LLWS

millerforrest
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3564 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Some people think that the umpires who work the LLWS and are donating their time in doing so by not getting paid are doing a disservice to the rest of us. Their reasoning is that the LLWS makes a lot of money with their tv contract, they can easily afford to pay umpires.

Comments?

If they're willing to donate their time, by all means go for it, but LL needs to be setting a better example than what will be on TV in August. From balloon chest protectors to $h!tty mechanics, it's a joke right now to those of us who umpire LL and do a good job of it. I have 14 year old Junior umpires who are better right now than some umpires on TV... Some of those on TV are really really good! I remember one member here in particular who was OUTSTANDING.

But the bad annoyingly outnumbers the good, and if it takes $$$ to fix it, so be it.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

But the bad annoyingly outnumbers the good, and if it takes $$$ to fix it, so be it.

I don't think just $$$ is the answer, although maybe it's part of it.

While visiting my mom in CA over the 4th of July I had a chance to go watch some PONY district all stars games. Those umpires were certainly getting paid, and they certainly sucked.

Ah, memories.  It was 2 years ago I did a regional championship plate on ESPN43 or something like that (actually it was on ESPN2, I think).  I still have it on my DVR, although, like my wedding video, I can't see myself watching it again anytime soon.

I'm not sure things will ever change.  Umpires are seen as no more important than the person who sells the hot dog in the Little League world.  This season a friend of mine is working at Williamsport and they, for the first time, flew all 16 of the umpires into Williamsport earlier this summer for a weekend clinic and to explain some of the details of what they have to deal with (such as replay) in the series.  Maybe things are changing, albeit slowly.

I'll start applying for the series and it would be nice to get to do it before I get old and feeble (not too long to go), but I don't live for it like some others.

I know each region uses different criteria, but it's not about finding the best LL umpires.  It's about rewarding those who have put in many years of volunteer umpiring.  Sometimes, they find guys that have volunteered for a long time who also happen to be really good umpires (ala @RichMSN), but that appears to be the exception rather than the rule.

I'm not sure if it's the same in every state, but in So-Cal, the Regionals AND Sectionals are now volunteer and my assignor is really having to scramble to schedule the 3-man crews for a 4 team Jr's Sectional. I know only a few states have Sectionals after Districts, but I'm curious if smaller states have volunteer umpires all through the state tourneys now. LL is moving in the wrong direction with this -- you do get what you pay for.

I'm not sure if it's the same in every state, but in So-Cal, the Regionals AND Sectionals are now volunteer and my assignor is really having to scramble to schedule the 3-man crews for a 4 team Jr's Sectional. I know only a few states have Sectionals after Districts, but I'm curious if smaller states have volunteer umpires all through the state tourneys now. LL is moving in the wrong direction with this -- you do get what you pay for.

I'm pretty sure that here in WA the state tourneys are all volunteer.

Around here, the states and whatever is just below it are usually volunteer.  But you didn't have to be a volunteer all year round, just the playoffs.  One of these days I might say yes.