Infield in, C position

RingEmUp
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3281 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Had this yesterday, R2 and R3 with one out and the infield is in.  I'm in C and the shortstop is standing almost shoulder to shoulder with me.  I moved back but then the catcher had to go and try to pick off R3 and I had a terrible angle.  Luckily the play was never close and R3 was safe but is there a better place to set up?  Should I have moved in closer to the mound or what?

The options are move a step or two forward, go to deep B or go to deep C.  You'll find proponents of all.

I prefer deep B, shaded perhaps closer to second base by a step.  I find it gives me a good angle at third and keeps me out of the way of the infielders.

edit:  I should add that it might depend on exactly how far in the fielders come.

• Like 1

I'm not coming in at all. Unless you go almost to the mound or more, you're right in prime fielding or throwing territory with little to no room to maneuver. Those are far more likely than a pickoff at 3B so seems like a fine tradeoff to me.

I would go deep C.  You just have to be quick & careful if there's a play at first, running in and avoiding R2, and then coming to a stop to call the play.

I would go deep C. You just have to be quick & careful if there's a play at first, running in and avoiding R2, and then coming to a stop to call the play.

Avoiding R2? What size field are we talking about?

Larry Sansevere

sent from my phone

• Like 1

I would go deep C. You just have to be quick & careful if there's a play at first, running in and avoiding R2, and then coming to a stop to call the play.

Avoiding R2? What size field are we talking about?

Larry Sansevere

sent from my phone

This was a varsity HS game. 

LMSANS.... I'm just saying be cognizant.  If your running in from deep C to call the play at first, you've got the SS in front of you (who might be making the play), and R2 who may (but probably won't) hesitate.  It has the potential for being messy.  That's all.

Noumpere has a good point about playing deep B, though.  I guess if the situation presents itself this year, I'll see how the given game circumstances are, and where my instincts take me.

LMSANS.... I'm just saying be cognizant.  If your running in from deep C to call the play at first, you've got the SS in front of you (who might be making the play), and R2 who may (but probably won't) hesitate.  It has the potential for being messy.  That's all.

Even if you are in deep C, you're infront of R2

• Like 1

I've been burned on tag plays at 3B from deep B (doubt deep C would have helped much). Now I move in (and left a bit) from 'C' and am on my toes (figuratively). If a GB is hit to F6 (to my right or left), I step forward (stay away from F6) until the ball passes me, let the ball turn me, then go where I need to go. I never get in F6's way. It is a bit intimidating because you are 1-2 steps closer to getting hit by a frozen rope, but that's part of the gig. The advantage of being inside trumps the possibility of getting drilled. 

@ricka56

Why would you ever be in "deep B" working 2-man?

Infield in. I was really just on the 1B side of 2B behind the infielder and runners. The 3B side of 2B conflicted with R2's presence. Not really a Deep 'B'...but that was the only abbreviation I could think of....but that wasn't the point of my post.

There are limitations in a 2-man system. Positioning for Infield IN doesn't have to add to them. YMMV

Noumpere.... or anyone for that matter, how deep of a "deep C" are we talking about?  If F6 is in on the grass, are you just beyond the baseline, or are you back almost to the OF grass?  I was picturing being way back, like when doing a LL game (no leading) when you have to play back to watch if they leave early.  This is why I thought R2 might be an issue.  Perhaps my understanding of "deep C" needs some help.

I move up 1-2 steps. Still gives me an angle on the bases - keeps you near the working area without interfering with fielders.

You need to communicate a little with the fielders, and let them know you will be out of the way if the ball comes your way. On the shot open, with the ball and then make your pivot into the working area.

Never move behind the mound.

- You could get blocked out of a shot back up the middle by the pitcher

- You are an extra distraction for the batter, catcher and your partner

Basically, when the infield moves in - step up and stay on your toes

• Like 1

Noumpere.... or anyone for that matter, how deep of a "deep C" are we talking about?  If F6 is in on the grass, are you just beyond the baseline, or are you back almost to the OF grass?  I was picturing being way back, like when doing a LL game (no leading) when you have to play back to watch if they leave early.  This is why I thought R2 might be an issue.  Perhaps my understanding of "deep C" needs some help.

Roughly the same as deep B or deep C in 3-man (or 4-man, or 6-man).  Maybe a step in front of the baseline.

In my association they said that FHSAA wants us in about 4-5 steps in when the infield comes in. Im not sure why but the last couple times it has been great. No more running in to get a better angle.

I would like to hear @JonnyCat's interpretation of what was taught at TUS.  i know what my son taught me from his time there & what is required to do at his level & it jives with @maineump's mechanics description in post #16.  I tend to move up in C to the corner of the working area behind mound & the view is definitely better there with less scrambling when ball is put in play or for the back picks at 3B.

Basically put your Nutty Buddy in & get up in there!

At TUS they told us to not move up or back. Stay in your normal starting position and adjust left or right as needed when asked by a player to move.

That is what they taught and is also in the PBUC 2 umpire manual.

I personally follow the PBUC manual. I think it keeps you in the best position for all plays and pickoffs, but YMMV.

• Like 2

If there's R2 and/or R3 I'd stay in deep C. Basically, first step on the grass in front of the baseline dirt (or thereabouts). It allows F6 to go left or right, and I won't be in his way, because there's no play at 1B. I'm also in a line with 3B so I can see a tag -- at least, I can see whether or not there's daylight between R3 and the bag. 

If it's bases loaded and a DP is possible, i'll stay in C for a double play. 

If you are in C (where C truly is located - 1/2 way between the mound and 2nd) that's pretty far in for the SS to be playing. I see most guys back farther than 1/2 way, which would then put the SS in your pocket or side by side. At the clinics we're constantly moving guys up in B & C because they are too deep. Check that first and make sure you are exactly where you should be and not too deep to start. 

To answer another question - Deep C & Deep B is on the infield grass/dirt line.

I would agree with TUS...which is now apparently the UTA...stay where you are in "True C" and move 1 step either way to give the SS some space.

However, if you feel compelled to move to get out of harms way, move to Deep B. The infield has already told you they are doing 1 of 2 things: 1) Throwing home -OR- 2) Looking R3 back and throwing to 1st. So you're play will be at 1st.

• Like 4

Post pitch when there is possible throw by F2  to 1B or 3B, I typically take a couple steps towards the cut out but still keeping eye on the catcher (or ball) to better my angle.  A fellow umpire that does college and AA ball as well as high school ball told me to try to do this as it is a good post pitch mechanic.  Maybe could have helped ya.  I do and I like it cause it keeps me involved and moving (slight movement but still some).

TUS taught a post pitch step with R1 only or R3 only for potential picks by F2. With R1, after the pitch is caught, take a couple of steps towards the midpoint of the runners lane. With R3, take a couple of steps towards the 45' point. With R2 only or multiple runners, you do not do a post pitch step.

The post pitch step is a new mechanic for me, and while I try to do it, I find myself doing it only about 75% of the time. I'll get it, but it takes time for an old dog to learn new tricks!

• Like 1

TUS taught a post pitch step with R1 only or R3 only for potential picks by F2. With R1, after the pitch is caught, take a couple of steps towards the midpoint of the runners lane. With R3, take a couple of steps towards the 45' point. With R2 only or multiple runners, you do not do a post pitch step.

The post pitch step is a new mechanic for me, and while I try to do it, I find myself doing it only about 75% of the time. I'll get it, but it takes time for an old dog to learn new tricks!

I like this mechanic.