It's HS playoffs, and I'm U3

JHSump
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3591 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Last night, 3-man, HS district playoff game.  My partners and I are walking off the field at the end.  We are almost to the umpire's locker room beyond the left field bullpen, when a young woman runs up to me and says, "I don't understand one thing.  Why did the game end after 7 innings?"  As I turn my head I notice she is carrying a large video camera with the logo of a local TV station on the side.  Turns out she had never covered a HS game before, so didn't understand why the game ended before the 9th inning. (There is a minor league team in the same town --- stadium just up the road from this field.)  I guess she figured the only people she could ask about this, and get an official answer, was the umpires.

After I cleared up the 7-innings issue, I asked, "So, did you get some good video?"  She says, "Well, I got the comeback."

Anyway, this encounter alerted me to watch the news last night.  The video is at:

http://www.wdbj7.com/video/Floyd-County-takes-on-James-River/26220324

I am the devastatingly handsome U3 who indicates "fair" on some hit down the left field line, early on.  Comments on my resemblance to Leslie Nielsen welcome.  She did not capture my dancing, unfortunately.

Some of you, I know, will recognize Kiwanis Field, a former minor league stadium, which opened in 1932 according to Wikipedia.

• Like 2

Talking to the press...never a good thing unless specifically instructed to do so by your super.

so what? I mean really, who cares?  what are you going to do in that situation? pretend she doesn't exist? she asked a HARMLESS, simple question ........ that's BFD in my book

• Like 2

Talking to the press...never a good thing unless specifically instructed to do so by your super.

so what? I mean really, who cares?  what are you going to do in that situation? pretend she doesn't exist? she asked a HARMLESS, simple question ........ that's BFD in my book

I agree -- if she asked about a call in the game or something then I'd agree that "no comment" is probably appropriate.

• Like 4

District final with 21 total runs? Somebody ain't calling enough strikes!

:)

Your back looks a lot like Leslie Nielsen's.

Thanks!  I've been working on my "back look."  I'm glad to see all that work is paying off!

It was not a final, but I have one tomorrow (4-man --- I've been studying tonight, I am U3, i.e., near 2B at TOP).

Make sure they get your good side on film this time.

BOY the camera does add 30Lbs to you.

You MAY want to consider an agent if you get interviewed anymore.

Dont worry about studing your lines for tomorrows interview, just be your self.

Last night, 3-man, HS district playoff game. My partners and I are walking off the field at the end. We are almost to the umpire's locker room beyond the left field bullpen, when a young woman runs up to me and says, "I don't understand one thing. Why did the game end after 7 innings?" As I turn my head I notice she is carrying a large video camera with the logo of a local TV station on the side. Turns out she had never covered a HS game before, so didn't understand why the game ended before the 9th inning. (There is a minor league team in the same town --- stadium just up the road from this field.) I guess she figured the only people she could ask about this, and get an official answer, was the umpires.

After I cleared up the 7-innings issue, I asked, "So, did you get some good video?" She says, "Well, I got the comeback."

Anyway, this encounter alerted me to watch the news last night. The video is at:

http://www.wdbj7.com/video/Floyd-County-takes-on-James-River/26220324

I am the devastatingly handsome U3 who indicates "fair" on some hit down the left field line, early on. Comments on my resemblance to Leslie Nielsen welcome. She did not capture my dancing, unfortunately.

Some of you, I know, will recognize Kiwanis Field, a former minor league stadium, which opened in 1932 according to Wikipedia.

And the umpire room hasn't changed much from the 60s from the description in one of the autobiographies I have read written by pro umpires.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk