pitcher and batter collide on 1st base line

BalkHawk
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3369 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Interference.

I found an AR in the Obstruction rule on page 31 2-54-AR2 states: When a fielder has made an attempt to field a batted ball and the ball is "within a step and a reach" the fielder is still considered "in the act"

Interference Rule: 2-50 AR 3

A.R. 3 - If a fielder has a chance to field a batted ball, but misplays it and while attempting to recover it, the ball is in the fielder's immediate reach and the fielder is contacted by the base runner attempting to reach a base, interference shall be called.

• Like 1

I'm not sure... I'm kind of with @bleacher_bum 's original thoughts... If he is re-fielding the ball, I'm absolutely with you all. But it looks to me like he is done fielding the ball after the first attempt. He then comes up to (presumably) apply a tag, and freezes in the baseline as contact was made.

Johnny, with your AR quote, it says "and while attempting to recover"... I'm not sure I see that here.

I'm not sure... I'm kind of with @bleacher_bum 's original thoughts... If he is re-fielding the ball, I'm absolutely with you all. But it looks to me like he is done fielding the ball after the first attempt. He then comes up to (presumably) apply a tag, and freezes in the baseline as contact was made.

Johnny, with your AR quote, it says "and while attempting to recover"... I'm not sure I see that here.

I think the opportunity to attempt to recover has to be protected. Otherwise we have INT on the initial fielding attempt, OBS in that split-second where he attempts to tag without the ball, and back to INT once he starts his second attempt.

• Like 1

When I first looked at it, I had obstruction.

But, when I looked in the definitions again, I changed my mind quickly.

The ball was still within a step and a reach, I think the least SH*#ty end of the stick is Interference.

But I can certainly see a case for obstruction. (even though I'd be likely to judge interference here) I think the batter runner could've changed his path to avoid contact too.

Here's a situation where you get to use your game management skills we've all been practicing. Lots of room for judgment in this play. I think the best rule support is in Interference though.

I think the opportunity to attempt to recover has to be protected. Otherwise we have INT on the initial fielding attempt, OBS in that split-second where he attempts to tag without the ball, and back to INT once he starts his second attempt.

Fair enough.

I think to say he froze as a result of the impending contact and he wasn't given the chance to recover is grounds to call INT... I'm Monday Morning QBing this for sure though, as bleacher said, live I'd probably have obstruction that becomes nothing when he gets first.

Do all codes agree?

Sorry, I've got INT all day long and I'm not so sure I don't have MC as well. Note the clip is in slow motion. AT normal speed it would be hard for the runner to even know if F1 fielded the ball or not. He ran a direct line right into him while fielding the ball...rather violently I might add. 

FYI, the 4 S.E.C. umpires got together and decided "that's nothing. " Also, f3 and b/r had a shoving match which led to their both being ejected, and cleared both dugouts.

I guess I don't see how it could be "nothing" but I'm not an SEC umpire.

I'm just going to say they blew it. It's a batted ball--a collision between a runner and fielder on a batted ball is always something.

• Like 2

Sorry, I've got INT all day long and I'm not so sure I don't have MC as well. Note the clip is in slow motion. AT normal speed it would be hard for the runner to even know if F1 fielded the ball or not. He ran a direct line right into him while fielding the ball...rather violently I might add.

The runner also veered inside the lane to make the contact.
  • Like 3

Watched this live. I will say great call. F1 was no longer fielding the ball, B1 from I saw didn't do anything, malicious (even though he ended up knocking two players over). Obstruction.

At least if it was in any game I am working under OBR. (I am not familiar with NCAA)