Check swing - no appeal

Thunderheads
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3558 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Obviously he didn't feel that he needed help! 

Thanks Captain Obvious! :)

Colonel Obvious please......

I have the plate tonight so I'm going to inform my partners that I'm not going to rule on a single check swing -- one less thing I have to worry about -- I like this new mechanic :notworthy:

• Like 1

I have the plate tonight so I'm going to inform my partners that I'm not going to rule on a single check swing -- one less thing I have to worry about -- I like this new mechanic :notworthy:

While your post is funny, and I enjoyed it, I must add .....

If you're rocking a 4 man system, there's no reason NOT to ask if there's any question, right?  What does it hurt?  I'm probably going to get gruff from this, but I don't really care .... it's an opinion, etc, etc........

• Like 1

While your post is funny, and I enjoyed it, I must add .....

If you're rocking a 4 man system, there's no reason NOT to ask if there's any question, right?  What does it hurt?  I'm probably going to get gruff from this, but I don't really care .... it's an opinion, etc, etc........

2-man, 3-man, 4-man, or 6-man -- The main reason not to go for help on all check swings is that it's the plate umpire's responsibility to call balls & strikes.  But IF you're not sure then you should ask for help.

• Like 1

To get back on topic here... No offense to Rackley... I'm gonna say it...

:ranton:  Horrible call. Why do these home plate umpires not appeal to first on those close check swing plays?  :rantoff:

Now I'm gonna say it --  It must not have looked close to Rackley -- and his opinion (judgement) is all that matters in this situation.

:ranton:  Horrible call. Why do these home plate umpires not appeal to first on those close check swing plays?  :rantoff:

Sounds like "fan speak" to me!

Sounds like "fan speak" to me!

@UMP45 - Yes, I know. But it still doesn't make sense to me that they don't appeal sometimes.

Speaking from experience how many of us have had a check swing we called a swing and then thought oh S@#t that was close I should have gotten help.  This has happened to me before but I called offer/strike and ate it.

Been there...done that...got the EJ to prove it.

Speaking from experience how many of us have had a check swing we called a swing and then thought oh S@#t that was close I should have gotten help.  This has happened to me before but I called offer/strike and ate it.

I honestly can't remember ever giving a second thought to a pitch that I called a strike on an attempted check swing. I might have thought that I should have called one a strike that I didn't.  I disagree with any one that suggest that the PU should automatically go for help on every attempted check swing. You are paid to use your judgement to call balls/strikes -- don't be afraid that a coach or an announcer might get angry at you.

If a check swing is "close" then I say, "No he didn't go" and wait for F2 to ask me to check with my partner. BUT if I have called it a strike -- I never have regrets because in my judgement it was a strike! 

• Like 1

Speaking from experience how many of us have had a check swing we called a swing and then thought oh S@#t that was close I should have gotten help. This has happened to me before but I called offer/strike and ate it.

I honestly can't remember ever giving a second thought to a pitch that I called a strike on an attempted check swing. I might have thought that I should have called one a strike that I didn't. I disagree with any one that suggest that the PU should automatically go for help on every attempted check swing. You are paid to use your judgement to call balls/strikes -- don't be afraid that a coach or an announcer might get angry at you.

If a check swing is "close" then I say, "No he didn't go" and wait for F2 to ask me to check with my partner. BUT if I have called it a strike -- I never have regrets because in my judgement it was a strike!

If I ever hear a PU say "No, he didn't go," and then appeals to me as a BU ... then I didn't see the batter swing either.

As PU, just call the pitch if you are unsure of the check swing.

Speaking from experience how many of us have had a check swing we called a swing and then thought oh S@#t that was close I should have gotten help. This has happened to me before but I called offer/strike and ate it.

I honestly can't remember ever giving a second thought to a pitch that I called a strike on an attempted check swing. I might have thought that I should have called one a strike that I didn't. I disagree with any one that suggest that the PU should automatically go for help on every attempted check swing. You are paid to use your judgement to call balls/strikes -- don't be afraid that a coach or an announcer might get angry at you.

If I ever hear a PU say "No, he didn't go," and then appeals to me as a BU ... then I didn't see the batter swing either.

Maybe that's why my partners always agree with me......

• Like 1

Why?

Why?

My partner has already publicly judged that he did not go. He should not be coming to me if he has judged that anyway. If he calls the pitch a ball and says nothing else, then I (and everyone else) can safely assume the PU was blocked out or could not see the swing.

BU is there for help/extra info, not to blatantly undermine.