Suiting up for SCIENCE.

Rulekeep
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3487 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Want a chance to help a ninth grader win a science fair for the first time in seventeen years AND help settle the debate once and for all over what chest protector offers the best protection? Great news, I need you as a human test subject!

As of now, my plan is this:

Find a mentor (this is required.)

Contact equipment supply companies and offer free advertising as well as the possibility of being deemed the best mainstream UNMODIFIED chest protector.

Get human test subject paperwork for all the daredevils who want to get smacked for science.

Get sensory equipment that can fit inside a chest protector and that will measure impact force.

Bribe the pitching star with food probably.

Throw a bunch of baseballs at umpires.

Measure the force of the baseball when the umpire considers himself in game-delaying pain.

Harvest the results.

ENDORSE GEAR!

Any thoughts would be appreciated and I do need volunteers. At least 20.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Measure the force of the baseball when the umpire considers himself in game-delaying pain.

I'm pretty sure that's illegal in at least 49 states. Great news, there's fifty states.

But in all serious, that's why I need people to fill out paperwork. I'm responsible for any major injuries that result.

You know, I worked at REI (www.rei.com) for 4 years, and of the (then) 70+ stores we had nationwide, there were 2 we were strictly forbidden from viewing or inquiring about their inventories. One was Redmond, WA, because it was the experimental / test inventory store (unique colorways that weren't offered to most consumers, for example)... the other? Anchorage, AK. Why? Because it's _way the funk_ away from the lower 48 states and moving stuff to and from there is _expensive_.

Your location is a major challenge to this endeavor.

Please allow me to suggest a modification to your test procedure.

What you're looking for is something similar to this: http://www.tekscan.com/industrial/hispeed-system.html

Your first test is to get a side of beef, side of pork, side of moose, side of caribou... a cube of ballistics gel... a mannequin torso... something that resembles flesh. You put a sensor on it. Hurl a baseball at it (get a pitching machine if you must), somewhere in the 90+mph range. Get your control reading. This is the impact force of a baseball upon an unprotected umpire.

Next, you shield the "test target" with a CP. A sensor goes on the inside of the CP. Hit CP with baseball, and get your reading. This is the impact force upon the CP. Reposition sensor upon the mannequin torso with the CP shielding it. Hit the CP with baseball, and get that reading. That is the impact force upon a shielded umpire. Repeat with X number of models of CP. There's your data set.

Now, that's what _most_ CP makers (should) have done already. Those numbers _should_ be out there, somewhere, with the manufacturers. Perhaps NOCSAE has them (but they may only have helmets). If you have to make your science experiment _look_ engaging and interesting, after (rather) easily calling up or emailing NOCSAE or the manufacturers for that data, is just to video an _example_ or re-enactment of that test once. You can even inject a bit of humor, and have a friend interject (staged) moments of uncertainty - "I really don't think this is a good idea!" as you tactically edit the video so it _looks_ like he's the one getting blasted by a 90+ mph fastball.

Guys I'm using local umpires I wasn't looking for specifically a bunch of guys throughout the country. It was just a thing if any of you wanted to be involved...thanks for slapping the idea down.

@MadMax That's good ideas but it wrecks the purpose of the experiment.

???????????????

where did this happen?

Guys I'm using local umpires I wasn't looking for specifically a bunch of guys throughout the country. It was just a thing if any of you wanted to be involved...thanks for slapping the idea down.

???????????????

where did this happen?Reply two.

???????????????

where did this happen? Reply two.

So ... "uhmmmm"  slapped your idea down??

???????????????

where did this happen?Reply two.

So ... "uhmmmm" slapped your idea down?? No, "pretty sure this is illegal."

Also the ummmmm didn't really help.

I'm aware of the danger that comes with this project. It was just an idea.

???????????????

where did this happen? Reply two. So ... "uhmmmm" slapped your idea down?? No, "pretty sure this is illegal."

it's no more dangerous than doing a game!?

???????????????

where did this happen?Reply two.So ... "uhmmmm" slapped your idea down??No, "pretty sure this is illegal."

it's no more dangerous than doing a game!? Exactly, so I don't get why people are so twitchy about it.

