The Jerry Layne Treatment

T-Rav
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3299 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

2 things I noticed ........

1.  The announcers are talking about calling balls and strikes and that there appeared to be pitches called balls that shouldn't have been.  Now, regardless of how STUPID announcers can be, let's think about the context in general ...........  CALL STRIKES!  The more strikes you call, the less issues you'll tend to have.   (Caveat:  I didnt' see ONE pitch of this game, and have no idea what happened here, but, it's just a general thought overall.   AND,...I'm also NOT saying that this D1 umpire WASN'T calling strikes ...again, ....the commentary in general made me think of the "call strikes" slogan.)

2.  Honigs therma-base jacket on the dish?  Hmmmmm .......

• Like 1

This Umpire had a terrible night.

If he was evaluated that  may send him back to High School ball.

Erratic strike zone. 2 separate ejections, team warnings. Missed call at the plate.

Not a good night.

Erratic strike zone. 2 separate ejections, team warnings. Missed call at the plate.

Not a good night.

If I was you, I wouldn't write nothing in this thread,  Just saying.

Not a good night.

If I was you, I wouldn't write nothing in this thread,  Just saying.

Not me but I know who it was.

1.  The announcers are talking about calling balls and strikes and that there appeared to be pitches called balls that shouldn't have been.  Now, regardless of how STUPID announcers can be, let's think about the context in general ...........  CALL STRIKES!  The more strikes you call, the less issues you'll tend to have.   (Caveat:  I didnt' see ONE pitch of this game, and have no idea what happened here, but, it's just a general thought overall.   AND,...I'm also NOT saying that this D1 umpire WASN'T calling strikes ...again, ....the commentary in general made me think of the "call strikes" slogan.)

I wish it was always true about calling strikes. Had a Varsity game Monday night. Lefty pitcher and he was killing the outside corner to the righty batters. Rung a kid up on 3 straight pitches there. He yelled "We can hit 2 balls outside but not 4 balls out" I was giving that pitch to both teams all game. Only comment from either coach about strike zone all game. the fans however....different story. gotta love smaller town baseball. The classic "he hasn't earned that pitch yet" as the pitcher nails the outside corner at the knees. When is he supposed to earn it otherwise? :P

All in all a really good game Monday though. Nailed a swipe play at home plate where the catcher barely got him on the hip. Of course the 3B (HC) coach comes barreling down going "he missed him by that much" showing his hands about a foot apart. I just said no he got him. I figure if the coach really thought I kicked it that badly he would have been up in my face and an EJ might have happened.

Classic intense district game with the usual chirps about certain plays, but overall a good game from me and my partner. And we finished in 1:50. Full 7 (6.5) innings.

Call strikes indeed!

• Like 1

I saw none of this game.  I also happen to know the umpire in question.  They said his name more than once in the clip.  Might I just observe, his stoicism did more to get his point across than anything else he couldve done.  You already took care of business and dumped him...let him act like a child and give him no reaction.  Well done Rob.

• Like 2

I saw none of this game.  I also happen to know the umpire in question.  They said his name more than once in the clip.  Might I just observe, his stoicism did more to get his point across than anything else he couldve done.  You already took care of business and dumped him...let him act like a child and give him no reaction.  Well done Rob.

Wouldn't NCAA want a verbal warning to the coach about continued arguing after ejection?

My question is, how long do you have to let the guy be in your grill before you can turn your back on him? Damn, you can smell what he had for lunch and tell if he flossed or not! I'm more than likely going to eject and walk away. 

By looking at the coaches hand gestures, it seems like maybe a catcher was "PULLING PITCHES" which umpires cannot call strikes on because when catchers "pull pitches" hes telling everyone that even the catcher doesnt think its close enough to call it a strike.

So what that he was wearing a therma jacket behind the plate? 

:ranton: 

This thread is why a lot of high level umpires don't post on message boards.

Let's see...

We've had suggestions that this was a prolonged argument. The entire video is 1:27 and the discussion didn't last that long. Not sure less than 90 seconds is considered prolonged.

We're wondering about his attire. Ever flown to a game??? You can't check your 5 gal. bucket of crap and every piece of clothing known to man. You pack the minimum you can fit in 1 bag and get it under 50 lbs. and make due.

We're commenting that his zone was so bad he should be demoted to HS ball. I don't know who this guy is, but I know he's working in the best baseball conference in the country. That means he's better than me...and probably you, too. As I told my crew this weekend, you will get fired quicker for what you do at 3 AM than anything you do at 3 PM.

We're wondering where his partners are. The conversation is 1 on 1. I think an SEC umpire can handle that without assistance.

Yes, these video clips are good teaching tools and we can all learn and get better. But until you've worked at that level, until you've worked a game for that guy who is one of the top 3 most difficult coaches to work for in the country, until you've had a coach send video to your supervisor complaining you're calling strikes on pitches off the plate, please think before responding.

:rantoff:

• Like 4

So what that he was wearing a therma jacket behind the plate? 

So what? Because you never see it, ...that's all ...nothing more, nothing less.  Trust me, I'm in Michigan and I know that option CAN come into play during earlier high school games!  Just an observation because you typically don't see the Therma behind the plate.....

:ranton:

This thread is why a lot of high level umpires don't post on message boards.

Let's see...

We've had suggestions that this was a prolonged argument. The entire video is 1:27 and the discussion didn't last that long. Not sure less than 90 seconds is considered prolonged.

We're wondering about his attire. Ever flown to a game??? You can't check your 5 gal. bucket of crap and every piece of clothing known to man. You pack the minimum you can fit in 1 bag and get it under 50 lbs. and make due.

We're commenting that his zone was so bad he should be demoted to HS ball. I don't know who this guy is, but I know he's working in the best baseball conference in the country. That means he's better than me...and probably you, too. As I told my crew this weekend, you will get fired quicker for what you do at 3 AM than anything you do at 3 PM.

We're wondering where his partners are. The conversation is 1 on 1. I think an SEC umpire can handle that without assistance.

Yes, these video clips are good teaching tools and we can all learn and get better. But until you've worked at that level, until you've worked a game for that guy who is one of the top 3 most difficult coaches to work for in the country, until you've had a coach send video to your supervisor complaining you're calling strikes on pitches off the plate, please think before responding.

:rantoff:

Ok this is the second comment in regards to the fact that I noticed he was wearing a Honig's brand Therma base on the plate.  

I wasn't "wondering about his attire".....

Did I say it looked like crap? NO!  Did I say you can't or shouldn't wear that? NO!  Did I say anything at all about this except for the fact that I noticed it? NO!   Jesus H Christ people .... take a pill, my God, relax.

Like I told @woodiemiller ......... You don't see it often ... nothing more, nothing less (it's called an observation). 

LOL @MidAmUmp ..... boy, you take any chance you get to bring in that bucket thread, don't you? :wave:   How does the bucket thread even get thought of in a thread like this? :HS

LOL @MidAmUmp ..... boy, you take any chance you get to bring in that bucket thread, don't you? :wave:   How does the bucket thread even get thought of in a thread like this? :HS

Because it's one of the dumbest GD'd posts I've ever read on this site.

• Like 3

Holy crap, now that's saying a lot!! There are so many to choose from. 

• Like 1

LOL!!

The Finnerty Supply Bucket Thread to @MidAmUmp is like Sarah Palin to the Democrats

they both sit there and mind their own business but they get WAYYYY TOOO much attention! :D 

• Like 1

Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3299 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.