Start Age for Officiating Debate in Pgh paper

MRG9999
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3309 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Found this article in a local newspaper and thought that I would post it to find what the thoughts are of U-E

Here is a little excerpt from the article below:

Start age debated

The state's child labor law bars anyone younger than 14 from refereeing. State Rep. Brian Ellis, R-Butler, is trying to change that.

He has introduced legislation that would allow 12- and 13-year-olds to officiate youth sports. Ellis drafted the proposal after being approached by Butler County Soccer officials.

If the bill becomes law, it would ease the referee shortage and give younger children “a great opportunity to get work experience,†he said.

Supporters of the bill say 12- and 13-year-olds would be paired with more seasoned referees and would officiate only children younger than themselves.

Read more: http://triblive.com/neighborhoods/alleghenyneighborhoods/alleghenyneighborhoodsmore/7719104-74/referees-officials-sports#ixzz3TcUcIGWj
Follow us: @triblive on Twitter | triblive on Facebook

http://triblive.com/neighborhoods/alleghenyneighborhoods/alleghenyneighborhoodsmore/7719104-74/referees-officials-sports#axzz3TbfqilkP

The biggest problem young kids have when umpiring are the adults who can be very intimidating to a 12 year old. I had a neighbor boy who tried umpiring, but he quickly gave it up due to coaches and parents. He looked like he was in tears after coming home from his games. Nothing I could say would change his mind.

• Like 3

The biggest problem young kids have when umpiring are the adults who can be very intimidating to a 12 year old. I had a neighbor boy who tried umpiring, but he quickly gave it up due to coaches and parents. He looked like he was in tears after coming home from his games. Nothing I could say would change his mind.

Pops, you nailed it.

• Like 1

Maybe there's a shortage of officials in PA because of this:

http://www.pasportsofficials.org/

Interesting. Although a PIAA official, I've never heard of this group. But it explains why PIAA recently sent out a letter outlining the purposes of chapter meetings and that solicitation of membership in other organizations is not among those purposes.

Sorry for the hijack. Now back to your regular programing. 

Umpired 11 games as a 7th grader back in the 70's.  Besides the idiot parents, the league paid the whopping total of $2.00 per game. Who in their right mind wants to put up with the abuse for that?  Especially young kids?  We have a severe shortage of umpires in our association this year, 25 down from around 35-40.  This is due to it not being fun on the field and the BS within the association itself.  The fun has been sucked out of umpiring.

Umpired 11 games as a 7th grader back in the 70's. Besides the idiot parents, the league paid the whopping total of $2.00 per game. Who in their right mind wants to put up with the abuse for that? Especially young kids? We have a severe shortage of umpires in our association this year, 25 down from around 35-40. This is due to it not being fun on the field and the BS within the association itself. The fun has been sucked out of umpiring.

25!? We have like 250+ and are still short.

With kids umpiring, it depends on the baseball association they are working for. I work one association that wouldn't give a kid umpire crap, but they are heavy handed on the kids, parents, and coaches about respecting the umpires. If I see games on the schedule there, I snap them up. The field director nips any and all issues quickly and takes real good care of the umpires. My worst game, however, was a particular association that is known for being out of control and they need experienced hardened umpires even for their 8u. Those coaches and parents are well known for being tossed and stands cleared. I avoid them at all costs and let the hit squad take those games.