Charcoal pants

conbo61
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3397 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

At some point, we need to agree............

blws-2014-umpires.jpg

WHY DOES THE HPU NOT HAVE A LOGO ON HIS HAT GOOD LORD

My guess is that this is some sort of tournament game where the caps were given to the umpires prior to the game, and the PU can't wear an 8 stitch under his mask.

At some point, we need to agree............

blws-2014-umpires.jpg

WHY DOES THE HPU NOT HAVE A LOGO ON HIS HAT GOOD LORD My guess is that this is some sort of tournament game where the caps were given to the umpires prior to the game, and the PU can't wear an 8 stitch under his mask. But the hats don't even match shades. There's so many things wrong with that picture. My skin is crawling looking at it.

Here's the bottom line on pants color: 99% of baseball folks don't care. Hell, most don't notice if your shirts don't match. Mix GD, heather and charcoal out there, and very few notice, much less care. Ask any fan or coach. They couldn't care less if the base guy is wearing a plaid shirt.

But, the ones that do notice are the ones who decide what games you might be doing down the road, thus, the trouble.

As a LL UIC, I didn't care what you wore, and long is it looked sharp. Ironed, tucked in, and black socks were my concern. But I did council the guys who wanted a shot at Division or Region on how to dress for the next level. With so many vying for so few spots, the tipping point may come down to the shade of pants you're wearing. Yeah, it's that silly.

Upper level stuff, you've better be wearing polywools, here in SoCal. It's just a sign of commitment to your craft. The GD's are the standard in some areas, and the charcoal Smitty pants can fool most of the Honig's crowd. Just know what's expected of you wherever you work.

Oh, and don't trust the word of just one guy, as he might be the last "heather, with Western pockets" guy left in his association.

• Like 1

@kylejt

Are you talking about @cuban with those western pockets, flat front and very light heather color? I've worked with him when he's worn them. Something different I'll tell ya!

Yes Frank, I'm telling on you. In his defense it was 2009 when I last worked with him so......... Is he or isn't he still pulling those out for lower level games?

But the hats don't even match shades. There's so many things wrong with that picture. My skin is crawling looking at it.

The three with the logo seem to match.

And, the navy shirts we used to wear frequently didn't match.  The black shirts don't always match.  The cream and polo blue certainly don't match.

In an ideal world, should they?  Yes -- but until all get them from one mfg, they won't -- and then we'd be complaining even more about the price.

• Like 1

At some point, we need to agree............blws-2014-umpires.jpg

WHY DOES THE HPU NOT HAVE A LOGO ON HIS HAT GOOD LORDMy guess is that this is some sort of tournament game where the caps were given to the umpires prior to the game, and the PU can't wear an 8 stitch under his mask.But the hats don't even match shades. There's so many things wrong with that picture. My skin is crawling looking at it. Yeah, I'd get onto these guys. Obviously, they're working as 4-man crew in a fairly high level game. Yeah, I'd get on them!

LOVE the Smitty Charcoal Grey.  Bought a pair of plate pants and a pair of base pants and they looked pretty much brand new after the season  Now I only worked about 75 games last year, so if you're working 125+ games or a lot of 10+ game weekends, you'd absolutely need more than that.

Washed the plate pants after every second plate job and the base pants after every three or four games.  Took them out of the washer and hung them up to air dry overnight.  

If I were doing college games, I would buy poly-wools.  Some Varsity games I'm just happy as hell when I get a partner who isn't wearing heather grey and during summer ball, even on the best fields, it can get pretty dry around here, so there would be a constant need for dry cleaning.