My Gear

JaxRolo
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3521 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

In all seriousness, why do you guys need so much gear? I have one CP, one pair of shin guards, one mask, one pair of plate shoes, one pair of base shoes, etc. 

I do have two pair of plate and base pants in case of rips/stains, and multiple shirts for the bases or plate, but I just don't get it. I know it's like a hobby for some of you guys, but why waste money on stuff you can only use 1/4 of the time?

I just can't fathom ever needing more than one pair of plate shoes at a time.

how many fishing rods you got?

In all seriousness, why do you guys need so much gear? I have one CP, one pair of shin guards, one mask, one pair of plate shoes, one pair of base shoes, etc. 

I do have two pair of plate and base pants in case of rips/stains, and multiple shirts for the bases or plate, but I just don't get it. I know it's like a hobby for some of you guys, but why waste money on stuff you can only use 1/4 of the time?

Two masks (one rigged for Black-trim, one rigged for Navy-trim), one CP, one pair of shins, one pair of plate shoes, two pairs of base shoes (one really good, one for crap conditions games). I would really choke if someone here said they have multiple "personal protectors".

I never waste money. If I don't use it as often as before, I sell it to a colleague or on eBay. This will probably happen to my Schutt AiR Flex, eventually, when I get a Force3 Unequal CP. Until then, I can only see _possibly_ getting a less-complex CP for doing softball games... if I ever do softball again... which I don't want to... unless lavishly requested or paid to... and that Schutt is complete overkill for it.

I also work as a professional snowboard instructor and tech. Do you wanna know how many complete snowboard rigs (board+bindings+boots) I have? Four. This would probably be more applicable to your "1/4 of the time" sentence.

Although, I live in Wisconsin, where we have two seasons... Winter, and Not.

Two masks (one rigged for Black-trim, one rigged for Navy-trim), one CP, one pair of shins, one pair of plate shoes, two pairs of base shoes (one really good, one for crap conditions games). I would really choke if someone here said they have multiple "personal protectors".

I never waste money. If I don't use it as often as before, I sell it to a colleague or on eBay. This will probably happen to my Schutt AiR Flex, eventually, when I get a Force3 Unequal CP. Until then, I can only see _possibly_ getting a less-complex CP for doing softball games... if I ever do softball again... which I don't want to... unless lavishly requested or paid to... and that Schutt is complete overkill for it.

I also work as a professional snowboard instructor and tech. Do you wanna know how many complete snowboard rigs (board+bindings+boots) I have? Four. This would probably be more applicable to your "1/4 of the time" sentence.

Although, I live in Wisconsin, where we have two seasons... Winter, and Not. If personal protector means cup then yup I have more than one, nutty buddy and shock doctor, and the extra gets carried like all backup gear to each game. You need backups of everything, what if your cup snaps in half on a foulball? You mask dents? Your shoe rips? Your chest protector's strap breaks? What will you do then?

how many fishing rods you got?Two masks (one rigged for Black-trim, one rigged for Navy-trim), one CP, one pair of shins, one pair of plate shoes, two pairs of base shoes (one really good, one for crap conditions games). I would really choke if someone here said they have multiple "personal protectors".

Although, I live in Wisconsin, where we have two seasons... Winter, and Not. If personal protector means cup then yup I have more than one, nutty buddy and shock doctor, and the extra gets carried like all backup gear to each game. You need backups of everything, what if your cup snaps in half on a foulball? You mask dents? Your shoe rips? Your chest protector's strap breaks? What will you do then? If my cup snaps in half on a foul ball, odds are I will not be finishing the game, nor will I be having kids!

Although, I live in Wisconsin, where we have two seasons... Winter, and Not.

Get the Unequal CP. You will love it.

I've worked a few games with newbies (of which I am also) that show up for a 4 slot who say they can't do the plate because they have no gear yet. Well, I have two full sets so I don't get stuck doing dish in 90+ for four games. Learned that trick quickly. I've also learned that I want different equipment for temp, level of play, or a combo of.

You go to strap on your leg guards or CP and something snaps/breaks?  What are you going to do? Replace the strap, or throw your back-up on?  Just one quick example.

Get the Gorilla tape out of my bag and make it work for a game, then fix it permanently later. 

Zero.

how many fishing rods you got? Four. One for trout, one for halibut, two for salmon. Pink spinners for Pink Salmon, yellow for Coho Salmon, silver for Dolly Varden, pink pixies for the days when you're just looking to catch and release since Double Ugly Sculpin bite on them every time.

:wave:

It's pretty awesome. Could really enjoy visiting here every summer. Saw P-Town yesterday. That was different.

Also visited the beach and dunes then we had our own Lobstah and clam bake at our campsite with local linguica. I cooked it all in local Cape Cod beer. Also had an awesome Lobstah roll. Saw a kid in a Cape Cod League Chatham A's hat. Reminded me of the Freddie Prinze, Jr/Jessica Biel movie "Summer Catch". That's the only baseball so far on this trip.

Alright, alright, alright! Just gotta keep L- I - V - I - N, livin'!