In Depth Evaluation of Wilson A9779 Umpire's Bag on Wheels:

jkumpire
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4641 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Friends,

Recently, as you know, I needed to get a new bag for my gear. I dearly loved the Force3/JEAPU bags, but they just didn't work for me. So I went bag hunting. Over the years I have used almost every bag in the market, including an MLB trunk for a short time, so I have a little insight about using bags to carry gear in. In many ways, the old +POS soft side carry bag was the best of the bunch, but like most shoulder bags they are not adequate in the days of multiple uniform colors, HSM's and hardshell protectors. +POS went to more standard carry bags in the mid 1990's, near the end of their first run of business, but on ebay you will still see the older carry bag available. If it fits your needs, it is worth looking at (or even buying my copy if you want it!).

My new bag is the Wilson A9779 bag, which I purchased for $99.00 plus shipping, making it about $113.00 total. If i find that I would prefer the Diamond bag, I will dump this one and evaluate the Diamond. But I though I would start to tell you about this bag, and see if this might help with your evaluation. In time, I will add pictures to this evaluation.

I. Size and Handling:

As of this point in time, you basically have two choices for umpires bag sizing: The Wilson A9779, 3n2 Big Bag, Honigs A93, and the Diamond 36" bag at roughly at 36"L x 16"W x 16"W/height) and the Force3/Diamond 30" bag at roughly 32" x 15" x 15". These bags all have rollers, at least one or two separate compartments, and can carry both uniforms and gear in separate compartments (except for the 3n2 bag which only has end pockets that shoes can fit in). All the aforementioned bags have carry straps but the large Diamond bag. All of them have straps on the ends to pull or lift bags with. One advantage of the Force 3 is the molded plastic handle on the bottom of the bag to pick it up with. The 3n2 bag has a shoulder strap for your use, I'm not sure anyone can use it, but it is there.

One main difference between the small bags and the large bags detailed above is the telescoping handle, or lack of it. All the large bags (except for the Honigs A93) do not have the telescoping handle as found on most modern rolling luggage, the smaller Diamond and Force 3 do. I personally prefer the handle, but I can see why they might be hard to handle on big bags. Not that the telescoping handle is the be all end all, the Force 3 bag is hard to get over bumps, door jams and other irregular parts of the walkways we use. Many times I would find the bag hit a rough spot and the telescoping handle bag will flip over on its side, or flip on one wheel, making it hard to carry. The larger and wider bags are more stable since they are wider, and the weight of the bag is closer to the handle. The long telescoping handle makes bags much longer, and putting the weight of the bag so far away from the handle makes them inherently less stable (the physics are easy as to why this happens, remember how easy it is to move weight on the far end of a fulcrum as opposed to a shorter one?).

More later!

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I have used this bag for around two months so here is my evaluation, FWIW

1. I am amazed at how much this bag holds. Frankly, the lighter weight nylon was a turn off before I got the bag, but it has it advantages. First and foremost being the fact that you can stuff more things in it, and it will stretch. Also, it is lighter than the Diamond.

As of right now in the bottom part of the case, I have 2 CP's, 2 sets of shin guards, 1 Wilson Ti mask, one pair of size 15 base shoes, and some underclothing and protective gear. I am not an overly organized person and a careful packer could do better than I, but it does a great job for me. If you only carry one cp and shin set, you could put multiple pairs of shoes on it, and lots of clothing tucked in the corners. With all the big gear I have, it is at times hard to zip up, but I could never get this much in the lower compartment of a Force 3 bag, or a Diamond bag.

2. In the second level, which does not go the length of the bag because of the wet clothes or shoe bag, even with all the stuff in the lower case (again, an advantage of the lighter nylon), I have some undershirts, a hat carrier from a national chain of hat stores that holds 5 hats, and a gift from my force 3 bag. With the Force 3 bag you get a set of pant and shirt carriers that you Velcro into a package, a very neat feature to care for your clothes. I carry one for pants that holds 3 pairs, and two shirt holders, one holding Creme, College Powder, and Black shirts, and another holding other colors. In the wet bag/shoes bag I carry my size 15 Reebok plate shoes, and shoe cleaning supplies. I could not fit both plate and base shoes in them, if you feet are smaller, they would fit. The wet bag, made out of mesh is also attached here, but I don't use it.

