Strangest play ever

Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3630 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Whatever the play was, I doubt it is the strangest EVER. I recall hearing about a triple play sometime in the 40s where not one defensive player touched the ball.

@jocko: Again there is some debate as to whether a triple play without the ball touching a fielder is an urban myth. While it might be technically possible, it certainly hasn’t happened and nor is it likely to.

The theory goes like this:

There are runners on first and second with no outs. The batter hits a fair ball that can be fielded by one of the infielders. He is out by the infield fly rule even if no one touches the ball. Then the crazy stuff really starts. The runner on first passes the runner on second, so the runner on first is out due to rule 7.08, which forbids a runner overtaking another runner on the base paths. Two outs. The runner at second is then struck by the batted ball as it lands (rule 7.08 again—look, it covers a whole host of base running situations). There we have it three outs and no fielder has touched the ball.

I was doing a HS softball game, runner on 3rd and batter has a 2-2 count.  The next pitch I called a ball.  The batter takes off for 1st base and the runner from 3rd comes sliding in as everyone watched the batter.

I look at the batter standing on 1st and say "batter, 3 balls, 2 strikes".  She get a really surprised look on her face and comes trotting back and picks up her bat.

The DC wants me to put the runner back on 3rd and I just look at him and say "PLAY BALL".

• Like 1