Close play at 3rd from B position

spiffdawg7
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3658 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

High school 9th grade game.  R1 and R3 so I am in B position. R1 steals so I open up to be ready for a potential play at 2nd and the catcher throws behind R3.  The play is very close and I call him safe.  I didn't get any argument, but my question is how can I get in any decent position to see this play?  If I move early I could block the potential throw to 2nd on the steal attempt.  I just feel like if a coach does complain it looks like I am out of position trying to call this play at third with only having taking a step or two towards 3rd from B position. 

Not much you can do on this IMO for the reasons you already stated.  Two things come to mind - when you see the throw going to 3B, gain any ground you can at that time.  After you see the play, take another step towards 3B before you come set and make your call.  The first move will get you a bit of distance, the second move will help sell your call.

• Like 1

Ok, I may be wrong, so don't take this the wrong way, but the way I read this is that you opened before the catcher committed.  Let the ball lead you .....that way you'll see where F2 is going and you can anticipate a little better.

If I'm wrong here, I apologize :wave:

• Like 2

I did open before he threw the ball but did not turn if that makes sense.  I basically had my body squared with third base and my head/eyes still on the catcher so that I could easily follow the throw to either 3rd or 2nd. 

Ahhh, ok, I see it now, ....thanks for clarifying....

I'll go get more coffee now! :)

So ... while eyes still on F2 ...you see him going to third, ....eminent play at 3rd then, ....step towards the play as far as it lets you, get set, see it, and as you're calling it ...keep moving a little closer (without taking yourself out of position for anything that my follow) ...maybe ...."C" side of working area ....

I did open before he threw the ball but did not turn if that makes sense.  I basically had my body squared with third base and my head/eyes still on the catcher so that I could easily follow the throw to either 3rd or 2nd. 

So ... while eyes still on F2 ...you see him going to third, ....eminent play at 3rd then, ....step towards the play as far as it lets you, get set, see it, and as you're calling it ...keep moving a little closer (without taking yourself out of position for anything that my follow) ...maybe ...."C" side of working area ....

I've been taught to step towards the 45' line to get a better angle and not directly towards the play.

• Like 2

I've been taught to step towards the 45' line to get a better angle and not directly towards the play.

From B?  Wouldn't you go over the mound if you did that?  Not saying you're wrong....just trying to envision it in my little pea-brain :D

• Like 1

Actually, I disagree with the premise of the OP: B is a better position than C to rule on the play back into 3B. Angle over distance, friends! :wave:

That is why I said not to go directly at the play.

Actually, I disagree with the premise of the OP: B is a better position than C to rule on the play back into 3B. Angle over distance, friends! :wave:

what premise? did I miss something?

The OP's question was: how can I get in a decent position? He presupposed that B is not a decent position, and I disagree.

C'mon, Jeff, keep up! More coffee!

• Like 1

what premise? did I miss something?

The OP's question was: how can I get in a decent position? He presupposed that B is not a decent position, and I disagree.

C'mon, Jeff, keep up! More coffee!

maven, unfortunately I've had too much already :)

but, ...OP is wanting to please the coach so OTHERS thinks he's in position, yes?

but, ...OP is wanting to please the coach so OTHERS thinks he's in position, yes?

Ah, well that's a different question: not, "how can I get in a decent position," but "how can I appear to be in a decent position."

I don't have a mechanic for convincing coaches that I'm in the best place to make a call. Their place is almost always better.

• Like 5

Ah, well that's a different question: not, "how can I get in a decent position," but "how can I appear to be in a decent position."

I don't have a mechanic for convincing coaches that I'm in the best place to make a call. Their place is almost always better.

And the stands even more so!! :)

And the stands even more so!! :)

What stands?  ;)

• Like 2

If he complains, tell him to hire a third umpire for his games and he'll never have that problem.

Don't do this.  You'll be on your assigner's $hit list if you tell a coach this.

Get your angle then fight for distance.  From B you have a good angle, so once you know the throw is going to 3rd, take a couple large steps in that direction (as far as the play will allow), then get stopped/set.  As others have said, you can take an extra step or 2 as you are making your safe/out call, then maybe even another after you make your call.  By then you should be pretty damn close to C.

• Like 2

While we know that the 45' line is the 'magic' place for getting good angle, everyone else see us 100 feet away from where the plate is making a call. This is a perception issue. I heard a great line at a meeting, "That is a $50 call for a third ump, coach"   I wouldn't ever say that though.

Basic mechanics teaches that you should not be moving during the tag play. This means stopping a second before the tag and remaining stopped after the tag to fully read the play. That should take priority over trying to prove to the coaches, the fans, or an evaluator that you were close enough to see the play. And the angle in B should be fine, especially on a quick throw to 3B by F2 where you don't have time to run toward the base.

• Like 2

That is true for a steal of 3rd (you will be in C).  In that case, you need to adjust your angle, otherwise you will see nothing but asses and elbows at 3rd.  But for F2 throwing behind R3, you already have a great angle for that (from B or C).  I would use whatever time I had to gain distance.

• Like 2

If he complains, tell him to hire a third umpire for his games and he'll never have that problem.

Don't do this.  You'll be on your assigner's $hit list if you tell a coach this.

Get your angle then fight for distance.  From B you have a good angle, so once you know the throw is going to 3rd, take a couple large steps in that direction (as far as the play will allow), then get stopped/set.  As others have said, you can take an extra step or 2 as you are making your safe/out call, then maybe even another after you make your call.  By then you should be pretty damn close to C.

This^^^^.

If coach comes out to argue, don't use the 3rd umpire stuff, simply say, "I got him safe coach."

• Like 1

I would suggest less than 2 outs to start in C so you have both angles better.  This way you also can get in easy position for a round down situation witht he runner on 3rd breaking on a ground ball.  Especially in HS.