Best Line Coach Said to You As a Player

Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3320 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Today F1 gets pulled, coach says, "It's not your fault, Nick."  Reminded me of one of the best lines a coach used on me after pulling me:  "It's not your fault, Pepper.  It's my fault for having you in there."

My other favorite--in HS our 3B on a "routine" ball would pull it from his glove and look at it before he threw to 1st.  It finally happened--he looked at it, should have been an easy out, and the B/R beat the throw.  Our coach, "Dammit, Kester!  It says A1010!  A1010!  Wilson! You can read it as much as you want in the dugout, which is where you'll be if you ever do that again!"  The guy knew sh!t about baseball, but he knew the model number of the game ball. 

Any other good lines your coaches used on you in your playing days?

• Like 1

After giving up 5 hits and 3 walks to start a championship game, after an undefeated season, coach pulled me from the mound 8 batters in in a 0+ appearance. As coach arrives from the dugout, his first words are: "You're going pretty well, because normally you'd have hit someone by now."

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

We were doing a softball game the other night and my partner rang up the batter on a close pitch. As the 3B coach was walking by he said to my partner "have you got glaucoma?" . I said "as a matter of fact he does, but he just smoked a joint so he can see OK now" The coach almost had a stroke he laughed so hard. We've known these guys for years and they are pretty good sports.

Tony

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

As player I was catching and we were in a tournament final day our pitching is thin and coach is trying to stretch what he can.

I was catching and call the pitch, and the pitcher shakes me off.  We repeat this three more times.

From the Dugout Coach D yells at the pitcher " Dang it Arty, you've shaken him off four times you only have two pitches"

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Iam at bat bases are full, coach calls time and comes to tell me"You know the bases are loaded" gee coach I would have never known that if you did not tell me. Different game same  situation coach calls time and starts to walk down third base line this time I yell at him if you are coming here to tell me the bases are full again Iam going wrap this bat around your head, he turns around and walks back to the coaches box I maybe a slow learner but reall

After hanging a curve ball and giving up a home run that landed in a river behind left field (Frame Park in Waukesha for the Wisconsin people), my extremely serious and Bobby Knight like coach comes out to the mound, looks me in the eyes and says "Don't ever throw that pitch again", then turns and walks away.  My catcher about peed his pants from laughing.  

It helped that we were up about 6 or 7 runs and it was a solo shot, but it was still shocking that he came out like that. 

• Like 2

I was umpiring a game where the home team had lost their previous two games.  They give up 3 runs in the top of the first mostly on errors.  After the top half of the inning coach gets them in a huddle by the dugout where he goes absolutely nuts.  The best line of the tirade ends up being "I swear you guys get worse every day and today you're playing like its tomorrow."  The icing on the cake was him throwing his pitch counter into the woods during the "speech".  He sent 2 kids who were on the bench into the woods to look for it.  I don't think they found it, but it wasn't due to a lack of effort.  The home team ends up winning the game 7-6 on a walk off single in the bottom of the 9th.  

• Like 2

I set this one up.  I couldn't eject...sometimes you just have to realize that "you asked for it." 

Low-level Class A ball (in MiLB).  The ball boy sucks.  Out of frustration I yell over to the ball boy (who is sitting at the end of the dugout), "I need two balls!"

Without missing a beat the manager yells, "no SH*t!"

Let's just say that now I wait until I need three (or more) baseballs!

• Like 2

My son and I were working a game together a few years ago, travel ball - I was PU. The home coach knew us both very well.  The visiting coach wasn't sure if he should provide baseballs or not, and as soon as we introduced ourselves, the VC looked at me and said "Do you have balls?"  Before I could say anything, my son (who was 17) didn't miss a beat and said "YES, SHE DOES!"  I thought the HC coach was going to choke and die because he was laughing so hard. I looked at the VC and said "My son THINKS he's funny.  But yes, I have baseballs."  What a way to get a game started.

• Like 1