Expository Speech on umpires

Rulekeep
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3391 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

"Hey, so-and-so, what should I make my informative speech on?"

"How about umpiring?"

(repeat 12443897 times)

Check it out. 

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1S1PxbFI-4jfRR-8ZA25s_atz1mGX5o04pMR2Y_xlRS4/edit?usp=sharing

It isn't finished yet, not even close, but I wanted your guys' input on it. I'm running out of fuel surprisingly fast and this speech has to be at least eight minutes long, or with my speech rate, about three pages. And I have to have it memorized by 12/14

Besides, I thought you guys all mostly liked my writing...?

Some people only want to talk only about one thing that interests them. Other people call those people boring. Trying to inform the masses about how hard umpires work to get to where they are might be a big yawn to anyone but a baseball fan.

I know that survival safety is a subject that Alaskan school kids are taught much more that kids in the lower 48/49, but if one has extensive knowledge of outdoor Alaska survival skills, maybe that subject would be of more interest to your audience.

:lol: Well, I was trying to come up with other topics but the things is-I do know rather a lot about umpires. The point of the expository speech is to inform your audiences about a topic they likely know very little about. I figure not many people know anything about umpires.

I like it. For more substance I'd add more about things like Jim Joyce's kicked call that cost the perfect game. Don Denkinger's missed call that still has him bearing the ire of fans.

Also maybe some stuff about the other umpire school in FLA.

Maybe add some important quotes by umpires or about them by famous people.

The strike by umpires and the fill-ins and obvious drop in consistency and quality of calls could add some context as to how much the game needs the good ones and how good the MLB guys actually are.

My .02.....

I used to do speech/forensics in High School and now I'm an umpire.   This is right in my wheelhouse!

I'll take a look at this while avoiding family next week.   Too swamped today.

• Like 1

You seem to claim:

1. MLB umpires are ordinary guys.
  2. Their training is extensive.
  3. They're essential to the game, though fans generally have, if anything, mainly contempt for them.

Is any of these claims controversial enough to merit defending? The most informative part is the middle, where you mention how much training goes into a pro umpire and how little chance each trainee has to make it to the show.

I'd recommend picking a topic and sticking to it for something this short. One idea would be to tell the story of meeting an MLB crew, perhaps including your motivation for seeking them out. That's a good story, but you should develop it (rather than mention it as an aside).

Alternatively, you could offer an informative talk explaining the nature and extent of the training. Talk about hours in the cages with your gear outside your clothes learning to call balls and strikes, the challenges posed by mastering rules and interpretations, what life is like for pro umpires who are NOT in the show and make $2800/month plus per diem. How much do you have to love the game to endure that?

Put yourself and your love of umpiring out there a little more, instead of rehearsing some truisms that nobody doubts. Hope that helps!

You seem to claim:

1. MLB umpires are ordinary guys.
  2. Their training is extensive.
  3. They're essential to the game, though fans generally have, if anything, mainly contempt for them.

Is any of these claims controversial enough to merit defending? The most informative part is the middle, where you mention how much training goes into a pro umpire and how little chance each trainee has to make it to the show.

I'd recommend picking a topic and sticking to it for something this short. One idea would be to tell the story of meeting an MLB crew, perhaps including your motivation for seeking them out. That's a good story, but you should develop it (rather than mention it as an aside).

Alternatively, you could offer an informative talk explaining the nature and extent of the training. Talk about hours in the cages with your gear outside your clothes learning to call balls and strikes, the challenges posed by mastering rules and interpretations, what life is like for pro umpires who are NOT in the show and make $2800/month plus per diem. How much do you have to love the game to endure that?

Put yourself and your love of umpiring out there a little more, instead of rehearsing some truisms that nobody doubts. Hope that helps!

maven,

while your points are valid and they make perfect sense ..... I don't think she's that far from her instructions of which she explains in this post:

"The point of the expository speech is to inform your audiences about a topic they likely know very little about."

maven,

while your points are valid and they make perfect sense ..... I don't think she's that far from her instructions of which she explains in this post:

"The point of the expository speech is to inform your audiences about a topic they likely know very little about."

Jeff, she asked for input. I made a couple suggestions. Why are "defending" her, as if I were attacking her or her writing?

maven,

Jeff, she asked for input. I made a couple suggestions. Why are "defending" her, as if I were attacking her or her writing?Why shouldn't he be "defending" me?

(Not that I think you were attacking. Just curious.)

did you consider talking about something you really know about - being an amateur umpire - instead of what you've read (albeit a lot) about (that sounds harsh and i didnt mean it to be - truely just a question)? I'm not saying you're not way more qualified to discuss professional or MLB umpiring than the next guy ( :) ), but I think the "wow i thought i knew the game until the first time i tried to umpire", or the "its amazing how coaches and players have no idea about the rules" ..or the "heres what its like to actually eject someone from a game" might be an interesting approach...i did like the juxtaposition of "most hated and ignored" ...thats an interesting concept

maven,

Jeff, she asked for input. I made a couple suggestions. Why are "defending" her, as if I were attacking her or her writing?
Why shouldn't he be "defending" me?

Because defending you from suggestions for improving your talk makes no sense.

maven,

Jeff, she asked for input. I made a couple suggestions. Why are "defending" her, as if I were attacking her or her writing?Why shouldn't he be "defending" me?

(Not that I think you were attacking. Just curious.) Because defending you from suggestions for improving your talk makes no sense. He said "your points are valid and make sense" he wa simply pointing out that I am supposed to be informative.

• Like 1

RK: I can't access your speech but I feel obliged to offer some advice on how you might approach this assignment. I'm an accomplished Toastmaster and certfied judge, as well as a qualified judge for HS speech and debate. One thing I've heard at least two world champions of pubic speaking suggest is to give your speech and tape it, then write it out. Good luck, I think you are being very creative by crowd sourcing your effort.

I don't know of you are going to touch on umpire safety. https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CCEQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.vucommodores.com%2Fsports%2Fm-basebl%2Frecaps%2F022814aaa.html&ei=d_ZwVMe_IPfdsAS79oK4DA&usg=AFQjCNFS9aT5FVg0_Lp28QpyNO7L88A8aA&sig2=xrxOJJZ2YHeEil5GK2KD0Q&bvm=bv.80185997,d.cGU  

This link goes to the Vanderbilt vs Stanford game her in Nashville Feb 2014, VU catcher gets his signals messed up and the pitcher throws a 96 mph fastball instead of a curve and catches SEC plate umpire Scott Erby in the face and knocks him out. Scary video.

maven,

Why shouldn't he be "defending" me?

Because defending you from suggestions for improving your talk makes no sense.

maven, good lord ..........

"defending her as if I were attacking her or her writing?  Really?!  Where did my comment come across like that?  Maybe I should go back and read what I wrote to see if I typed something in capital letters, or did something else that made you feel this way, ...let me go re-read it.  

Nope, .... I didn't.

If you noticed (obviously you didn't), I praised your post, did I not?

My only purpose was to say that if the goal of her speech was to inform people of something they know little about, she's on the right track.  Nothing more, nothing less.

maven,

Jeff, she asked for input. I made a couple suggestions. Why are "defending" her, as if I were attacking her or her writing? Why shouldn't he be "defending" me?

(Not that I think you were attacking. Just curious.) Because defending you from suggestions for improving your talk makes no sense. He said "your points are valid and make sense" he was simply pointing out that I am supposed to be informative.

the 14 year old understood it ................