One thing I do not like about this bag is the supposed dividers for this level that come with the bag. They are in essence worthless. they are extremely flimsy, unlike the Diamond bag, and attach like the Diamond bag with Velcro to the sides of the bag. For me, they were a compete waste of time, YMMV.

3. The third and top level sits on top of the second level, but not does go all the way across it. Unlike the second level which has zippers that open the bag three ways, this level/compartment only opens two ways. This is not overly convenient. But just like the Diamond, int he top lid of this section is a large set of pockets for indicators/brushes/pens, etc. There is also a valuables pocket, a small black fabric zipper pouch. Again, the lighter vinyl is a blessing, because I can fill the pockets, and put in three sets of ball bags, my belt, a towel to shower with, and other sundries.

In other words, i can put a ton of stuff in this bag, in a decently organized fashion.

4. As you can tell from earlier posts about equipment bags, I like bags with a telescoping handle. This bag does not have one but in spite of this lack of a feature, i can move it around with ease. Its weight is no problem to lift even fully packed. Over the long term I am not sure about how well it will last, since for all it's advantages, the lighter bag material may not be able to take the pounding of loading, rolling up stairs, airport use, and all the other punishment this bag will take. But for the amount of equipment it handles, it beats the Force 3 and the Diamond in my experience.

This post is too long at this point, so I will stop. But I will answer any questions you have.

I think you and I have different Wilson bags, but this is how I use mine:

Since the top, central compartment is the easiest to get to, I keep my Douglas, Diamond Featherweight LGs, and Diamond mask there.

Plate shoes in the sealed shoe section, and hats, accessories, and base shoes in the zippered section on the opposite end of the bag. Numbers and patches are tucked inside the hidden velcro pocket.

Since I barely need the bottom compartment, and I those zippers are difficult to work with, I keep misc junk in there, like extra undergarments and accessories, socks, rulebooks, sunscreen, and other papers. It truly is a waste of space, but I like to travel as light as possible because I never like to keep this bag in my car overnight. I used to keep my shirts folded in there too, but nowadays I just take the shirts out of my closet on my way out, and hang them in the car. Getting in and out of that part of the bag can be frustrating.

My bag never came with dividers but I see no use for them.

I don't like the mobility of this bag. It doesn't stand on its end, the nylon handles are not comfortable, and the bag can tip-over if you accidentally drop from a curb or step at an angle. This bag is also bulky, has an inflexible base, and in my opinion, better suited to simply camp in your trunk all season long.

I think you and I have different Wilson bags, but this is how I use mine:

Since the top, central compartment is the easiest to get to, I keep my Douglas, Diamond Featherweight LGs, and Diamond mask there.

Plate shoes in the sealed shoe section, and hats, accessories, and base shoes in the zippered section on the opposite end of the bag. Numbers and patches are tucked inside the hidden velcro pocket.

Since I barely need the bottom compartment, and I those zippers are difficult to work with, I keep misc junk in there, like extra undergarments and accessories, socks, rulebooks, sunscreen, and other papers. It truly is a waste of space, but I like to travel as light as possible because I never like to keep this bag in my car overnight. I used to keep my shirts folded in there too, but nowadays I just take the shirts out of my closet on my way out, and hang them in the car. Getting in and out of that part of the bag can be frustrating.

My bag never came with dividers but I see no use for them.

I don't like the mobility of this bag. It doesn't stand on its end, the nylon handles are not comfortable, and the bag can tip-over if you accidentally drop from a curb or step at an angle. This bag is also bulky, has an inflexible base, and in my opinion, better suited to simply camp in your trunk all season long.

Yes, this is an older model Wilson bag I believe.