A key gear discovery… My hat’s off to Kyle!

Kevin Finnerty
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3591 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Well now.....

Two days ago I was on the receiving end of the hardest hit I have taken as an umpire.

I set up in the slot for a left handed batter, with my right leg exposed, but square to the pitcher. The first pitch to the second batter of the game was a knee high mid 80's fastball off the inside of the plate. The catcher was set up outside, and gave it the old olé. He completely whiffed on it. I know the pitch was knee high because it was a direct hit to my right kneecap.

The pitch was a ball and after it passed through the zone I began to call it so when a starburst of pain emanated from my knee. I collapsed like a sack of rags as the pain shot through my body from my knee. As the head coaches and my partner raced over - well I assume they did, because I was on my hands and left knee, staring at the ground  while trying not to vomit - I realized that my shin guard saved my kneecap from shattering into a million little bone chips. After a few moments, the acute pain subsided and I continued the game without any further penalties from the baseball gods.

The shin guards have an imprint of the laces and my knee does as well. The plastic shell is not dented nor is it cracked in any way, but you can see a shadow of the laces from the ball. The shin guard's protective capacity does not see compromised in any way

I will continue to wear these shin guards, as I believe that any other shin guards would have offered no better protection with a flush shot directly on the knee cap.

Today I have a little swelling and virtually no discomfort. 

post-2561-0-34399600-1400191639_thumb.jp

I took a shot like that from a foul ball to right knee wearing DaviShins last fall at a D1 fall scrimmage.  Didn't hurt that bad initially but I continue to have swelling in the right knee this season causing me to ice every day/night and a lot of popping in the knee.

Took one like that just below knee cap on the top of the flat/main part of DaviShins in left leg this spring.  Tough to limp on two legs.  Slowed me down considerably.

My partner last night in Men's league 25+ league game took a foul ball in left kneecap wearing Honig's taller model and he went down like you described in OP.  Took five or so minutes for him to recover.  Stitch marks embedded in the kneecap cover just like yours.  Red circle knot on his left knee.  

I just got UE Shins.  Wore for first time last night. No hits to anything so nothing to report on whether or not they can protect you better.

Thanks for the info.  I just purchased the Bauers from icewarehouse.  I put in both 15% and 20% codes and both worked!

$45 total including the $10 shipping to my home.  

Okay. They emailed back and did not honor both but honored the higher of the two.

Still a good deal.