#1 conbo61

conbo61
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 393 posts
  • Joined 22-April 08
  • LocationBethlehem, PA

Posted 16 December 2013 - 10:48 AM

Our state association requires officials to complete a thee-part background check in order to officiate.

Our summer ball association has instituted a similar policy.

My question is how many of your state and summer associations require similar checks.

"You see, you spend a good piece of your life gripping a baseball and in the end it turns out that it was the other way around all the time." - Jim Bouton

#2 grayhawk

grayhawk
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,466 posts
  • Joined 28-August 10
  • LocationLaguna Niguel, CA

Posted 16 December 2013 - 10:56 AM

The only organization that I have umpired in that has ever required a background check is Little League.

Never needed one for Pony, AAU, USSSA, HS or any of the other off-season ball I have done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2014 Game Count:  High School: 45 | AAU: 0 | Pony: 0 | Little League: 2 | UCLA: 2 | Total: 49

2013 Game Count:  High School: 43 | USSSA: 7 | AAU: 30 | Pony: 11Little League: 17 | UCLA: 1Total: 109

#3 conbo61

conbo61
  • Members
  • 393 posts
  • Joined 22-April 08
  • LocationBethlehem, PA

Posted 16 December 2013 - 11:01 AM

Just for clarification, PIAA has required it of officials who became certified after 2007.  It is a once and done process.

"You see, you spend a good piece of your life gripping a baseball and in the end it turns out that it was the other way around all the time." - Jim Bouton

#4 VAUmp

VAUmp
  • Members
  • 441 posts
  • Joined 19-January 13
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 16 December 2013 - 11:05 AM

The Virginia High School League makes you sign an affidavit that states you were never charged or convicted of a felony, nor charged with a crime against a minor.  

2014 Games:  

• Varsity: 6
  • JV: 5
  • Babe Ruth: 11
  • USSSA: 4
  • TOTAL: 26

#5 BT_Blue

BT_Blue
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,626 posts
  • Joined 11-January 09
  • LocationSalmon Creek, WA
  • Your Association Name :NCUA, EBUA, EFOA, PBUA

Posted 16 December 2013 - 12:15 PM

Both WA and OR high school associations do a cursory background check. Mainly to make sure you have not commited a crime against a minor. Also WA will not allow you to work HS games if you have a felony conviction.
Quit or get better!

Arik
EBUA, EFOA, NCUA, PBUA

#6 Thunderheads

Thunderheads

Crew Chief

• Administrators
  • 8,797 posts
  • Joined 13-October 09
  • LocationNorthville, MI
  • Your Association Name :NBSA / NFWB / MHSAA

Posted 16 December 2013 - 12:53 PM

Michigan does .....  MHSAA

Jeff
"To stare down a big league pitcher. To stare him down, and just as he goes into his windup, wink. Make him think you know something he doesn't. That's what I wish for. Chance to squint at a sky so blue that it hurts your eyes just to look at it. To feel the tingling in your arm as you connect with the ball. To run the bases - stretch a double into a triple, and flop face-first into third, wrap your arms around the bag." Dr. Archibald "Moonlight" Graham

#7 th3

th3
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,109 posts
  • Joined 10-June 09
  • LocationNJ

Posted 16 December 2013 - 01:11 PM

my background is nobody's business

#8 conbo61

conbo61
  • Members
  • 393 posts
  • Joined 22-April 08
  • LocationBethlehem, PA

Posted 16 December 2013 - 02:06 PM

Sounds like PIAA is pretty stringent (comparatively).  How about summer ball associations? Any requirements?

#9 Richvee

Richvee
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,635 posts
  • Joined 30-October 11
  • LocationSussex County, NJ
  • Your Association Name :NJSBUA NJSAB

Posted 16 December 2013 - 02:23 PM

Other than fingerprints for LL, I haven't had to go through any. 

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do... I stare out the window and wait for spring."

(Rogers Hornsby)

Rich Verost
NJSIAA member

#10 mjr_2013

mjr_2013
  • Premium Members
  • 1,551 posts
  • Joined 08-May 11
  • LocationWaterford, Michigan
  • Your Association Name :MDOA, NOCOA, and MHSAA

Posted 16 December 2013 - 02:36 PM

Little League is my primary business, and they are very strict about the background checks… Every umpire, coach, board member, and volunteer, even the ones who are 13 years old, must provide a state issued photo ID (school ID's are accepted for those under 18) as well as a bunch of background information.

There cannot be any contact with children through practices, scrimmages, etc. until the background check is on file. 

MHSAA does them also I believe

Currently in my 6th season...

Current Level: From Football to Fall Ball and everything in between
2014 Games: 108
Career Games: 305
Career Championship Games: 13 (6 League; 7 Tourney)
Career Ejections: 8 (5 coach; 3 player)

#11 Rich Ives

Rich Ives
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,846 posts
  • Joined 09-May 10

Posted 16 December 2013 - 03:43 PM

Richvee - LL doesn't require fingerprints. If you had to supply them it was a local request.

I coach. I have to consider the situation from both sides - offense and defense.

#12 Richvee

Richvee
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,635 posts
  • Joined 30-October 11
  • LocationSussex County, NJ
  • Your Association Name :NJSBUA NJSAB

Posted 16 December 2013 - 05:41 PM

Richvee - LL doesn't require fingerprints. If you had to supply them it was a local request.

I guess it's our district's request then. I need to have them on file for my state optician's license anyway, so it's no big deal. 

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do... I stare out the window and wait for spring."

