Cast fiasco

Moe
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3501 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

So, today I did a U16 house league game as the base umpire. My umpire-in-chief was the plate umpire. When we walked on the field, we saw a player with a cast on. My partner immediately told the Manager that the player couldn't play. The manager said that there was no rule covering casts directly or indirectly MLB or OBA. After 15 frikkin minutes, we were going back and forth from Manager to Manager trying to figure it out. My partner said that he could re-injure it, whilst the opposing team said that it was dangerous because he could clip someone and cause serious damage. 

We texted the president and he said that the player couldn't play, the Manager wouldn't take that as an explanation because he said that the president can't change rules without approval of the board. I took my partner aside (even though he is my umpire-in-chief, I have more experience than him, I also care a lot more then he does and I study the game, evident with my account on this very site. :D He also does more lower level games than I do, I usually do U18 and 18+ house league and regional ball, so I let him take the lead one, because he IS my boss, and two, because he knows the managers. )  and told him that we could invoke rule 9.01©. He said that he will allow the kid to play with the cast. I was very unsure about this judgement. It turns out, after we sent an email to the vice president of Ontario Baseball Association (OBA), he said that he needs a doctors note. If he has that, he is allowed to play. 

To me, this is a huge safety issue. I told my partner that we should think of it as a Fiberglass batting glove  :a500posts:

Thoughts?

When in doubt err on the side of safety.

BUT is a cast any more dangerous to others that metal spikes or hard shell batting helmet?

Nope- NOT playing after that many Nopes from others.

The lawyers are circling the park in their BMWs as we speak.

The manager in your situation was right--there is no provision for casts and splints in the OBR (pro rules). But casts and splints are allowed in both Fed and NCAA. Here's the NCAA interpretation:

Any hard cast must be padded and covered.

Federation rules also require casts and braces to be padded--"all hard and unyielding items must be padded with a closed-cell, slow-recovery foam padding no less than one-half inch thick." Also, take note that there are restrictions on pitchers in high school. He can only wear a padded cast on his non-pitching arm. And just like the restrictions on gloves, no white or gray casts are allowed on a pitcher. Fed rules also state that the umpire shall rule on the legality of casts or splints. Each official must decide for himself if the cast is "unreasonably" dangerous, hence illegal.

For Little League, Mr. SJA is correct. Rule 1.11k prohibits casts:

Casts may not be worn during the game by players and umpires.

• Like 1

When in doubt err on the side of safety.

BUT is a cast any more dangerous to others that metal spikes or hard shell batting helmet?

Nope- NOT playing after that many Nopes from others.

The lawyers are circling the park in their BMWs as we speak.

We DO have rules about metal cleats. Not allowed until the U18 and 18+.

We don't play under LL rules, nor FED. We play under OBA rules because we are in Ontario, Canada. There is NO provision for a cast in those rules of OBR as far as I know. That's why I was willing to invoke 9.01© because to me, it's not safe. 

Just to make it better, he was using a first baseman glove in the outfield  :smachhead:

• Like 1

Legal in Fed if it's wrapped in 1/2 inch closed cell, slow recovery foam.

Yes, I wrote that from memory. :)

And he brings a tape measure to every game on the off chance he needs to measure the thickness of the foam.

• Like 2

Not a tape measure, @Magic ... a set of calipers. Like they use to measure the diameter of pipes and stuff. ;)

As said before, there is nothing in OBR regarding casts, and Fed allows for a wrap.

If a 16-year old kid has a broken finger or a broken forearm, and wants to continue playing, I'm not going to stop him. In today's Bubble-Wrap-Our-Kids culture, it's encouraging. I saw one of _the_ most advanced, complex casts I've ever seen at CDP this year... the thing looked like an archer's forearm guard or brace, married to a $200 snowboard boot. It had a Boa tightening system (Spectra-lace) on it, and after asking the ballplayer and his dad about it (more intrigue than concern), I was terrifically impressed by the state of modern medical technology.

The only time I've prevented a player from playing with a cast / wrap was (potentially) pitching. The kid had a (what was more than likely) broken ring finger on his pitching hand, heavily wrapped and taped.

• Like 1

:wacko:who in their right mind would try to pitch with a cast on their pitching hand?

Me. Although I'm often accused of not being in my right mind, and I'd be stopped well before the umpire had to step in.

My mother had me tested... just not for "crazy".

:wacko:who in their right mind would try to pitch with a cast on their pitching hand?

Me. Although I'm often accused of not being in my right mind, and I'd be stopped well before the umpire had to step in.

Thant's the problem, the manager was the kids dad. I was appalled. I can't fix stupid with the rulebook, but jeez, who would let their kids play with a cast. I had an avulsion fracture in my ankle when I was 16, and after about a month, I could walk on it. First off, I didn't think I could do anything, but if I DID want to, my parents would have brought me to get my brain function tested.

Is that like bubble wrap?

I think it's more like memory foam, but I'm no foam expert.

What if the memory foam gets Alzheimer's? And is an alvusion a bone??

What if the memory foam gets Alzheimer's? And is an alvusion a bone?? Stahp. STAHP.

Alvulsion fracture is a piece of bone chipping off where the ligament attaches to the bone. When the ligaments pull off, the bone comes with it. You can see both in the xray and MRI.

Dropped on your head as a baby? ha

• Like 1

Dropped on your head as a baby? ha

Not that I... What's the word for when you don't forget something? Anyway, mum says my head was born with the lumps. Extra special padding for my extra special brain. :)

I'm often accused of not being in my right mind.

We know this already! :wave:

Jax,

May I simply point out that if you are right-handed you are never in your right mind. :rock

If he is left-handed he does have a problem. :stir

• Like 1

Jax,

May I simply point out that if you are right-handed you are never in your right mind. :rock

Don't think there's an issue there: if I have any I don't have more than one mind, so if I'm not in my right mind I don't have any other minds to occupy. At least not of my own. I suppose I could occupy someone else's mind, but that'd be pretty annoying for all concerned.

• Like 1

Jax,

Don't think there's an issue there: if I have any I don't have more than one mind, so if I'm not in my right mind I don't have any other minds to occupy. At least not of my own. I suppose I could occupy someone else's mind, but that'd be pretty annoying for all concerned.

My good man, as your season gets ready to begin in your corner of the world please let us know if you lost you mind or if it just wondering. Your mates on this web site will look real hard to find it and give it back to you. :wave:

BTW, is it time for the Grand Final yet? Is Carleton playing decently at all these days in the AFL?

I'd have to look up about the AFL. Of the four major football codes played in Australia, it's probably the one I understand the least. I'm pretty sure their grand final is about the first weekend of October, the same weekend as the NRL - the football code I follow the most.

The adult rec league I umpire/play in during the winter was due to finish this weekend, but with rain around last weekend, most grades' qualifying finals got postponed to this weekend, and of the two championship games still scheduled for this weekend, one got played (with a few delays I'm guessing) and the other got about 20 minutes in before the rain got too heavy and eventually called off. Means my umpiring season gets extended, to run right into the summer season that starts the following weekend.

If you needed a reason to live in Australia, we have baseball all year round. Might not be the best standard or played on the best diamonds, but it's there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk