LLWS Umpires "Over calling".....

KLAH316
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3527 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Are the umpires in Williamsport told to over-emphasize every call whether or not it even needs a call??

HPU of TX/PA game just made an over the top "SAFE" call when there wasn't even a play at the plate..... The throw was 20 feet up the line.  

It's aggravating to watch!!

• Like 2

Are the umpires in Williamsport told to over-emphasize every call whether or not it even needs a call??

HPU of TX/PA game just made an over the top "SAFE" call when there wasn't even a play at the plate..... The throw was 20 feet up the line.  

It's aggravating to watch!!

At least on that play the throw was toward home. On the triple that tied the score in the bottom of the 6th, there was a play on the BR @3rd and PU was signaling safe as R1 crossed the plate! 

I understand they're nervous, they're volunteers, etc. I can just shake my head and continue watching at most of it. What really drives me though is how many of these guys are calling pitches literally before F2 catches it. 

• Like 3

I wasn't put off by the umps in the Tx game tonight. There was a real whacker at 1B and U1 nailed it. His timing was good. His positining was good. His mechanic was crisp with the right amount of emphasis for the closeness of the play. And it was upheld upon review. All in all, the 5 minutes of the game I watched weren't painful. For once.

First batter of Mexico/Australia game.  Batter nubs one that's a few feet up the 1B line.  U1 takes this play in foul territory, one step off the line?  Seriously, WTF is that?  Of course, since he was woefully out of position, he hoses the call which has to be overturned on replay.

I keep wondering why so many people that can't stand watching LL games watch the games.  :)

I like watching the kids play, I don't necessarily like watching the umpires on the field - like I do at most every other level. 

Agree. Most levels have Umpires that need more training.

It is just that Little League is on the spotlight every year at this time. So it is what it is!

All it takes is to get better.

And like someone else said. LL is a multi million dollar business. TRAIN THE UMPIRES!!! FREE!!!!! or PAY THEM!! or BOTH!!!

I keep wondering why so many people that can't stand watching LL games watch the games.  :)

It's baseball (in some diluted form)... on TV... in HD... for "free". 

Of course we're going to watch it!

I'd rather watch a Chicago Cubs vs. San Diego Padres game in SD on WGN (the flagship broadcast station for the Cubs) than watch ESPN coverage of Poker! Hell, I'll watch women's college softball before I watch Poker!

CDP, Cal Ripken Experience, etc. could (should) take a lesson from what LL has done with this.

I watched that RBI baseball Senior League thing, and it was ok. Notice that the plate guy was wearing creme and the base guys were in black?  Now that's some funny stuff. 

• Like 1