Slackers

maven
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3298 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

To all you people in states where it won't be going down to –11°F tonight (that's temp, not wind chill, and it's 35° colder than today's low in Juneau, AK), and who are already working HS baseball:

Where are your interesting plays? Where are your rules questions, your situations, your mechanics issues, your goofy partner anecdotes?

Inquiring minds want to know.

I was scheduled to work the opening games of Benedictine College's (NAIA-Heart of America Conference, Atchison, KS) brand new stadium tomorrow with a great partner but alas, temps in the teens and 6 inches of snow forecast so they already canceled it.

Aaaaarrrrgggggghhhhh!

Best wishes to all of you working this weekend.

Don't suck!

Florida has been kicked off the HS and college since the beginning of February. My season's have been off to a great start and I even had to break out the rite temp pads for games this week as the temps have been in the low 80's.

I've worked 19 games so far this year.  Nothing all that weird to post and my goofiest partners have been when I am working 1 man games.   :wacko:

2 "HS equivalent" games Sunday (weather permitting), and my official HS season kicks off Wednesday.  Two big schools (one of the schools have 2 guys that pitch 92-94) and my partner is a Big West umpire that still works HS games.  I've got the dish.   :HD:

• Like 1

It's been in the mid-30s here and lightly raining.  Tournaments are in full swing, but games are getting canceled and rescheduled all the time.  I got one of my three in today before they called them for the rest of the day.  Rain was freezing on the umpire and catcher masks.  Yesterday I got both of mine in.  My partners have been a mixed bag.  Today I had the absolute pleasure of working with a new kid from my rookie class and the game could not have gone smoother.  He was at the plate and did a bang-up job.  Our communications were timely and clear, his calls were spot-on and everything was like poetry.  Our field mechanics worked perfectly.  Too bad the game was so lop-sided.  One team couldn't pitch, throw or catch anything.  It was like watching the Bad New Bears.

Yesterday, one of my games was similar (only with a partner who was the polar opposite of the one today).  In the middle of the third, the team who was soundly beating the other was coming to bat.  I was PL.  The coach of the winning team comes up to me and says, "If you would expand your strike zone, the other coach and I would appreciate it.  I'll tell my players."  It was 36 degrees, rather windy and cloudy.  The score by that point was 19-0.  Both coaches had had enough.  What few parents were in the stands all but left or were sitting in the cars to keep warm.  I obliged, but it didn't make a difference.  Even with the new zone, the one team was still hitting like there was no tomorrow.  They finally called it when the score hit 26-0.  

I've worked 19 games so far this year.  Nothing all that weird to post and my goofiest partners have been when I am working 1 man games.   :wacko:

2 "HS equivalent" games Sunday (weather permitting), and my official HS season kicks off Wednesday.  Two big schools (one of the schools have 2 guys that pitch 92-94) and my partner is a Big West umpire that still works HS games.  I've got the dish.   :HD:

Who is your Big West partner?  Just last name. And what high school?

I've worked 19 games so far this year. Nothing all that weird to post and my goofiest partners have been when I am working 1 man games. :wacko:

2 "HS equivalent" games Sunday (weather permitting), and my official HS season kicks off Wednesday. Two big schools (one of the schools have 2 guys that pitch 92-94) and my partner is a Big West umpire that still works HS games. I've got the dish. :HD:

Who is your Big West partner? Just last name. And what high school?

Umpstu you should know we don't drop names like that. Send him a PM.

Games worked 10

I've worked 19 games so far this year. Nothing all that weird to post and my goofiest partners have been when I am working 1 man games. :wacko:

2 "HS equivalent" games Sunday (weather permitting), and my official HS season kicks off Wednesday. Two big schools (one of the schools have 2 guys that pitch 92-94) and my partner is a Big West umpire that still works HS games. I've got the dish. :HD:

Who is your Big West partner? Just last name. And what high school?
Umpstu you should know we don't drop names like that. Send him a PM.

Games worked 10

Great minds... I already sent him a PM. :)

My first HS game this year I sent a kid back to get a new helmet when he came to the plate with a mirror like helmet. Next game a kid had tape on a cracked helmet. I figured we better shut them down early in the year.

My first HS game this year I sent a kid back to get a new helmet when he came to the plate with a mirror like helmet. Next game a kid had tape on a cracked helmet. I figured we better shut them down early in the year.

An issue I have is when they tape the ear hole to hold the foam in place.  Glue the foam in place and I won't have to say anything.

• 3 weeks later...

16 games in with 6 rainouts to include 2 varsity games rained out.  Done a mix of middle school and Junior varisty high school.  I love those umpire coaches that can call balls and strikes from dugout, 1st base and 3rd base coaches box and even with eyes closed.  I also like the ones that call interference, infield fly and whatever else they can think of.  Glad to be working the games though.  Just had a game each day so far this week, but most likely a rainout for a DH supposed to call today.  Oh well.