Obs

JaxRolo
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3658 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

12u tourney yesterday. Ground ball to F5.

Throw gets passed F3.

BR and F3 get tangled up as BR rounds first.

As was just going to let it go as nothing.

Defensive coach comes yelling out "obstruction, obstruction"

Me: you really want me to call obstruction??

Coach: yes I do

Me: "I have Obs runner to 2nd"

Coach: "what!!!!!!"

Me: "you wanted me to call obs"

• Like 5

12u tourney yesterday. Ground ball to F5.

Throw gets passed F3.

BR and F3 get tangled up as BR rounds first.

As was just going to let it go as nothing.

Defensive coach comes yelling out "obstruction, obstruction"

Me: you really want me to call obstruction??

Coach: yes I do

Me: "I have Obs runner to 2nd"

Coach: "what!!!!!!"

Me: "you wanted me to call obs"

you did'nt do that

• Like 2

If a coach wants to come out yelling and screaming not knowing what he is talking about. I will teach him the correct way.

In a 12u game when the coach doesn't know the rules and comes out of the dugout yelling...I think this was certainly appropriate.

• Like 1

so let me get this fictional story straight ..........

your  play happens, and as it happens you do nothing (per your OP ...you just 'consider it' ....going to let it go as nothing) [which means you never signaled anything] ....and THEN because the coach comes out and complains about "obstruction" .... you then make the call?

your  play happens, and as it happens you do nothing (per your OP ...you just 'consider it' ....going to let it go as nothing) [which means you never signaled anything] ....and THEN because the coach comes out and complains about "obstruction" .... you then make the call?

Yes, It all happened in a matter of seconds.

Do I need a notarized affidavit from my partner so you believe it?

Yes, It all happened in a matter of seconds.

Do I need a notarized affidavit from my partner so you believe it?

No, but you saw it .... and let it go without signaling that you have anything, and then you called OBS after the coach started yelling?  What did the other coach do?

YEs its not like there was really a pause in the action. Throw got away. they tangled up. Coach starts screaming OBS. I said you want OBS? Coach Yes. I have OBS put him on 2nd. Quick and easy.

Other coach: sat there quietly.

If a coach wants to come out yelling and screaming not knowing what he is talking about. I will teach him the correct way.

You say you will teach him the correct way, and then you went and taught him the incorrect way.

If a coach did something like that, we'd properly call him a rat.  We should be above it on the field (although it's nice to talk about stuff like that here), especially at the 12U level.

No. If a coach just wants to make a fool of himself at 12U screaming and yelling. He gets what he gets. It is actually the correct call. I was willing not to call it at the beginning. He forced my hand. He learned a new rule.

Not anything I would do at any higher level.

No. If a coach just wants to make a fool of himself at 12U screaming and yelling. He gets what he gets. It is actually the correct call. I was willing not to call it at the beginning. He forced my hand. He learned a new rule.

1) Deal with / address the screaming and yelling.  The penalty for that is NOT an awarded base.

2) If you were going to ignore it until he came out, then ignore it after he comes out.

3) You're correct that you wouldn't do this at a higher level because if you keep doing it you won't work at a higher level.

The coach was wrong.  You were wrong.  imo, of course.

• Like 1

1) Deal with / address the screaming and yelling.  The penalty for that is NOT an awarded base.

2) If you were going to ignore it until he came out, then ignore it after he comes out.

3) You're correct that you wouldn't do this at a higher level because if you keep doing it you won't work at a higher level.

The coach was wrong.  You were wrong.  imo, of course.

1) the penalty was the correct call to make for OBS.

2) Sometimes you have to teach a coach a lesson. I am sure most of us has made a call at some point to get back at a coach. Human nature.

3) I finally moved up to 12U this year. So not sure what works at higher levels.

• Like 2