Interference or train wreck

NovaScotiaBlue
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3496 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question

Baseball in Canada uses a modified OBR rule set.
Ball hit to shortstop who throws to 1st. Throw off line slightly bringing the 1st baseman toward baseline.
BR and ball arrive at the same time. BR has one foot fair and one foot foul. BR collides with 1st baseman attempting to catch the throw and ball is dropped. I called, interference on the play. Did I kick this

15 answers to this question

damn!

I thought the runners position (Not entirely in the running lane) when the collision occurred had some bearing

Rule 6.05(k) Comment: The lines marking the three-foot lane are a part of that lane and a

batter-runner is required to have both feet within the three-foot lane or on the lines marking the lane.

The batter-runner is permitted to exit the three-foot lane by means of a step, stride, reach or slide in the

immediate vicinity of first base for the sole purpose of touching first base.

Running lane is irrelevant on a throw from the shortstop.

BRD has a ruling from PBUC that says the throw can come from anywhere. Item 280 Official Interp 204-280 page 180 in the 2009 edition.

I think PBUC will revisit that the first time a runner is called for RLI because of veering into fair territory to avoid F3 stretching into the lane.

BRD has a ruling from PBUC that says the throw can come from anywhere. Item 280 Official Interp 204-280 page 180 in the 2009 edition.
The next time you see RLI called on a throw from F6 in an MLB game will be the first time.
  • Like 1

In theory, yes -- as a practical matter, not so much.

I think I recall that the original rule was to prevent BR from "crashing" into F3.  So If BR leaves the lane just to crash F3 on a throw from F6, then we might have something.  That doesn't really happen, though,

The next time you see RLI called on a throw from F6 in an MLB game will be the first time.

See noumpere's post

I think PBUC will revisit that the first time a runner is called for RLI because of veering into fair territory to avoid F3 stretching into the lane.

The runner won't veer that way on pro ball so it won't have to be called. But if he did . .

Keep it in mind for amateur games.