And you thought I was bad...

Rulekeep
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3770 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I showed up to my first winter break class at the fieldhouse today, and since there's a big soccer tournament going on, I'm told to go the back room/batting cages. I'm already running late, but when I make it through the screaming parents and into the back, only four of the other eleven umpires are there, and the instructor is nowhere to be seen. I was under the impression it was going to be rule review and application today, but showed up in full dress anyways, because I've been known to be wrong, and I was, it was mechanics. (Which everybody knows I need help with...)

So I'm sitting here in the batting cages, shirt tucked in and everything, and twenty minutes late this guy finally shows up. Immediately he jumps down the other kids throats for their attire, but then does the same to me, telling me I was being a showoff. Then he gets mad because I brought my CP and helmet, for the same reason, but then tells the other students they were unprepared. Meanwhile, he's standing there in an Alaskan Amber (local brewery) tee shirt and blue jeans, no gear at all. Finally we get this thing moving, and as I'm waiting in line to be yelled at for all the things I'm doing wrong behind the plate, my dad calls me and out of sheer teenager instinct I pick up right away. Quick conversation, (he just wanted to make sure I got to the field house) and I put my phone away within thirty seconds. But of course our almighty god of an instructor tells me if he sees my phone again, he'll turn it in to the fieldhouse manager. (There's a rule that there's no cell phone use while /batters/ are in the cages, actively batting.) Keep in mind I'm sitting against the wall, staying out of trouble, for once. One other kid, probably a sixth grader, by the looks of him, is pretty much in tears by the time this guy finishes complaining about his calls. Did I mention he had a filthy mouth? I mean, I swear a bit too much, but this guy was akin to Chef Ramsay. Totally out of line. When it was my turn, he had plenty to complain about, again the showoff thing, and not calling the second strike with my first and second fingers. Honestly that irked me, I call my strike two with my first and fourth fingers, because it's more comfortable coming out of my stance and easier to read. He also wanted me to call my strikes with my left hand, which left me legitimately speechless. Oh yeah, my stance. Too low, too wide, I lean too far forward, I don't balance myself properly, my feet weren't flat, feet weren't parallel (well duh), and I shouldn't use the chair stance because of my height, which is the stupidest thing I have ever heard. The only halfway real concern was my habit of resting my forearms on my knees while I'm in my stance. This guy drove me up the wall, even when he was NOT totally tearing apart my field mechanics. It was just one frustrating mess after another and either he's right or everybody on this site is, because he was telling me the exact opposite of everything I've learned here. I'm inclined to go with you guys. In the end, nobody was harmed and I managed to keep my cool through him arguing my "idiotically low" strike zone for much longer than necessary. Already these classes are doing me good and I didn't learn a single thing about mechanics today.

And the kicker is, I have him for two more weeks! Whoopee. This guy is a real winner, if he's even an active umpire. It was supposed to be a three hour class and ended after 45 minutes because all of us were refusing to do anything for him and he was refusing to do anything for us.

Sounds like a guy who made triple A but never could make it to the majors and is bitter.

When it comes to the dealing with the coaches part of the class give him the Haller boom.

He sorta struck me as a failed baseball player-turned-umpire type of guy...and a failed ump, too.

You didn't whop him over the head with your HSM? tsk, tsk

This is the kind of bully boss that people with low level jobs get.

If your algebra teacher can't motivate you to get an education,

perhaps getting this sneak preview to what lies ahead of a HS dropout will.

• Like 1

I'm proud of ya! Showed up in uniform, shirt tucked, and you made an impression! Ignore the "show off" comments. This guy's obviously a bit of a jerk, and it sounds like you looked and acted more professional than him! Keep your head up, take whatever info (if any) you can can get from these "clinics" with this guy, and move on. Don't be a wise ass. Just listen and nod your head, even if you know better (Liker calling a strike with the left hand :shrug:  :shakehead: . ) Sounds like you're already standing head and shoulders above others in you class. Keep it up!! 

• Like 1

You didn't whop him over the head with your HSM? tsk, tsk

This is the kind of bully boss that people with low level jobs get.

If your algebra teacher can't motivate you to get an education,

perhaps getting this sneak preview to what lies ahead of a HS dropout will.

I'm sorry, if I drop out of high school, I'm gonna be a punk musician. No need to be a bully when you're fighting for the bullied.

• Like 1

I'm proud of ya! Showed up in uniform, shirt tucked, and you made an impression! Ignore the "show off" comments. This guy's obviously a bit of a jerk, and it sounds like you looked and acted more professional than him! Keep your head up, take whatever info (if any) you can can get from these "clinics" with this guy, and move on. Don't be a wise ass. Just listen and nod your head, even if you know better (Liker calling a strike with the left hand :shrug::shakehead: . ) Sounds like you're already standing head and shoulders above others in you class. Keep it up!!

Ay, what's wrong with being a smart ass? I'm one naturally, and this guy seems like he may not be on my level of sarcasm, so I might be able to get some shots in at him. :D

I'm proud of ya! Showed up in uniform, shirt tucked, and you made an impression! Ignore the "show off" comments. This guy's obviously a bit of a jerk, and it sounds like you looked and acted more professional than him! Keep your head up, take whatever info (if any) you can can get from these "clinics" with this guy, and move on. Don't be a wise ass. Just listen and nod your head, even if you know better (Liker calling a strike with the left hand :shrug:  :shakehead: . ) Sounds like you're already standing head and shoulders above others in you class. Keep it up!! 

Obviously, even if that info is what NOT to do. 

Sounds like a guy who made triple A but never could make it to the majors and is bitter.

When it comes to the dealing with the coaches part of the class give him the Haller boom.

It could have been any level. Some umpires forget where they come from. Chances are this guy is a wanna be.