Glossy helmets

sdix00
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3361 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Just need to hear what you think.   Per the clarification on 1-5-1, "Glossy" helmets (black below) would still be considered legal and only "Chrome" helmets (Chrome below) would be illegal?

This is my understanding as I read the newly-worded rule -"not mirror-like" 

NFHS 1-5-1 . . . It is mandatory for on-deck batters, batters, runners, retired runners, players/ students in the coaches boxes as well as non-adult bat/ ball shaggers to wear a batting helmet that has a non-glare (not mirror-like) surface and meets the NOCSAE standard at the time of manufacture. The batting helmet shall have extended ear flaps that cover both ears and temples and also display the NOCSAE stamp and the exterior warning statement. The warning statement may be affixed to the helmet in sticker form, or it may be embossed at the time of manufacture.

rawlings-coolflo-youth-batting-helmet.jp

pDSP1-16237604dt.jpg

2 things ........

1) WE HAVE AN SDIX SIGHTING!!! :wave:

2) I agree, however, ...how isn't the gloss black helmet "non-glare"? Just sayin...

You can't do your lipstick in the black ones finish, (You'll just have to trust me on that one.) but you can on the second.

2 things ........

2) I agree, however, ...how isn't the gloss black helmet "non-glare"? Just sayin...

You can't do your lipstick in the black ones finish, (You'll just have to trust me on that one.) but you can on the second.

Which mask are you wearing that you can touch up your lip gloss in the batter's helmet's finish??!

2 things ........

Which mask are you wearing that you can touch up your lip gloss in the batter's helmet's finish??!

I'm just THAT talented. It's an art really. B)

SITUATION 22: R1 leads off the inning wearing a highly polished reflective batting helmet. The opposing coach inquires as to the legality of R1 wearing such a helmet as it would be distracting to his pitcher and the infielders. R1 and his coach explain that, a) the helmet meets the current NOCSAE performance standard for batting helmets; b) there is no rule prohibiting such product for use; and c) the player has a right to own and use the helmet when there is no rule preventing such use. RULING: The umpire explains that the use of such helmet presents a risk minimization issue for the team playing defense. The bright reflection of the sun off the helmet poses a dangerous situation for the defense. In a) and b), the fact that the helmet meets the NOCSAE performance standard for batting helmets is admirable and is compliant to NOCSAE standards; unfortunately, it is judged by the umpire to be unreasonably dangerous and is illegal for use. There are several rules references prohibiting the use of such equipment. (1-5-9,10) Regarding c), the player does have the right to own and use the helmet, just not for high school baseball competition. COMMENT: If the offensive team would like to use the batting helmet, it could make it less reflective by adding dull/matte black tape over the helmet in order to meet the intent of the rule.

(For whatever reason, I am unable to reply with quotes so please bear with me.) 

In noumpere's post #10, above, the Comment prescribes a remedy that is at odds with "no tape allowed" on or inside batting helmets per Referee/NFHS PP slides and our state's (Ohio) on-line meeting/test.

I'm still breathing heavy from shoveling, so If I'm missing something, please enlighten me.   

You're not missing anything, and I noted the "tape" discrepancy at the time.  Someone (no, I don't remember who) indicated that there was some type of tape that would be allowed in this situation -- the adhesive doesn't weaken the plastic, it's not used to "hold together" a broken part, etc.