Plantar Fasciitis?

nicshow
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3268 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Yep, I had a heel spur and it's brutal and there's little hope of getting better this season without some sort of professional intervention.

I scheduled an appointment with a podiatrist, who sent me for an x-ray, then based on the that, gave me a shot (18 year-old Dewars is what I asked for but that didn't happen) in the affected heel which didn't hurt (me, anyway) and the relief was immediate.  Then the doctor sold me a couple pair of the correct insoles (not precisely the same as what may be sold at the running shop) and I now think I have six or seven pair.  They are remarkable!  No recurrence.  And, they are less expensive (not covered by my insurance) through the doctor than that available from the running shop.  Bottom line: see your doctor. 

• Like 2

Yep, I had a heel spur and it's brutal and there's little hope of getting better this season without some sort of professional intervention.

I scheduled an appointment with a podiatrist, who sent me for an x-ray, then based on the that, gave me a shot (18 year-old Dewars is what I asked for but that didn't happen) in the affected heel which didn't hurt (me, anyway) and the relief was immediate.  Then the doctor sold me a couple pair of the correct insoles (not precisely the same as what may be sold at the running shop) and I now think I have six or seven pair.  They are remarkable!  No recurrence.  And, they are less expensive (not covered by my insurance) through the doctor than that available from the running shop.  Bottom line: see your doctor. 

heel spurs and PF are different, but both generate from the heel, and have similar "cures"

Until you see your Dr, try:

rolling the foot on a rolling pin / golf ball / tennis ball / frozen water bottle.  It should hurt. Do it ehen you get up in the am.  Do it before and after each game.  Do it whenever you need to sit for a while (that action lets the tendon shrink)

stretch your calf really well before and especially after each game (and between innings if you can do it discretely)

• Like 1

I didn't get Tequila either.  Felt like I had a thorn sticking me in the back of my heel, painful and itching inside at the same time.  Remarkable that Albert Pujols played with that condition for years before having it taken care of.

I second the recommendation to get the shot.  I had it bad during a hoops season a few years ago...nothing helped until I got the shot.  No problems since and always support the arches...frequent replacement of your shoes and inserts if needed.

Getting off the hardwood helped me probably more than anything.  Now I just do football and baseball.  It helps me tremendously to have a season of rest in between sports.

rolling the foot on a rolling pin / golf ball / tennis ball / frozen water bottle.  It should hurt. Do it ehen you get up in the am.  Do it before and after each game.  Do it whenever you need to sit for a while (that action lets the tendon shrink)

stretch your calf really well before and especially after each game (and between innings if you can do it discretely)

The frozen water bottle works great.  I have this problem in both feet and this really does help.  I also bought some compression socks that seem to help. 

THIS ^^^^!

I did this too and it cured mine within a week or so. I started with the frozen water bottle and worked to the the frozen golf ball. Still roll one under my foot about every night just to safe. PF really freakin hurts. Best of luck.

Lots of stretching and ICE, ICE, ICE!  I work at a desk, and used ice several hours a day.  It took me a long time to get rid of mine.  Battled it a little in both feet.  Dr was no help, wanted it to be worse before getting shots/surgery.  I thought it was pretty bad.   It hurt really bad first thing in the morning, and especially after not moving it much.