(Rogers Hornsby)

Rich Verost
NJSIAA member

#13 maineump

maineump
  • Members
  • 320 posts
  • Joined 05-March 13
  • LocationMaine
  • Your Association Name :CBUAO, EMBUA, SMUA, MeD3LL

Posted 16 December 2013 - 05:51 PM

I believe in Maine we have to sign a form for HS saying that we have no felonies - our local HS board really pays attention to that kind of stuff as well - small board - word travels fast. We do have connections for checks if needed. Schools are clamping down on this, and I think all sports (school) in Maine have some sort of requirement.

The only other one I have is LL for summer ball - Each league has a contact for background checks, I am think that LL has this set up? I think there is a place that they get so many 'free' background checks done each year.

Umpires have the best seat in the house to watch a baseball game

Call it like you see it and have fun out there!

#14 MRG9999

MRG9999
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 86 posts
  • Joined 16-August 13
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA
  • Your Association Name :Pennsylvania Interscholastic Athletic Association (PIAA)

Posted 16 December 2013 - 06:05 PM

Just for clarification, PIAA has required it of officials who became certified after 2007.  It is a once and done process.

Yes, the PIAA (Pennsylvania Interscholastic Athletic Association) is very strict on obtaining these checks. I think it is for the best of all parties.  You know who you are dealing with once these checks are completed.  These checks consist of FBI background and fingerprint checks, state child abuse background check, and state police criminal background check. True, it is not a fool proof system, but it gives you a little piece of mind knowing that the officials are subject to this.

MRG9999

2014  Game Count:

Regular Season HS: 18

Rainouts:                  14

HS Scrimmages:        1

Perfect Game:           0

No Hitter :                  1

Other Games:           72

Little League Tourney 2  (District games)

Ejections:                  1 (loud mouth parent)

#15 th3

th3
  • Members
  • 1,109 posts
  • Joined 10-June 09
  • LocationNJ

Posted 16 December 2013 - 06:27 PM

I think Rich Vee's reputation preceded him

#16 conbo61

conbo61
  • Members
  • 393 posts
  • Joined 22-April 08
  • LocationBethlehem, PA

Posted 16 December 2013 - 08:01 PM

We are supposed to have copies of our documents with us at the field. It made me feel awkward. Some schools want copies, others are satisfied to verify through the PIAA website. I got into the habit of emailing AD's before the game to see if I could email them scans of the documents ahead of time. So far they have all been accommodating. The school then keeps them on file.

Our summer ball association has adopted a similar background check procedure. Since many summer games are played on school fields, it made sense from a liability perspective.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

#17 Stan W.

Stan W.

Crew Chief

• Moderators
  • 1,801 posts
  • Joined 09-August 08

Posted 16 December 2013 - 11:30 PM

Yes, the PIAA (Pennsylvania Interscholastic Athletic Association) is very strict on obtaining these checks. I think it is for the best of all parties.  You know who you are dealing with once these checks are completed.  These checks consist of FBI background and fingerprint checks, state child abuse background check, and state police criminal background check. True, it is not a fool proof system, but it gives you a little piece of mind knowing that the officials are subject to this.

Yes, PIAA is quite stringent on these checks due to the 2008 Pittsburgh Post gazette investigative article by Bill Moushey that revealed an embarrassing number of former and active PIAA officials who had convictions for a multitude of offenses......  child abuse,gun crimes, drug offenses, assaults, animal abuse, fraud, various forms of theft, crimes of falsity, drunken driving and auto accidents that caused deaths.

As a proud long-term PIAA official, I'm glad they cleaned the PIAA out of those officials.....I support the background check program.....

Edited by Stan W., 16 December 2013 - 11:32 PM.
link to original story

#18 Dannytheman

Dannytheman
  • Members
  • 1,047 posts
  • Joined 21-June 12
  • LocationLos Angles, Peoples Republic of California

Posted 17 December 2013 - 01:56 AM

LL is for each league you serve, too. At least I know one year I did 5.  I also have the PA State Police run me every year to supply the PIAA.  10 bucks on line.

LL is free, or it has been for me at many leagues. No fingerprints in my history.

Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it! :meditation:

#19 conbo61

conbo61
  • Members
  • 393 posts
  • Joined 22-April 08
  • LocationBethlehem, PA

Posted 17 December 2013 - 04:55 AM

Yes, PIAA is quite stringent on these checks due to the 2008 Pittsburgh Post gazette investigative article by Bill Moushey that revealed an embarrassing number of former and active PIAA officials who had convictions for a multitude of offenses......  child abuse,gun crimes, drug offenses, assaults, animal abuse, fraud, various forms of theft, crimes of falsity, drunken driving and auto accidents that caused deaths.

As a proud long-term PIAA official, I'm glad they cleaned the PIAA out of those officials.....I support the background check program.....

Read more: http://www.post-gaze...3#ixzz2nherb0X7

I have no qualms with submitting to a background check. The only question I ever had was why the PIAA never phased it in for officials who registered before 2007.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

#20 JaxRolo

JaxRolo

Supreme Umpire

• Premium Members
  • 9,359 posts
  • Joined 24-January 10
  • LocationJacksonville, Fl
  • Your Association Name :River City Umpires and UmpNation

Posted 17 December 2013 - 08:10 AM

Florida has gone to a universal system. It used to be you had to get checked at each county you worked in. This is at the HS level.

I used to be a really good Baseball Player until my eyes started going bad. So I became an Umpire!

2014  Game Count:

Regular Season HS: 40

HS Scrimmages:       5

Perfect Game:          0

Other Games:          45

2013 Game Count: 283 :nod:

River City Umpires Association - Webmaster
Umps 4 Hire - Webmaster

Ump Nation Umpire
FHSAA Baseball Umpire
Babe Ruth Baseball and Softball Certified

0 user(s) are reading this topic