NCAA Video Question

johnnyg08
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3720 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Video question where R1 went in standing directly to 2B and the umpire signaled that he was out?

a.  legal play, runner went in standing directly to the base.

b.  FPSR violation by R1

c.  This is a Force Play Slide Rule violation. Call R1 out for interference and call R2 out as he was the closest runner to home plate. Place the batter-runner at first base.

d. Since R1 was called out on this play, any possible interference penalties are nullified. The play stands as is.

Rule states:

On any force play, the runner must slide on the ground before the base and in a direct line between the two bases.  It is permissible for the slider's momentum to carry him through the base in the baseline extended.

Exception:  A runner need not slide directly into a base as long as the runner slides or runs in a direction away from the fielder to avoid making contact or altering the play of the fielder.  Interference shall not be called.

Video question where R1 went in standing directly to 2B and the umpire signaled that he was out?

a.  legal play, runner went in standing directly to the base.

b.  FPSR violation by R1

c.  This is a Force Play Slide Rule violation. Call R1 out for interference and call R2 out as he was the closest runner to home plate. Place the batter-runner at first base.

d. Since R1 was called out on this play, any possible interference penalties are nullified. The play stands as is.

Rule states:

On any force play, the runner must slide on the ground before the base and in a direct line between the two bases.  It is permissible for the slider's momentum to carry him through the base in the baseline extended.

Exception:  A runner need not slide directly into a base as long as the runner slides or runs in a direction away from the fielder to avoid making contact or altering the play of the fielder.  Interference shall not be called.

It's B.  They want FPSR on that one.  

• Like 1

We had a lot of back and forth on this play in the study group we had. I ended up choosing A, but there was a lot of arguments for B as well. I would assume that the feeling is, if no slide then get the FPSR.

• Like 1

We had a lot of back and forth on this play in the study group we had. I ended up choosing A, but there was a lot of arguments for B as well. I would assume that the feeling is, if no slide then get the FPSR.

It seems like that's exactly what they want.  No going in standing up. 

I answered B. I walked the fence on this one but in the end I agreed that he altered the play by going directly in standing up. I'm not sure I would call it in a game but that remains to be seen. Now with that said, I missed five and got a 92%. This may be one of the ones I missed. I'll find out on Tuesday.

B is correct. You must slide or run in a direction away from the fielder. This runner did neither.

But that's not how I interpreted the rule.

I can see how the "or" can be interpreted differently under the "Exception".

The FPSR is a safety rule. In the video example, safety is of zero concern. It was just a baseball play where the safety of F4 was not in question.

Seems like there are those that want absolutes during judgement calls. Hello FED.

• Like 1

I think it is probably B.  

I got PM'd by a couple people who were at the meetings.  If the runner is going in standing, he has to peel away from the defensive player gloving the throw at 2B not go in standing.

Get two on this.

I got this question wrong, but I learned from getting it wrong so it helped.  I still passed the test.  

The FPSR is a safety and interference rule.  If he goes in standing up and it's anywhere close to altering the play, he is putting himself at risk to be in violation of the FPSR.  Just slide and his chances of violating are almost nil.  

If you were to see the video, you would see F4 field the throw, then lunge to apply the tag on R1 on a bang bang play at second. If R1 was to peel away from the tag, arguments would be made concerning him leaving his basepath.

There are three main rulesets that use the FPSR, FED, Am Legion, and the NCAA. All three are different. It doesn't need to be that difficult.

If the NCAA wants INT, I'll get it. I just don't see any infraction on that play. This was a tag play on a runner that happened to be forced. If this same play happened where there was R2 only, and he was tagged going into third, I doubt very highly that anyone would even consider any sort of violation.

The play in question happened at the bag. What if it happened two feet in front of the bag? Four feet? Ten feet? Where is that magical line?

Maybe their rationale for ruling this way is because that's the way the rule is written. Maybe they should use that standard on some of their other interps.

I chose B but did get my lowest score to date 90. I can't wait to see the results tomorrow.

A friend I shared my test with said I got much tougher questions than he did. 

Didn't everyone get the same 10 videos?  (plus 50 out of 80 word questions)

Yes, the video questions were all the same.  Then you got 50 on your test out of the 80 possible.

Here's the video for those wondering what we're talking about.  The NCAA wants this called as FPSR.  

So…here's a question for all of you….

This situation is R1, R2, zero out.  We have FPSR on R1, where do we get the other out?  B/R or R2 since he's closer to home?

What if R1 beat the play at 2nd standing up (he's safe, not out) and ended up in the way of the throw to first? Would that be a violation?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes.

Can you provide additional detail?  A runner is not required to slide.  The rule that allows him to veer away from the play assumes he is out, but why wouldn't a runner be allowed to go into a bag standing if he beats the play?

I chose B but did get my lowest score to date 90. I can't wait to see the results tomorrow.

A friend I shared my test with said I got much tougher questions than he did. 

I thought it was pretty tough as well. My first time taking it. Got a 90. Excited to see the results explained tomorrow. I wish our High School test in Texas would have the questions explained post test. It is usually poorly written and at least one answer on the key is always wrong. TASO could learn a thing or two from the NCAA. Our test is supposed to transition to Arbiter hopefully next year. Maybe it will get better.

IMHO the NCAA test is harder, but better. The situations could actually happen. Our high school test is full of once in a million years types of things.