Baseball Rules Interpretations - 2015

noumpere
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3326 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

A loose pad is "damage"?

I guess I don't get it.

I would equate it to a seat belt that is broken. A person can still wear the seat belt but the functionality due to the loose pad isn't as intended.

If I notice it in a FED game, we should disallow the helmet until the padding is put back in its place.

Isn't loose any more. It's glued back into place.

A loose pad is "damage"?

I guess I don't get it.

I would equate it to a seat belt that is broken. A person can still wear the seat belt but the functionality due to the loose pad isn't as intended.

If I notice it in a FED game, we should disallow the helmet until the padding is put back in its place.

Way to un-break it!  

SITUATION 3: An open media area was designated and properly lined before the game. The home coach has placed a video recording camera on a tripod in the media area. The opposing coach objects to the camera’s placement, stating that the camera must be in the dugout. RULING: This is legal. Video monitoring or replay equipment must be placed in the dugout or another dead-ball area. (3-3-1, 1-2-8)

We had an umpires meeting over the weekend where that covered these situations.  A question was posed with regards to Situation 3.  Lets say the home coach has a video camera set up and is obviously (i.e. pointed at the 3rd base coaches box) using it to steal signs.  The visiting coach comes out to complain about the camera setup.  Can we as umpires do anything to prohibit the home coach from doing this?  Our rules interpreter did not believe we could do anything since the rules allow for the recording devices and do not specifically limit how the devices can be used.  A bunch of the umpires left that meeting convinced a beanball war will break out this season over this situation at some point.    

A loose pad is "damage"?

I guess I don't get it.

I'm not sure I understand your point Rich.  If a loose pad was glued back into place, how would I, the umpire, have any idea that it was once loose but then glued?  Even with this new emphasis on tape, umpires still don't inspect equipment, so the only way I am going to know if there's a problem with a helmet is if I notice something like an obvious crack or tape when the batter comes to the plate.  Otherwise, I have better things to do than be the helmet police.

We had an umpires meeting over the weekend where that covered these situations.  A question was posed with regards to Situation 3.  Lets say the home coach has a video camera set up and is obviously (i.e. pointed at the 3rd base coaches box) using it to steal signs.  The visiting coach comes out to complain about the camera setup.  Can we as umpires do anything to prohibit the home coach from doing this?  Our rules interpreter did not believe we could do anything since the rules allow for the recording devices and do not specifically limit how the devices can be used.  A bunch of the umpires left that meeting convinced a beanball war will break out this season over this situation at some point.    

Your interpreter is correct. Frankly, it's a little silly to think that the camera confers any advantage here, since that coach's signs are visible to anyone in the park.

Now, the catcher's signs are not visible to everyone....

They would need a camera that would cost their annual budget...all in the name of cheating.

I can think of two schools that I work that have that type of budget.

I was thinking of schools around here that could afford a big lens. But it's surprising what even $1K will buy these days....

A loose pad is "damage"?

I guess I don't get it.

I'm not sure I understand your point Rich.  If a loose pad was glued back into place, how would I, the umpire, have any idea that it was once loose but then glued?  Even with this new emphasis on tape, umpires still don't inspect equipment, so the only way I am going to know if there's a problem with a helmet is if I notice something like an obvious crack or tape when the batter comes to the plate.  Otherwise, I have better things to do than be the helmet police.

Well - I said I glued it into place then you said "If I notice it . . "

Didn't make sense since, as you point out now, you couldn't notice it.