Suggestions for multiple games

hill2933
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3634 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I have triple headers the next two weekends. One is three freshman teams playing each other a couple times. The other is a F/JV/V triple. Our association doesn't normally do this so I am assuming we are just short people. Any tips on staying focused for what could be more than 8 hours of ball? I am trying to take off work the night before but may be working before and after both. Gonna be some long days.

Sooo no tall guys in your association? Sorry too much morphine this morning.

Leave your cell/smartphone in your car and don't look at it all day. Don't have any family members present to distract you

Lots of us here routinly do weekend tournaments and call 2-3 on Friday, 6-8 on Saturday and 4-6 on Sunday.

You need to get physically pepared as well. Carb loading, LOTS of water game day with power bars and ADVIL.

Regarding mental- look at this as FUN, think of it that way.

I do.

This is why most of us do this.

• Like 3

For tourney weekends, .... I can and will do 5 per day, but not usually (it can be done, but it's a haul) .... I prefer 4.

3 games in one weekend, ....then 3 more the next (even if in one day) should be a breeze.  No problem :)

Hydrate hydrate hydrate!!! (hydrate the night/day before also)  Eat SOMETHING between each game (banana, power bar) and you'll be fine!!

ON EDIT:

Also, do a search in "FREE FOR ALL" (I think) ...and search "marathon tournament" and I think I have a post in there when I did my first LONG DAYS tourney ...lots of good info there and other posts will come up too!

• Like 1

Make sure you drink water during the game too.  Loading up before is good, but it's wasted if you don't continue to drink during/between the games.

And you will need it.  I did 4 on Sunday, pre-hydrated, etc..  Drank 1-2 bottles of water a game and I didn't pee until about 9PM that night (3 hours after last game ended).  And it was only about 81 degrees here.  I lost 5 lbs of water weight.

• Like 1

I often drink a 5 Hour Energy between games 1&2. Don't do it very often but it seems to help. Also take Motrin or excedrin either after game 1 or 2. And eat something as well as drink water. Stretch between games and sit as much as you can between games. You'll make it.

Just like the others have said, carb up the night before, hydrate and take snacks. Peanut butter and jelly sandwiches are a great way to keep you going between games and bananas. I usually do 4 on saturday and 4 sunday when we have tournaments. Use each game to work on something, staying down on balls, proper positioning and angle, plate stance, you know the little things. By the time you know it......ITS BEER:30! :cheers:

• Like 1

I did 6 Saturday, 5 Sunday. It's brutal, but is what it is.

when the doldrums start to set in, that's when I remind myself to track the pitch all the way in. I concentrate on squaring my feet up. Often, I will use the time to analyze something in particular that I'm doing/not doing and try to make it better.

For instance, my balk call. Had F1 balk and pitch. Fed so it's dead. But I realized I stood up and walked out of my stance. No idea why. This put me in danger of being hit by a foul ball. Completely the wrong thing to do. It's little things like this that you may never notice until you stop and self-analyze. I discussed it with my mentor and will endeavour to stay locked in until it's time to move.

Work on the small stuff. Utilize your time and maximize each opportunity to improve.

• Like 3

when the doldrums start to set in, that's when I remind myself to track the pitch all the way in. I concentrate on squaring my feet up. Often, I will use the time to analyze something in particular that I'm doing/not doing and try to make it better.

For instance, my balk call. Had F1 balk and pitch. Fed so it's dead. But I realized I stood up and walked out of my stance. No idea why. This put me in danger of being hit by a foul ball. Completely the wrong thing to do. It's little things like this that you may never notice until you stop and self-analyze. I discussed it with my mentor and will endeavour to stay locked in until it's time to move.

Work on the small stuff. Utilize your time and maximize each opportunity to improve.

If I'm calling a balk as PU, I am calling it so the pitcher doesn't pitch and if he happens to deliver a pitch the batter definitely is not swinging. I'll get someone's attention.

I'm definitely not staying locked in while in my plate stance. Do they teach that when calling a balk?

If I'm calling a balk as PU, I am calling it so the pitcher doesn't pitch and if he happens to deliver a pitch the batter definitely is not swinging. I'll get someone's attention.

I'm definitely not staying locked in while in my plate stance. Do they teach that when calling a balk?in OBR the ball is still live.You may render yourself out of position for a fair/foul call if it's put into play. I'm VERY loud when I call it, but if F1 is already set to deliver, often times he wont stop. And it's a matter of personal safety. IF the pitch is delivered, and IF it's fouled off, you're better off remaining in the slot. In Fed there's nothing else to call anyway, and nowhere else you need to be. Better to stay there and stay safe.

Edited by Jocko
  • Like 1

I'll beat the dead horse  :Horse:  Hydrate...

But also, Pace yourself. I'm not saying don't hustle, but hustle appropriately. Don't exhaust yourself where you are spent for the 3rd game. 

And Most Importantly, Manage the games well. Be strict on time between innings, get the ball back in play ASAP, keep batters in the box, you know the drill. Shaving a minute here and a minute there adds up at the end of 3 games.

• Like 1