???????????????

where did this happen? Reply two. So ... "uhmmmm" slapped your idea down?? No, "pretty sure this is illegal."

I'm aware of the danger that comes with this project. It was just an idea. it's no more dangerous than doing a game!? Exactly, so I don't get why people are so twitchy about it.

Matt does not = "people" .....that's just one opinion

???????????????

I'm aware of the danger that comes with this project. It was just an idea. it's no more dangerous than doing a game!? Exactly, so I don't get why people are so twitchy about it.

Opinions are like a***s, everybody have one. :wave:

@gnhbua93, what if you have many opinions? ;)

@Rulekeep, I'm not trying to shoot holes in your _idea_, rather I'm trying to expose the existing holes. The single largest hole in the process isn't finding willing umpire participants to take a pitch to the CP. Heck, one of our tournament directors here in this region must find any ol' stooge to stand back there sometimes.* The greatest roadblock is going to be convincing the CP manufacturers to acknowledge your request, let alone ship a CP model _to Alaska_, on their dime, for an unsanctioned, independent, low-exposure test.

Even when I worked at REI, the stories I'd be privy to regarding vendors supplying product for our tests (or, more appropriately, not supplying it when asked) were depressing. I appreciate your zeal and bravado, but I don't want to see you get bummed and discouraged when Wilson, All-Star, and Diamond blow you off, and you can't even get a reply from Champro or another of the smaller companies.

* - And no, that does not include me. It's when I look at the adjacent diamond at a complex and see Bozo the Clown and his Magical Mayhem Mob.

???????????????

And Matt is known to the poster in question..."ummm" doesn't mean "that's a bad idea," it means "I'm not sure what you're saying here."

I believe Steve over at MIDWEST Ump has done some of these type of reviews. Although he is no longer "active" he may be able to provide some insight including the difficulty or lack of in obtaining the equipment.

I also think that if your going for scientific results, then Mad Max's alternative methods seem to fit the bill.

You may also want to contact Jaime at M5 Industries (Myth Busters). They have decades of experience in what your trying to accomplish. Here is his email jamie@m5industries.com.

Good Luck!!

This escalated from "science project" to "CALL EVERYBODY IN, DO THIS, THIS, AND THIS, GO."

Such mixed feelings and ideas from everybody.

Here's where I am now: my mentor got a a slab of ballistics gel and we're going to try and use that. I'm responsible for finding some way to get chest protectors and turf time to test them. We're using a pitching machine for accuracy and our control is an unprotected hit.

I've tested lots of chest protectors.

First, find a golf club shaft, that the head's busted off of (or, go down to the local Goodwill, buy a cheap club, and saw off the head)

Drill an appropriate sized hole in a baseball, preferably a dead ball.

Gorilla Glue them together.

Voila! your new c/p tester.

Then, find volunteers to help with both jobs. It's best if they switch out. Start out easy, the progress the bashing. Look for weak spots, and what protector does the best job on each part of the rig.

In my experience, the Platinum won every time. The superior collar bone protection, as it has one continuous piece of plastic running from the chest over the top, with no break, was the decider. Most others, save the All Star, are hinged.

p.s. the Davishield didn't last two "thumps" before I threw it on the floor.

I've tested lots of chest protectors.

First, find a golf club shaft, that the head's busted off of (or, go down to the local Goodwill, buy a cheap club, and saw off the head)

Drill an appropriate sized hole in a baseball, preferably a dead ball.

Gorilla Glue them together.

Voila! your new c/p tester.

Then, find volunteers to help with both jobs. It's best if they switch out. Start out easy, the progress the bashing. Look for weak spots, and what protector does the best job on each part of the rig.

In my experience, the Platinum won every time. The superior collar bone protection, as it has one continuous piece of plastic running from the chest over the top, with no break, was the decider. Most others, save the All Star, are hinged.

p.s. the Davishield didn't last two "thumps" before I threw it on the floor.

There is not a control variable and it's very hard to get accurate and consistent results with that.