Wake-up calls!

Zippy
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4693 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Interesting day today.

I worked four games at a 10u softball tournament, two of them on the plate. First game went pretty normal for a softball game at that age, as my shins were getting tagged at least once per batter, or so it seemed. My DavisShins did a great job though, and this was a non-issue.

My second plate is where the "eye-openers" happened.

It started with two shots straight to the end of my left big toe. I was wearing my Mizuno base shoes. I have been meaning to buy some Reebok plate shoes for some time, and I was planning to buy them with the check from this weekend. It was just my rotten luck that I would get hit twice there in the same game. Of course, these girls weren't throwing hard, so it didn't hurt too bad, and I can't feel it now, but this definitely will add to my motivation to get some plate shoes.

Here's the fun one. I use a silver Diamond Featherweight mask, which I have never had any problems with. It is always fun to see the look on other umpire's faces when they pick it up, and it has taken its fair share of hits for me without any problems. With about an inning left in the game, a ball hit the catchers glove, came towards my head and somehow found the space between the extension bar on the top and the bar protecting my right ear, and glanced the top of my head. It stung a little, but really didn't get me too bad, just enough to make me take time and see if I was ok. It scared me more than anything else. A few hours later, I feel fine, but I worry when I think of what could happen when a ball that isn't thrown by a 10 year old softball pitcher catches me in the same place.

I'm not trying to scare anybody away from getting the Diamond mask, and it may never happen again, but I think it might be time to start shopping for a HSM.

For the record, my mask was adjusted right, and I don't remember looking down to expose the top of my head. Is there anything I can do to try and prevent this from happening again?

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Get the plate shoes ASAP!

As for the mask like you say it is a good mask, I wouldn't have any concerns using it. My question after reading how it hit you is was there any possibility you either has improper head positioning or did you move/flinch to expose your head that way?

I cant picture how it would have happened otherwise, but anything is possible.

As for the mask like you say it is a good mask, I wouldn't have any concerns using it. My question after reading how it hit you is was there any possibility you either has improper head positioning or did you move/flinch to expose your head that way?

I concur ....

Honig's has New Balance 450s for $70 right now....

I also thought that maybe you're moving your head and that's why that pitch caught you ........

Get plate shoes ASAP.

As far as mask or any other equipment, one thing I have learned, sooner or later the ball will find a way to get you where there are is no padding.

During a Adult Game (Baseball not Softball) yesterday I took a foul in the right shoulder.

I wear a Wilson Gold cp.

The ball some how found the seam between the plates and made its way between them and just got the padding in that area.

It stung like a hell.

Right arm hurt most of yesterday but after a good night sleep with some nice Doctor prescribed medicine I always have on hand, it is fine this morning.

I concur ....

I also thought that maybe you're moving your head and that's why that pitch caught you ........

Is that sale still valid? I went to order a pair after my post on shoes and it looks like they are $97 or so. Am I looking at the wrong ones? Probably a day late as is my normal MO...:crybaby2:

Thanks for the input guys!

I ordered some Reebok plate shoes (low, all black) last night from Ump-Attire and they should be here by my next double header on Wednesday.

As for the mask, I had the same thought as most of you. It is possible that I was set up too high in the slot, thus looking down at the plate to expose my head. But it seemed to me that I was set up right, and wasn't tracking the ball with my head. I wish somebody would have seen it to tell me what happened. Either way, it wouldn't have happened with a bucket on.

I ordered some Reebok plate shoes (low, all black) last night from Ump-Attire and they should be here by my next double header on Wednesday.

As for the mask, I had the same thought as most of you. It is possible that I was set up too high in the slot, thus looking down at the plate to expose my head. But it seemed to me that I was set up right, and wasn't tracking the ball with my head. I wish somebody would have seen it to tell me what happened. Either way, it wouldn't have happened with a bucket on.

Good Choice on the Reeboks! anim_32.gif

Good Choice on the Reeboks! anim_32.gif

Why thank you! I just hope they will fit ok!

I concur ....

Is that sale still valid? I went to order a pair after my post on shoes and it looks like they are $97 or so. Am I looking at the wrong ones? Probably a day late as is my normal MO...:crybaby2:

Looks like the sale is over...

Looks like the sale is over...

If it is, give them a call. They might let you still get it for that sale price.

Just to give everybody an update, my shoes came in.

I've worked 4 games in them so far, and in every game I have taken one off of the foot. 3 of the shots probably would have knocked me down, but the Reeboks did a great job protecting my feet.

Looking back, it was reeeally stupid of me to wear base shoes behind the plate. One of the hits in particular (16U fastpitch) definitely could have broken something in my foot had I not been wearing the Reeboks. The force of the impact shoved my foot back, but I felt no pain at all! This was easily the best investment of all of my gear to date!