IFF Interpretation

Umpire in Chief
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 5657 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I received this in an email from a colleague and thought it was an interesting situation...

I have a question on the interpretation of the infield fly rule...

Here is the example...

We have runners on first and second with no outs, batter hits a pop fly to the second baseman just short of the fringe of the outfield. The second baseman darts off to cover second base on the hit. The first baseman darts off to cover the play at first and the ball drops on the infield just behind where the second baseman would have been had he not ran to second for the play. Do we have infield fly?

When the fielder does not attempt to catch the ball on an infield fly is it still considered and infield fly? I thought we always allow the ball to make its downward track first before we make the call so we can determine where the fielder is in relation to the play. This would constitute the ordinary effort- Correct.

Let me know what you think.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can stupid supercede ordinary effort? I gotta go with ordinary effort...IFF, batter out. The rule says "...can be caught..." that's what I'm basing my interp on.

I will add to the consensus here. You have IFF. Even though infielders went to cover their respective bags, the play still meets the criteria. Ordinary effort would have resulted in a catch. Then, when you make that call know you will probably have some paperwork to do. I will bet the manager will have some choice words regarding the rule interpritation.which is correct by the way

Here's a copy of the email I sent to my friend...

I'm no rules expert but here's my interpretation…

This is an infield fly and the rule would apply. The ball landing on the fringe right behind the spot vacated behind the second baseman it would be hard to convince me it wouldn't have been caught with "ordinary effort" by the second baseman if he had played the ball. Even with nobody attempting to make the catch the rule would still apply as the intent of the rule is to protect the offense from being doubled up in a situation where they would normally be forced to run. In your situation I couldn't put the offense in jeopardy for an improper defensive play. With the ball dropping and no
IFF
called I could envision the pitcher, first baseman, right fielder, or even the second baseman (after waking up) realizing the ball is down and the runners holding their bases, attempting to then get the double play at 3rd then 2nd. In short, the fielder abandoning his fielding responsibilities, wouldn't be enough to take away the
IFF

Hey all,

You definitely have an IFF, maybe....here's my reasoning:

An IFF is to be called at the apex of the fly. If, at that point, an infielder can make the catch with normal effort(Judgment), the I have an IFF.

IF I think that the infielder would have to run, not jog, or dive to make the play, NO IFF, NO WAY.

Bigdog:cool:

• 3 months later...

IFF all the way. Based on the description, all the criteria were met.

An INFIELD FLY is a fair fly ball (not including a line drive nor an attempted bunt) which can be caught by an infielder with ordinary effort, when first and second, or first, second and third bases are occupied, before two are out. The pitcher, catcher and any outfielder who stations himself in the infield on the play shall be considered infielders for the purpose of this rule.

When it seems apparent that a batted ball will be an Infield Fly, the umpire shall immediately declare “Infield Fly” for the benefit of the runners. If the ball is near the baselines, the umpire shall declare “Infield Fly, if Fair.”

The ball is alive and runners may advance at the risk of the ball being caught, or retouch and advance after the ball is touched, the same as on any fly ball. If the hit becomes a foul ball, it is treated the same as any foul.

If a declared Infield Fly is allowed to fall untouched to the ground, and bounces foul before passing first or third base, it is a foul ball. If a declared Infield Fly falls untouched to the ground outside the baseline, and bounces fair before passing first or third base, it is an Infield Fly.

• 4 weeks later...

You call an iff by the rule book. It dosen't matter if the the baseman bails out on the play. In that case, if the runners reconize it, they can bolt.

It is in the rule book as everyone has posted. And iff is an iff, same as a foul is foul forever. Well, you know what I mean. You just better have a good story for the other coach if he comes after you. Good luck.

I received this in an email from a colleague and thought it was an interesting situation...

I have a question on the interpretation of the infield fly rule...

Here is the example...

We have runners on first and second with no outs, batter hits a pop fly to the second baseman just short of the fringe of the outfield. The second baseman darts off to cover second base on the hit. The first baseman darts off to cover the play at first and the ball drops on the infield just behind where the second baseman would have been had he not ran to second for the play. Do we have infield fly?

When the fielder does not attempt to catch the ball on an infield fly is it still considered and infield fly? I thought we always allow the ball to make its downward track first before we make the call so we can determine where the fielder is in relation to the play. This would constitute the ordinary effort- Correct.

Let me know what you think.

IMO, some get caught up on this "Apex" thing "ordinary effort" etc.

However, a history of the rules will give one the answer.

The IFR was written because the defense was getting "cheap" DP's on just about every fly ball in the infield or apex of the infield / outfield.

Therefore, at least for shaved players, whenever the ball is popped up in the infield (unless it's one of those really windy type days etc.) call the IFR. To not call it will almost certainly result in a DP for the defense.

Therefore, when trying to interpret certain rules we need to look at the history of the rule and examine why it was written. In the case of the IFR it was written to prevent the defense from getting an easy DP. Remember for the most part the rules favor the offense.

Pete Booth