Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3305 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Same here in east Texas...have lost 8-10 games to rain and snow and it isn't going to stop raining until Friday.  Might be down $700 to $1000 once I finally get to call a game!

I'll start adding up my cancellations starting March 13th. Still a good foot- foot and a half of snow and ice on the ground and another 3-5 inches today. I'll be lucky to get a few HS scrimmages in this month before the season starts April 1st. Long range forecast says 50's and sun starting next weekend...Can't remember the last time temps were over 40 here. 

Here in the Great Lakes region, we're still under snow, and all the coordinators are trying to bolster our hopes by reminding us (fairly regularly) that Opening Day is April 1st. We just look out the window and wonder how that is possible.

What's now concerning me isn't the snow and cold still being here, but, while looking at it, calculating where it's going to go. All that meltwater has to go someplace, and I have this suspicion its all going to end up on our field complexes (which, in this area, are usually in low-lying tracts of land). Besides that, with the winter being so cold, the Lakes' water temperature stays colder longer into spring and summer, affecting the weather conditions as far inland as 40-50 miles. It's going to wreak havoc on the first month of games.

The two biggest enemies of baseball... Spring Rainstorms and Fall Football.

• Like 1

It's supposed to hit 40 degrees here in upstate NY tomorrow.  That will be the first time since.... early December, I think.  It's only been above freezing once this year.  I don't think we'll get any scrimmages in before the season starts in April.

Fantasy baseball, anyone?

Those of you pining for baseball should participate (coach, official, scorekeeper, etc.) in another sport.  It keeps you fresher for baseball and gives you something to do in the offseason.

Once you know one sport, you're ahead of the game for a second sport.

Those of you pining for baseball should participate (coach, official, scorekeeper, etc.) in another sport.  It keeps you fresher for baseball and gives you something to do in the offseason.

Many of us do. Doesn't mean we can't be wanting baseball season to get under way.

How about a course marshal and snowboard instructor at the local snowpark? I'm right at home on a snowboard, and even I'm sick of this snow. Additionally, I aspired to undertake training to be a hockey referee, but I didn't get the ice time I wanted this winter because of this crazy thing called a start-up career. Well, maybe next year.

Bring on baseball already!

Yep, 3 basketball games on Friday then 8 hard/soft ball games over the following week. So ready to get my "favorite" season started. Of course I'll have volleyball officiating to fit in somewhere...

I work the table and do PA for HS basketball games. It doesn't even come close to assuaging the anguish of a long winter without baseball. Its something, I guess.