long sleeve and will get one in black for next season to replace my Cliff Keen which is OK. The short sleeve I own is a solid shirt. Fits close in the 2XL size but has good stretch and is pretty comfortable, no complaints.

Now back to the white shirt that I tried on....WOW! The fabric is thinner than the Smitty's that I currently own, not that they are thick. The fabric had a very nice feel and air flow was pretty good even for a 94 degree 4pm start. This shirt is built for the plate!!! I am a true 2XL. Not just thru the chest but also in neck size and sleeve length. Dress shirts are 19/36 and I need all of both the neck and sleeve length. The XL fit with room to spare and with the All Star System 7 CP I own it should make for a trim fit behind the stick. Sleeve length was good, they hung down to the break at the elbow but not below. I could feel the cuff on my arm giving an out call but I had no restriction because it hung too low...as Goldie would say..."just right". Construction look solid as well. No loose threads or seems that looked loose. Inside collar was taped and sewn just as it should be and the piping on cuffs was correct color and thickness to match other brands of shirts. Tail was long, for me that is a good thing. I have a tall torso and the length will prevent tucking issue even behind the plate.

Bottom line...I think I just found a new brand of shirt as my mainstay. Light, well built, correct colors and very reasonable on the pocket book. Comparing this shirt to the new Honig's shirts...Smitty hands down IMHO. Having now used both of them...Smitty all the way!

Bam!! :D

Now, going forward, ask the guys at Purchase Officials what model they have, ....Smittys (as you've discovered) has upsized for plate this year, which is nice!

I've used many different brands of shirts, and Honigs is by far my favortie. It's the closet to the "old style" MLB Majestic shirts that I could find (I have an old MLB shirt given to me by Lance Barskdale, for comparison). They look great, feel great, and Honigs has always provided me with great customer service.

2012 Smitty's are BIGGER....not even close. Like I said in my quick review above. I am a solid 2X in shirts...an XL fit my just fine and I even had room to wear a CP under it...

EXACTLY! For 2012 , ....Smitty shirts are sized up to fit a chest protector comfortably! It's actually how ALL umpire shirts should be sized......