Wow! Player throws punch at umpire postgame

mjr_2013
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3642 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Umpire made a series of poor decisions, not that the kid had any business throwing haymakers (just as an aside, how do you miss from that distance? That kids a lover, not a fighter!)

How do you think THAT game report reads?

It looks like the umpire makes the poor decision to stop and talk with a guy in the green t-shirt (possibly a parent at the game?), the coach comes to separate them and as he is trying to get them space the kid comes in and throws a piss-poor punch. This is a great reminder to why we need to leave the premises and not stop and entertain questions of spectators in such a large group. Thanks for posting the video.

• Like 1

Game management doesn't end with the final out. Until I'm in my vehicle and leaving, I'm still "the umpire" in their eyes, and I conduct myself accordingly.

A few questions:

Did they go out the losing side?

Where was his partner?

WTF is TBI?

WGAS if you're TBI?

Why does the official look like the aggressor?

Why does a coach look like a rodeo clown?

WHERE WAS HIS PARTNER?

Assault on an official (not physical contact necessary) is a felony in Tn?

Why did he hang around?

And finally.....

WHERE THE FK WAS HIS PARTNER?????

• Like 2

I'd love for someone in Tennessee to find this guy's assoc and get his side of the story. But if a picture is worth 1000 words, video is an encyclopedia. I'd venture a guess this guy gets some sort of discipline from his assoc/state.

Im reminded of the words Yoda uses so often. The last words on umpire etiquette in OBR....

"Finally, be courteous, impartial, and firm, and so compel respect from all."

Epic fail

• Like 1

There is a longer video out there to show the whole thing breaking down.

1. Why is the plate umpire's hat backwards?

2. Why are they exiting through that gate? Was there no gate on the other side to lead them to their changing area?

3. I know the base umpire is hanging by the gate because his partner has been cornered by another coach but really? Go get him and get out of there.

4. How are those coaches holding you up as an umpire? If they won't let you leave, postgame eject them. ESPECIALLY if they are assistant coaches.

5. That momma is wrong, it is clear as day that the punch connected. It only grazed but it did connect with the antagonizing umpire.

Why the hell would he say that he would smack someones mother?  All kinds of messed up s#!t here.  So TBI means what?  He's a COP?  I think I understand the problem a little better now.

Got his job duties mixed up a little bit....Prolly went back to work and balked his boss.

• Like 1

It's easy to sit behind a computer and say you'd just walk away, hard to do in a situation where you're getting attacked verbally with people in your face.  Obviously can't see or hear everything that happened so I'll reserve judgement.  Definitely an unfortunate situation.  

• Like 1

It's easy to sit behind a computer and say you'd just walk away, hard to do in a situation where you're getting attacked verbally with people in your face.  Obviously can't see or hear everything that happened so I'll reserve judgement.  Definitely an unfortunate situation.  

Sorry zoops you MUST walk away UNLESS you feel you are about to get physically assualted.

Words from young players and spun up adults are just that-words.

Post game reports is where you document these verbal attackes.

Umpires should be the most professional people at an event and NOT engaging in trash talking.

• Like 1

@zoops - even easier to just keep walking. Just pick em up n set em down. ESPECIALLY if you're being verbally assaulted. I cannot reserve judgement in this case. It's OBVIOUS the umpire was in the wrong. Everyone of us has had training and instruction on every single aspect of our duties. From arriving at the ball park at prescribed times, to always park with your partner, to how to exit the field TOGETHER post-game. There is ZERO excuse for his unprofessional behavior. Doubly true if he really is a law enforcement officer. He's had even MORE training on handling people.

• Like 1

4 HUGE mistakes:

1.  Don't engage the coaches in post game discussions - PERIOD!

2.  Walk out the winning side, if at all possible. (Looks like they could have at this field)

3.  Walk out TOGETHER.  Why is BU out the gate when PU is still on the field?

4.  Don't wear navy blue!  Nuff said.

I won't even comment on PU's backwards cap.  Oops, I just did.

• Like 3

And the only comment that is missing is that I'm glad to see the umpire with the backwards hat following Prerequisite #1 for Good Umpiring:

1) Being in proper physical condition is an essential requirement for a baseball umpire.  The game requires the umpire to move quickly to obtain the proper position to render the best judgment on a play.  An umpire who is not in sufficient physical condition to work a game is a hindrance to his/her partner and possibly the successful completion of the game.  Today's athletes work hard to be prepared to participate at a high level and no less should be expected from the umpiring crew.

TBI?  I'd love to see him in a foot race with a criminal.  Who needs a gun?  He's one prime rib dinner away from cardiac arrest as it is.

The moron who posted it on fb was probably ripping on the umpires. Boy, did THAT blow up in their face. :shakehead:

I'd still like to know what happened to the crew.

4.  Don't wear navy blue!  Nuff said.

Not sure what you meant by this.  This is the official and only accepted color in Tennessee other than a black jacket.

Those mismatching jackets/hats and shirts/jackets are embarrassing. I don't know why TSSAA continues this policy (probably has something to do with an equipment supplier contract).

4. Don't wear navy blue! Nuff said.

Not sure what you meant by this. This is the official and only accepted color in Tennessee other than a black jacket.

It was sort of a joke. Many, me included, don't like the navy polos. Can't resist a chance to get a jab in about them occasionally.

Not sure what you meant by this. This is the official and only accepted color in Tennessee other than a black jacket.

It was sort of a joke. Many, me included, don't like the navy polos. Can't resist a chance to get a jab in about them occasionally.

Lots of states still require Navy for HS ball Steve .......unfortunately :no:

We/I try to stay ahead of the curve and wear a Majestic Cool Base in navy ....still navy , but still nicer to wear!

thats to bad!