Wool or Mesh?

JohnT
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 5800 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would definitely recommend wool. IMHO it looks sharper. Now the mesh hats are easier to care for and can even be thrown in the wash from what I understand. The wool I just spray down with fresh water after each game and they hold up well. I would only expect to get about 2 seasons out of a hat either way. They will start to fade and not look as sharp.

Hey all,

I would definitely go with wool, unless a majority of the other umpires you work with have the mesh.

As for cleaning the wool, I use a cap buddy like the one on the top. I run it through the dishwasher, with soap, without dishes, on the top rack. When it is done, I put it in the dryer on an air dry setting.

I have had my hats for going on 4 years, and they look new after they have been cleaned.

Bigdog:cool:

My association doesn't allow mesh, so it's an easy one for me. But I think the wool looks better anyway.

I also use the cap buddy, but I do them in the washing machine with the regular laundry and air dry. They stay neat and clean and just discarded my oldest one and that was because the bill got frayed from my HSM.

I've made apropriate adjustment so that doesn't happen again.

I am also only allowed to wear the wool. I agree withthe others it wears better and looks a whole heck of alot better. And it is a bit of tradition. Im sure mesh is a bit cooler but unless your in the heat of Texas, you should be good to go!!! balls and strikes baby!!!

I have wool hats and mesh hats. I like the mesh hats better now that the wool. The wool hats fade over time and then the mesh hats lose its shape it not put in a keeper of some sort. It tends to wrinkle easy. I have tried the fitted hats and the adjustable ones. I have not use and adjustable hat in a long time except for those that are given to me for working state tournaments.

The fitted hats are like shoes, you need to try them on to see if the fit is good. There are now flexi-fit hats, either wool or now mesh. Hats can cost around $10 to $12 each. I have found a site that offers hats much cheaper than that. They are flexi-fit mech hats but the prices are very good. Here is the site address......

http://www.sport-smart.com/proflex-fit-hats-jersey-mesh.htm