Score on dropped 3rd?

Guest Guest
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3267 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question

Guest Guest

Probably an easy one for you guys.

Situation is 2 outs, R3, drop 3 rd strike goes to the backstop. Batter apparently doesn't realize it's strike 3 and just stands there. My catcher retrieves the ball and ignores r3 as he crosses home and throws to 1st to complete the 3rd out. PU says run counts. I go to discuss and PU says its a timing play. I calmly and confidently state it's not a timing play and run can't score on a play when batter doesn't reach 1st safely. I can tell he's not sure. He confers with partner and changes call. I was sure I was right but then started second guessing myself and wondered if I'd talked him into it. Was I right?

4 answers to this question

Yes, you were correct. And congratulations for not only knowing the rule, but for handling yourself the way you did. Would that all coaches would approach situations in such a manner.