You Make the Call

mjr_2013
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3662 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Do I have this right?

This looks like Little League where the fielder is only protected from OBS when he is in possession of the thrown ball--not when he's is in the act of fielding it. For that reason I have OBS.

Next question is Type A or Type B? The throw was an attempt to retire that runner but the ball had already gone past the fielder when the OBS occurred. Don't know if the BU was calling Type A or Type B. I'm leaning toward type A?

Type A would be an award of home. Type B would be an award determined by the umpire and, considering that the ball was thrown to the outfield, an award of home doesn't seem unreasonable.

I'm leaning towards this being Type B, but just barely.

The minimum award for a type a obstruction on this play would be 3B.

The runner had not yet reached 3B when he was obstructed.

Right. I should have known that. The award beyond 3B was a judgement call by the applicable umpire.

I'm leaning towards this being Type B, but just barely.

Yeah, that sounds reasonable.

• Like 1

Those kids must be 12 or so because that is def either a 50-70 field or the little league umpire shouldn't be inside the diamond haha. I do like the call of obstruction but from video I personally had to be calling it to get the feel if the game where he would be rewarded which base. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Those kids must be 12 or so because that is def either a 50-70 field or the little league umpire shouldn't be inside the diamond haha. I do like the call of interference but from video I personally had to be calling it to get the feel if the game where he would be rewarded which base.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think that interference was called here ;)

Sent using Tapatalk

:ranton:  There is just so much wrong with this 1:03 worth of excrement to narrow it down to just one thing.

First, OP should not have called it "Interference," since it would have been "Obstruction," if anything at all. Second, If I were to call OBS on this play (which I am not sure I would, since what was F5 supposed to do, vanish?), I would have only awarded 3rd base. There's no way the kid deserves home on the play, IMO.

Why does the PU have his hands behind his back? Is this a common plate mechanic of which I am unfamiliar? Is he in the Ice Capades? Is he under arrest? :Spit_20Laugh:

What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is a goin' on here? The BU is in, as someone pointed out, B+, a new position to my recollection. What's wrong with C? You mean he can't make it over towards B on a play at first base without having to cheat to that side of the field. And both of these guys look like they walk on every play. Since when is walking an approved mechanic?

And finally, just when I thought I had seen enough to make me :banghead:  then I see the runner being awarded home plate, and he veers off toward the dugout because he's a little putz, and the PU tells him to touch the plate!!! Why is the PU telling him to touch the plate??? :clap:  That's right, do a little coaching back there, since you obviously aren't much of an umpire. Don't give the defense an opportunity to appeal the missed base!! :rantoff:

Second, If I were to call OBS on this play (which I am not sure I would, since what was F5 supposed to do, vanish?),

Yes. Or make the play initially. If he doesn't make the play, he is liable for obstruction. This was affirmed in the World Series last year.

Well, that's just a suck rule, I tell ya! That's why I only would have awarded 3rd.

@SanDiegoSteve

Steve,

So good to "see" you again!

While I don't disagree with ANY of your rant (well, except about the obstruction rule difference - hey, it is what it is), I look at it a little differently.

Were YOU or I to officiate like that, your disapprobation would be well warranted.

These guys obviously haven't had the training or experience you and I have.

They're out their umpiring so the kids can play.

If that's what everybody wants out of the program, it's fine.

Personally, I'm not interested in working those games. I'm more than happy to provide umpire training for them.

Good to see you on the board again.

John

Well, that's just a suck rule, I tell ya! That's why I only would have awarded 3rd.

Is it any different from a case where a base-runner is hit by a hard batted-ball that he couldn't get away from in time? Couldn't he similarly argue that he couldn't just vanish?

Yeah I don't why I said that while the whole time I'm talking obstruction just tired when I was posting from my phone, you are absolutely correct, couldn't you let me find it first before you called me out! Haha Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

Instead of starting a new thread...Make the call. Base runner hits a ground ball to F3 who throws to F6 (I think). F1 runs to cover 1st base but the ball never gets there. What do you got? Obstruction only? Obstruction with a warning to BR only? Malicious Contact? Just stirring the pot as always. If this video has been posted please feel free to delete.

I have OBS after reaching first.  While I don't think BR "avoided" contact, and he might even have initiated it, it doesn't look malicious to me and F1 was in the way.

I agree.  It was a shove, but not much of one.  If F1 had ended up face first on the ground, then MC would be warranted.

I have OBS after reaching first.  While I don't think BR "avoided" contact, and he might even have initiated it, it doesn't look malicious to me and F1 was in the way.

I agree.  It was a shove, but not much of one.  If F1 had ended up face first on the ground, then MC would be warranted.

grayhawk,

Maybe, maybe not. Depends.

While a given outcome might influence, it is not in and of itself probative.

JM

grayhawk,

Maybe, maybe not. Depends.

While a given outcome might influence, it is not in and of itself probative.

JM

I don't disagree with that, but it would influence my decision.

• Like 1

I would have correctly given the delayed dead ball signal first (either by not doing it at all or using my left hand), and award the runner third base due to fielder obstruction. Home may ave been too much considering the almost non-existent possibility of the runner making it to home.

I would have correctly given the delayed dead ball signal first (either by not doing it at all or using my left hand)...

I don't think the left-turn signal exists anymore. FED took it out of the book last year

Some states still use it

I would have correctly given the delayed dead ball signal first (either by not doing it at all or using my left hand), and award the runner third base due to fielder obstruction. Home may ave been too much considering the almost non-existent possibility of the runner making it to home.

At the start of the play, there was an R1 and he ended up at third.  I don't see how you can award the BR third -- there's no way he would have ended up there even without the OBS.

• Like 1

I would have correctly given the delayed dead ball signal first (either by not doing it at all or using my left hand)...

I don't think the left-turn signal exists anymore. FED took it out of the book last year

Some states still use it

That's to bad. It looks really stupid.

• Like 1

Some states still use it

That's to bad. It looks really stupid.

I think it's still used in softball (correct me if I'm wrong). But it does look odd.