Unequal vs West Vest Gold

Mr Ump
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3247 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I have worn a West Vest Gold for 12 years. The Gold has provided me great protection from D1 games on down so I decided to reward her with an upgrade. I just sent the WVG to Team Wendy and was informed it will be back March 24.

At a clinic last week with MLB Ump Jim Evans I popped for the UE Shins. Loved them so much that after mailing the WVG off I made a decision to grab the CP too and yesterday day it arrived. First thing I noticed was how thin the box was. I want to look as if I have no equipment on. Low profile is the goal.

I only unboxed the UE but did not try the vest on. I decided to just snap some pics and wait until the WVG comes back to do an actual comparison on first time wearing. Plus just might have some games to wear both these beauties into battle. The UE CP & Shins U boxing pics are attached post-1873-0-10966400-1425468269_thumb.jp

post-1873-0-91718000-1425468315_thumb.jp

post-1873-0-43228400-1425469023_thumb.jp

post-1873-0-94401700-1425469099_thumb.jp

I liked the mask but will wait on the black frame that comes out this summer late. I currently use the Wilson Dyna Lite withTeam Wendy pads. I have three new (2014) setups in black and pro grey(frames) so no rush on mask just yet. I am happy with them but the Force mask will be my next equipment upgrade.

It is so hard to imagine my WVG as a backup but if it comes to pass I will report it back here.

• Like 1

I had a WV Gold I was happy with. I bought the Unequal shins and added in the CP because of the deal thinking I would sell the CP. When it arrived I was amazed at its low profile and comfort level and how comfortable and protective it appeared to be. Tried it in a game or two and that was it for me. WV Gold got sold.

Love the Shins and the CP.

Mask is my next purchase from Force3.

• Like 1

I have all three and like them very much. The mask is a little thicker. So it takes alittle getting used to. It is also quite a bit heavier than other mask.

When you get used to it, you will like it. The view is comparable to my Honig's Mask and my Wilson. For the most part I really feel protected.

I have not taken a shot (as of yet). So I can not comment. But the F3 is my go to mask now!

If you are an ABUA member they have a combo deal on their site!

My softball and little kids games rig is a TW'd WVG and Bauer shins. My baseball rig is a UE CP and UE shins.

I couldn't be happier with the UE CP and shins, I've had the CP for coming up on 2 years in July and the shins for almost a year. I actually just sold another umpire into purchasing these shins.

My softball and little kids games rig is a TW'd WVG and Bauer shins. My baseball rig is a UE CP and UE shins.

I couldn't be happier with the UE CP and shins, I've had the CP for coming up on 2 years in July and the shins for almost a year. I actually just sold another umpire into purchase these shins.

there's something about this statement ............. :fuel:  :wave:

I picked up the Unequal CP and shins in Tuscon at Jim Evans Clinic. They are very comfortable. The low profile is a plus. However, something else to consider is that you can customize how much protection you want on the CP. There are Kevlar attachments that come with the CP that allow you to adjust how much throat protection you want. You can also adjust protection on the sides (just under the armpits), and even on your abdomen. You can also adjust protection on the shoulder area as well. And you can wash these pieces too!

There are removable shin pieces that you can wash as well. 

This is going to be a big seller as word gets out.

• Like 1

So it seems like most of the people are looking for low profile versus protection... doesnt make sense to me....my og west vest with hard plastic will not come out ever.

I have to agree, my Douglas and Champion are low profile enough for me, I'll give up having a low profile chest protector for the piece of mind I get from having hard plastic plates over my heart.
  • Like 2

The shin guards look kind of cool. I might have to give them a try at some point. The mask is just silly looking and I still don't trust the chest protector. My Douglas is low profile enough and is pretty light with plastic plates. I haven't worn the Unequal CP but I have picked it up. Seems heavy. 

The shin guards look kind of cool. I might have to give them a try at some point. The mask is just silly looking and I still don't trust the chest protector. My Douglas is low profile enough and is pretty light with plastic plates. I haven't worn the Unequal CP but I have picked it up. Seems heavy.
It weighs close to the same as a WV Gold that has been TW retrofitted. As far as safety goes, I have been hit numerous times(took a foul tonight off a pitcher touching 90) you feel it in the chest. But it goes away instantly. But when I get hit in the shoulder, I don't feel a thing. Same with collarbone area. Games worked 18

The shin guards are great, i bought them from a guy on here.. they are light and move around well.

So it seems like most of the people are looking for low profile versus protection... doesnt make sense to me....my og west vest with hard plastic will not come out ever.

I was very skeptical. Two plate jobs in the UE CP sold me Mike. Don't knock it til you try it.

It weighs close to the same as a WV Gold that has been TW retrofitted.

As far as safety goes, I have been hit numerous times(took a foul tonight off a pitcher touching 90) you feel it in the chest. But it goes away instantly. But when I get hit in the shoulder, I don't feel a thing. Same with collarbone area.

Games worked 18

Yea...that's the rub. I don't *want* to feel it in the chest. In fact, short of the nutty buddy area, that's pretty much the last place I want to feel it. When I had my Gold, I had hits that I only heard, not felt. If it was 1 or 2 inches longer I'd still have it, but the All-Star System 7 that replaced it is pretty darn close to that as well.

I'm sure it's a fine CP...but not for me, not yet.

• Like 1

Having worn the WVG, System 7 and Force 3 I really have to dispute the statements that you don't feel the impact while wearing a WVG.  You most certainly feel it.  And if you get hit in the heart how would the chest protector stop your heart from going off line?