Un-flipping believable!

Thunderheads
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3666 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I will read your post whaen I am done and respond accordingly....

jkumpire, on 04 Apr 2014 - 12:27 PM, said:snapback.png

3. You are commiting a logical fallacy here as well, if there is real equality, then let us compare the girl's SB and Girl's Bk teams, or even the SB team and the WR team, a sport open to both sexes. The SB team has a specialized field, expensive equipment, multiple coaches, etc, and rasing funds is hard. How about the WR team? Raising funds to have any kind of competive wrestling team is massively difficult, should the WR team go to the Feds and complain that because the SB program has this and that advantage over them the SB team should be forced to have the same level of support with the WR team?

Matt: The fallacy is yours, using a false premiss to create a false analogy. I think it's unintentional due to a misunderstanding of how Title IX compliance works. To alleviate that, I would suggest learning what "substantial compliance" means. In short, without knowing how the school was compliant initially, I cannot say if SB would ever be considered a tool to be in substantial compliance with WR. It most likely would not be, but it could under certain circumstances--which then would render the concept you raise moot, because it wouldn't be about facilities at that point.

I would submit that what we have here is not an issue of 'substantial complaince' but 'disperative impact'. The long and short of the matter is that the issue concerns a set of bleachers built years ago by volunteers who were/are part of a booster club for the baseball team. The complaint is that the bleachers by their existence are (in your words) denying opportuntiy to the SB team. The fact that the school administration decided to tear down the bleachers is pretty convinving evidence to me that 'substantial compliance' was not possible for the school system, so the bleachers came down.  

But my other point here is valid, in this whole discussion the issue is Baseball facility, vs. Softball facility unless there is knowledge you have that there is other systematic bias against the SB team that is actionable under Title IX. Why is this discussion limited to SB and BB?  Complaince has to be across the whole atheltic department is it not?  

jkumpire, on 04 Apr 2014 - 12:27 PM, said:snapback.png

4. Obviously the BB team has support, at least in the past, from a booster club, and much more than the SB team I guess. Why is that? Is it because the coaching staff works their tails off to do the work necessary to have an active booster club? Is it because the Baseball team has many more kids participating in it, where you have a Varsity Team, and JV team, maybe a Freshman or MS teams too? Has the BB team been a successful program in the past or now, meaning there is more interest by their success?

All conjecture without fact, and irrelevant...again, read on.

Yes it is conjecture, but again, the circumstances of the issue force us to look at other factors, like who was involved in the building of the stands. On to the next post.

Enough!!! This has gone on for long enough. Let's move on to the next topic please.

Somebody die and make you supermoderator? If you don't like the conversation, feel free to stay out of the thread. That comment has a whole lot more meaning with this crowd than you think, buddy.

What are you jabbering about? Where do you get off calling me "buddy?" Is that how they're teaching being respectful to your elders these days?

Not all elders deserve respect. People get my respect through their character and actions and not their age.  I don't respect Kim-Jong-Un and he's older than me but the way he treats his people and makes threats and doesn't follow through is everything but respectable.   I can't stand people who use their age or status to intimidate and bully others into obeying them like you are doing.   

I do not respect you and never will if this is the way you treat others.

Enough!!! This has gone on for long enough. Let's move on to the next topic please.

Somebody die and make you supermoderator? If you don't like the conversation, feel free to stay out of the thread.That comment has a whole lot more meaning with this crowd than you think, buddy.

What are you jabbering about? Where do you get off calling me "buddy?" Is that how they're teaching being respectful to your elders these days? I don't take instruction from those who won't let me stand up for myself. What am I jabbering about? Why, an elder I DID respect. Who happened to be a moderator. Who did happen to die. Where do you get off treating me like a lesser human because I'm younger?

• Like 1

In case you didn't know @SanDiegoSteve.  One of the greatest men I have ever known if not THE greatest, Michael S. Taylor gave me some advice and help on more things than umpiring over the few months I have had the absolute honor of talking with him. He helped me save the life of a friend on multiple occasions who was thinking of suicide.  

He gave me this advice.

"Never let anyone look down on you or anyone you care about no matter the reason whether it be age, ability, intelligence or anything else".  -Michael S. Taylor

I will stand up for anyone who is being bullied whether I see it on here, on the field,  classroom or while I walk down the street.   

• Like 3

I know better than either of you two who Michael Taylor is, but nobody named either of you two a moderator. Ruleskeep is being cheeky by calling me, a Vietnam-era veteran and veteran sports official, "buddy," in a disrespectful manner, like he has earned that right. I have known Michael Taylor on Internet forums for years and years now, and still have NO idea what that has to do with disrespecting me, a long-time, well-respected umpire of 25 years. I am saddened by Michael's passing, and also voted for him in the Umpire of the Month contest, but I wasn't referring to HIS death when I posted. I was referring to the fact that nobody named either of you a moderator suddenly, so he should not determine what can be said or when a thread should be closed. Every point I made was a valid one, and the majority of the people in the thread agree with my stance on the issue in question.

Ruleskeep is being cheeky by calling me, a Vietnam-era veteran and veteran sports official, "buddy," in a disrespectful manner, like he has earned that right...a long-time, well-respected umpire of 25 years...so he should not determine what can be said or when a thread should be closed. Every point I made was a valid one, and the majority of the people in the thread agree with my stance on the issue in question.

Yeah sure whatever. I'm not going to give you any respect just because you served in a war and have umpired for 25 years. Age and experience does not equal respect. Voicing my opinion about whether or not a thread should be locked is not "determining what should be said" okay? It's doing only just that. Me voicing my opinion.

And, uh...Oh yeah!

I'm not a he. :wave:

I know better than either of you two who Michael Taylor is, but nobody named either of you two a moderator. Ruleskeep is being cheeky by calling me, a Vietnam-era veteran and veteran sports official, "buddy," in a disrespectful manner, like he has earned that right. I have known Michael Taylor on Internet forums for years and years now, and still have NO idea what that has to do with disrespecting me, a long-time, well-respected umpire of 25 years. I am saddened by Michael's passing, and also voted for him in the Umpire of the Month contest, but I wasn't referring to HIS death when I posted. I was referring to the fact that nobody named either of you a moderator suddenly, so he should not determine what can be said or when a thread should be closed. Every point I made was a valid one, and the majority of the people in the thread agree with my stance on the issue in question.

So, who made you a moderator?

Also, playing your veteran status as some sort of "give me respect free" card: douche move. With the way you have talked to multiple people for many years, to include these two, you gave others the ability to determine whether you were worthy of respect or not.

• Like 3

Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3666 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.