Tag up question

Slim Jim
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3508 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question

Fed rules question. R1 and 0 outs. Batter hits a line drive to F5. F5 throws to F3 to get R1 before he gets back to tag. Ball is thrown out of play. The question is does R1 have to touch first base before he can go to third for the base awards? I am thinking yes and if he doesn't the defense could appeal for not retouching the base before going to awarded base.

7 answers to this question

Fed rules question. R1 and 0 outs. Batter hits a line drive to F5. F5 throws to F3 to get R1 before he gets back to tag. Ball is thrown out of play. The question is does R1 have to touch first base before he can go to third for the base awards? I am thinking yes and if he doesn't the defense could appeal for not retouching the base before going to awarded base.

I think you have the concept correct. He has to retouch first before touching second or else he is in jeopardy of being called out on appeal.

• Like 1

Thanks guys!!! I had a parent at a game ask me that questions. I answered them correctly but just wanted to reassure myself. I am a newer umpire so I second guess myself at times.

Keep reading and do as may games as you can. The doubts will go away.

Thanks guys!!! I had a parent at a game ask me that questions. I answered them correctly but just wanted to reassure myself. I am a newer umpire so I second guess myself at times.

keep your nose in the book, brother. When you think you've got it down...you don't. Read it some more.
  • Like 1

Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3508 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.