Hsm question

Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3562 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I have read that Allstar makes a nice hsm i know they and wilson are "the brands" for hsm's but is the diamond one that Ump Attire has any good? I like the look, ill post a link. https://www.ump-attire.com/Baseball-Umpire-Equipment/Gear-Footwear/Helmets/DCH-EDGE_Diamond-Hockey-Style-Umpire-Helmet

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just my opinion, but I would NEVER wear anything but an All-Star at any level above rec league 12U...and why even chance it there? Not a chance I'd pay $7.99 for that Diamond mask, much less $79.99. By their own admission, right in the ad, they say it's entry level. This is your brain - is it entry level worthy?

Pay the extra $30 or so for an All-Star MVP2500 (not avail at ump-attire but avail at plenty of other outlets, such as Baseball Rampage, etc). The difference btwn that and the near-double the cost MVP4000 isn't worth it for anyone not facing 85-90 mph pitching IMO, the vinyl nitrile headband doesn't do anything at lower speeds.

As for the Wilson? I'm not a fan but many think it's a decent helmet. I think it's a gimmick but ymmv.

Just my opinion, but I would NEVER wear anything but an All-Star at any level above rec league 12U...and why even chance it there? Not a chance I'd pay $7.99 for that Diamond mask, much less $79.99. By their own admission, right in the ad, they say it's entry level. This is your brain - is it entry level worthy?

Pay the extra $30 or so for an All-Star MVP2500 (not avail at ump-attire but avail at plenty of other outlets, such as Baseball Rampage, etc). The difference btwn that and the near-double the cost MVP4000 isn't worth it for anyone not facing 85-90 mph pitching IMO, the vinyl nitrile headband doesn't do anything at lower speeds.

As for the Wilson? I'm not a fan but many think it's a decent helmet. I think it's a gimmick but ymmv.

ok so what about the 2400 i found one at the same cost as the diamond

ok so what about the 2400 i found one at the same cost as the diamond

I'd still pay the relatively small premium for the 2500 but it's a lot closer. The 2500 was designed for umpires as well as catchers at higher levels. Small but important things like the bolts for the mask aren't up front but on the side, lessening possible transfer of force. The 2500 also is longer and better balanced, with better ventilation IMO.

ok so what about the 2400 i found one at the same cost as the diamond I'd still pay the relatively small premium for the 2500 but it's a lot closer. The 2500 was designed for umpires as well as catchers at higher levels. Small but important things like the bolts for the mask aren't up front but on the side, lessening possible transfer of force. The 2500 also is longer and better balanced, with better ventilation IMO.ok, thanks ill save up a bit more and get the 2500 maybe i can get some fall games to cover this

I like this helmet, looks similar but im sure its not, opinions? http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0062SB1YS/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1405726224&sr=8-1&pi=SY200_QL40

It looks like a great helmet! Which makes sense....since it's a rebranded All Star 2500 :)so can i trust it, is it "safe"

I like this helmet, looks similar but im sure its not, opinions? http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0062SB1YS/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1405726224&sr=8-1&pi=SY200_QL40

It looks like a great helmet! Which makes sense....since it's a rebranded All Star 2500 :)so can i trust it, is it "safe"

Oh yeah, it's a new All-Star 2500, just with the UA logo as part of a marketing agreement.

It looks like a great helmet! Which makes sense....since it's a rebranded All Star 2500 :)so can i trust it, is it "safe" Oh yeah, it's a new All-Star 2500, just with the UA logo as part of a marketing agreement.Wow, so its cheaper because of the logo, mind boggling

I got the All-Star 2500 about a month ago from Sports Depot, $110 shipped.  got it in like 2-3 days.  took a good shot off the mask last night.  didn't feel a thing.  the WHACK! was more surprising than anything.

I wear the Wilson titanium and I love it. I have been hit square 4 times. Once by a pitch in a very high level high school game. Pitch came in at about 92. Catcher was crossed up. Right after the sun went down. He never touched it. My partners thought I was done after the impact. Other than the stun from it hitting me, I was fine. Will never wear another hsm. But am thinking about getting a conventional for the summer. It sure is hot with the Wilson on.