Hall of Fame

rjt6
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3750 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

The 16 or 17 guys who didn't submit ballots are morons.  Even as a non-Braves fan, it's disappointing that Maddux wasn't unanimous.  

The ballot was loaded. Some of those 16 decided to use their 10 votes for guys they though would need the extra vote more than Maddux. If nothing else, Biggio proved every vote matters

The 16 or 17 guys who didn't submit ballots are morons.  Even as a non-Braves fan, it's disappointing that Maddux wasn't unanimous.  

The ballot was loaded. Some of those 16 decided to use their 10 votes for guys they though would need the extra vote more than Maddux. If nothing else, Biggio proved every vote matters

Sorry, that's incredibly stupid in my opinion.  

There should be a better statistical cutoff so that people like Biggio don't get screwed by truly inferior players getting on the ballot.  And if someone can explain to me why guys get 15 cracks at the HOF, I'd love to hear about.  I mean seriously.  JT Snow got two votes.  Those two people should be publicly flogged.  And the people that gave single votes to Armando Benitez and Jacque Jones should be given a 10 second head start before a pack of hungry wolves is released.

Finally, type "Ken Gurnick" into Google for a good laugh.  He's aiming for the "dumbest sports media person" of the year award.

• Like 2

Does Biggio deserve it?

Do his #s jump out to demonstrate that he was the best of the best? He hit .300 four times. He got 200 hits in a season once. He never came close to 100 RBI in a season. He won 4 Golden Glove awards. That's not a whole lot of wow over 20 years.

3000 hits is a lot and has been the threshhold to separate the best from the good, but what makes Biggio stand out as great? Time? Biggio reminds me of other "accumulators" like Rafael Palmiero or Omar Vizquel.

• Like 2

One guy let the people on some blog vote for him. I think Edgar Martinez should be in there. And Piazza, h**l yes.

Ken Gurnick's being irrational. However, he said he won't turn in a ballot next year so that doesn't change percentages. An empty ballot hurts. As far as voting for a guy like JT Snow, I don't get it, but if a guy isn't voting for 10 players,  no harm in throwing a vote in for a guy you liked while covering the team. 

Edgar Martínez is a Hall of Famer, the best DH.  The Seattle Mariners need to start a public relations campaign for him to get in the HOF.

I have said the same thing about Edgar for years. Writers need to also look at how the game has changed and change their votes accordingly. Pitchers are not allowed to pitch complete games anymore, so are you going to punish them? Closers might come and pitch to one batter. Is that his fault? Finally another dh. That's only been around for 40 years or so. They were better in my youth. Please. Try and get with the times.

And if someone can explain to me why guys get 15 cracks at the HOF, I'd love to hear about. 

You only get 5 chances, unless you receive above a certain percentage. You won't see JT Snow on the ballot for 15 years.

I sometimes ponder what Maddux's stats would have looked like, if he had to play his entire career with umpires tied to the Ques-tech system, and wasn't given the benefit of the strike zone that he allegedly was given...

Surely you just miss typed and meant Glavin. Maddux put the ball wherever he wanted to. He was an artist. If the strike zone wasn't wide he would move the ball in 2 inches. Maddux walked 1.8 per nine innings for his career and if the strike zone was smaller I bet that number doesn't change. Glavin on the other hand, lived 6" off the outside corner, averaged 3+ BB/9 and I'll go out on a limb and say without the extra wide zone he's barely an average starting pitcher.  

I sometimes ponder what Maddux's stats would have looked like, if he had to play his entire career with umpires tied to the Ques-tech system, and wasn't given the benefit of the strike zone that he allegedly was given...

No kidding. I read a comment for Leo Mazzone about how well Maddux would do today since the drug testing is so stringent. Bull. He benefited so much from strikes being called a half foot off the plate. Glavine as well. Have to give them credit for getting the umpires to expand the zone. And remember that a strike called above the belt rarely happened until 2001. In the umpire defense neither manager wanted that pitch called for a strike because in all reality it is a terrible pitch and should be crushed. I call the zone, to include a ball off the edge of the plate. It pi&%es me off when I get cracked on by a coach because some guys can't call the "high strike" even though he just said it was a high strike. Grow a set and call the zone. And how do we know that the 3 players to get elected this year didn't use anything?

No kidding. I read a comment for Leo Mazzone about how well Maddux would do today since the drug testing is so stringent. Bull. He benefited so much from strikes being called a half foot off the plate. Glavine as well. Have to give them credit for getting the umpires to expand the zone. And remember that a strike called above the belt rarely happened until 2001. In the umpire defense neither manager wanted that pitch called for a strike because in all reality it is a terrible pitch and should be crushed. I call the zone, to include a ball off the edge of the plate. It pi&%es me off when I get cracked on by a coach because some guys can't call the "high strike" even though he just said it was a high strike. Grow a set and call the zone. And how do we know that the 3 players to get elected this year didn't use anything?

Sounds contradictory to me. You say "call the zone, but in a previous breath, you say that you call a ball off the edge a strike. Granted, depending upon the level, I will get that pitch myself, but it is not a "rule book" strike. Please tell me what I am missing here.

• Like 1

Sounds contradictory to me. You say "call the zone, but in a previous breath, you say that you call a ball off the edge a strike. Granted, depending upon the level, I will get that pitch myself, but it is not a "rule book" strike. Please tell me what I am missing here.

At the high school level and below I will give that pitch. That's not stretching it a whole lot. And in most hs games if you don't call that pitch you'll be there for a day or so. What I was referencing is a person who has the strike only below the belt, so when someone calls the strike at the high point they get cracked. A ball off the edge isn't close to what Maddux and Glavine got.

• Like 1

I think the same thing can be said of many hall of famers. It is just the way it was then and now things are different. Sent Via Telekinesis
  • Like 3

I think the same thing can be said of many hall of famers. It is just the way it was then and now things are different. Sent Via Telekinesis

Speaking of Hall of Fame, how is the foot and when will we be blessed with your presence on a baseball field again?

I still contend Maddux was an absolute control freak and if they weren't calling the wide strike in his time, he would have moved that pitch just enough in to get the call. Maddux had movement and PINPOINT control. Glavin, on the other hand, just worked that outside corner and if he didn't get those 6" he would have been barely average. 

here's a stat I found today that sums up just how good Maddux was....

Out of 20,421 batters faced, only 133 were 3-0 counts. Just 0.0065%

Try and digest that one for a while. Simply amazing. 

• Like 5

I think the same thing can be said of many hall of famers. It is just the way it was then and now things are different. Sent Via Telekinesis Speaking of Hall of Fame, how is the foot and when will we be blessed with your presence on a baseball field again? Foot is coming along. We have a state clinic in two weeks. Hopefully I can participate of not I will be there anyway and was told they would give me credit anyway. My first game of season is Feb 4th on the bases. Should be ready by then. Sent Via Telekinesis
  • Like 1