NCAA Test #4

noumpere
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3360 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

What is the rule citation for getting two outs here?

8-5k  AR 2

That says the runner is on the base. The question never says R3 is on the base. 

It doesn't say he's off of it either.  On a pop up to the third baseman we have to have an infer that at the NCAA level, R3 is standing on the base.  Not saying I agree w/ how the question is written, but either way we have to make an inference.  

I just think if you're going to use that citation you posted, the question needs to be specific and say that R3 is standing on the base. Surprise surprise, another poorly-written NCAA test question. 

I get your point, but why, on a pop-up are we assuming that he's off of the base especially when there's a rule and AR specific to the question.  

Can't we also equally infer that he's probably on the base?  Heck being on the base in that situation makes a hell of a lot more sense than being off of the base. 

What is the rule citation for getting two outs here?

8-5k  AR 2

That says the runner is on the base. The question never says R3 is on the base. 

It doesn't say he's off of it either.  On a pop up to the third baseman we have to have an infer that at the NCAA level, R3 is standing on the base.  Not saying I agree w/ how the question is written, but either way we have to make an inference.  

I just think if you're going to use that citation you posted, the question needs to be specific and say that R3 is standing on the base. Surprise surprise, another poorly-written NCAA test question. 

I get your point, but why, on a pop-up are we assuming that he's off of the base especially when there's a rule and AR specific to the question.  

Can't we also equally infer that he's probably on the base?  Heck being on the base in that situation makes a hell of a lot more sense than being off of the base. 

If they really wanted us to get two outs, they should have specified that he is standing on the base so we could find the appropriate rule citation to justify getting two outs. 

As it stands, it's contradictory and confusing. 

b. The ball is dead immediately, and R3 is declared out for interference. R1 advances to second, and the BR advances to first.

5-3 Penalty & 8-5

Apparently there are 2 questions very similar. I have my Q's in a word document and I just searched the first few words to find the question. My post above was for a different question.

The correct answer to the question in the OP is to get 2 outs.

Sorry for any confusion.