Sun/shadow in A

Kevin_K
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3472 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I am BU in A.

Batter hit a pop up that was a mile high on 1B line. The sun was low behind the third base dugout and the entire infield was in shadow, while the outfield was bathed in bright sun. I was standing in sunlight and it was extraordinarily difficult to pick up the ball off the bat or to have any accuracy with depth perception as the sun was shining directly in my face. I  lowered the bill of my cap and had my glare reducing sunglasses on, trying to get a better look at the pitches as they came off the bat.

I read the ball to be somewhere near 1B in fair territory, but I was not sure of how deep it was because of the shadow/sun lines on and above the field.. F3 took a few steps in toward HP as F1 and F4 converged on 1B.

I read the players and took a few steps toward 2B, while remaining out of the way of the converging players, on the outfield side of  1B. At the last second, F3charged toward HP and lunged for the ball. It deflected off his glove about halfway between 1B and HP and rolled foul.

BR reached 1B and then broke for 2B when F3 missed the popup.

I was stuck behind the BR as he reached 2B, and my partner had moved up 3B line when he saw that I was stuck behind the play.

Any suggestions on a better mechanic to read a ball off the bat when looking directly into the sun and dealing with sun/shadows? 

Carl Childress espoused at least once that a new two-man mechanic to do away with A and only work the bases in B or C a few years back. It has merit especially in situations like this one. I usually just pull my hat down, wear sunglasses and sometimes use my hand to block the sun. So far, so good.

Popup means pivot!

I don't think this play is that simple. You have F1 charging to 1st, F4 cutting across to 1st, F3 moving into the same area you would usually be moving to to pivot. Add the sun factor that seems to imply nobody was 100% sure where the ball was, I think Kevin did the right thing staying out. Similar to when we need to go foul for a call at 1st in a pressure situation. Very nice that he had a partner aware enough to pick up on the fact that he was on the outside and started towards 3rd being he was behind the play at 2nd.