Umpire with dystonia.

Rulekeep
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3427 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

There's a kid in my biology class who wants to start umpiring but they have cervical dystonia (for those who don't know, an involuntary head jerk caused by nerve damage.) What would guys say about working with them/letting they umpire? It's only a problem during colder weather and rain, apparently. Which I'm sure you all know, we are no short supply of up here. They know the rules and positioning theory well but are afraid the dystonia will affect their calls.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Other than what you described, I don't know anything about this condition, or how often it presents itself, but I see no reason for it to keep him from at least giving it a try. 

Other than what you described, I don't know anything about this condition, or how often it presents itself, but I see no reason for it to keep him from at least giving it a try.

Their specific condition is one that snaps the head the right multiple times without pattern. They say it only presents itself during extremely stressful situations and cold weather. FYI.

All you people assuming it's a he. :shakehead: I'll tell them to go to the association meetings anyways.

Sorry, I misread your syntactical errors as a proper singular pronoun.It is. The person in question is bigender and uses the pronouns they/them/their's.

However that is completely off topic.