Your reaction??

bluejerred
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3781 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Ignore unless they persist.  Then, you can pick out the offender and remove them.  I do not tolerate them keeping count.  I do not keep count of their supposed mistakes.  If they don't and you don't know who, forget it.  Move on but be mindful if it happens again.  Be ready to know who did it.  Just make sure it is a participant who said it.  If it is a fan, IGNORE.

Ignore it, but without turning your head if the voice was in front of you, cruise the perimeter with your eyes. The offender will often make himself noticeable. I wouldn't do anything, but make a mental note. Like Mr. Umpire said, if a fan, ignore it, but if a player/manager, make a mental note.

Is it from the dug out? Is it from the stands?

I might have a scorecard issue and need to discuss a player issue with that dug outs manager for a second. While standing with my pencil and paper in my hand, remind him that comments like that reflect directly on him. He is going to probably say, he doesn't know who said it, and that's normal. But he has been warned without any drama.

If it is from the stands, ignore, turn on wife ears.

If I can't tell who said something, I will glance at the offending bench with one of my blood curdling stares. That usually does the trick. If it persists, I will cruise over and have a quiet word with the coach. Third time, someone is going home early, once I put it on the coach, it's on him.

• Like 1

Back when I went to Joe Brinkman's school in 1989, we were taught that if something that was said out of a dugout that was an ejectionable offense, that the offended umpire would approach the dugout and ask who said it. Usually, no ball player would say whom it was. By the time everyone was looking stupid at you, the manager would come over to find out what the problem was. We were taught to say to the manager, "Someone said blah, blah, blah, and they have to go. I asked and no one confessed. Either they fess up, or I'll pick one and he's done." At that point, the manager will either come at you, to which you have to deal with, or he picks one, or the offender steps forward and he goes. Either way, someone was going.

Now, I shared that teaching, just to see if anyone is doing that style today under the correct circumstances. I'm not saying it applies in this situation, or that it would apply always with amatuer ball, because that is definitely a pro ball teaching. I am just curious if anyone has done what was described above? And again, so no one flies off the handle and sentences me to death, I'm NOT saying that is what should have been done in this situation.

When that happens I have a few different reactions depending on the level of ball, what number game I'm on for the day, how the game has been going, and what my mood is at the particular time. To clear up what I mean by my mood I don't mean that I let my emotions get in the way of affect how I handle it just that if I'm in the mood to deal with any more stupid comments or if I'm in the mood to work on my communication skills with the manager. If it's a kid ball game I usually don't care if it comes from the stands or from on the field I'm going to take care of it. If it's from the stands and all that was said was "that's two" then I usually call time and have a little chat with the head coach and let him know he is responsible from sportsmanship on both sides of the fence and that his fans better not count to 3. If anything else was said that was more personal to go with the original "that's two" comment if it's bad enough I may just eject the offender and get it over with, even if it is a spectator I don't discriminate. If it comes from the field I'm taking care of it right then and there as assertive as possible to let them know who's in charge. It doesn't happen as much to many more in kid ball because I deal with a lot of the same teams every week and they know who I am but occasionally there will be a new team who has a coach that think's because of my age they can get away with trying to walk all over me. At the higher levels they are much more professional and understand that regardless of my age if I couldn't handle the job I wouldn't be out there. Now back to the original comment if it happens in a higher level game such as high school or college from the stands I just ignore it. If it comes from a player he gets to put on his turf shoes and be done for the day. If it comes from a manager (which almost never happens) we have a little chat and discuss how it's not going to happen again and that's that. Usually it doesn't have to go past that and it's taken care of. If it comes from the dugout then it generally is handled similar to if a manager had said it. In high school ball during the spring usually everyone is mild mannered and minds their P's and Q's because an ejection in high school for a manager here in Texas results in a trip to the UIL board in Austin which almost never goes well for the coaches. If it's a player they have extremely strict penalties for Varsity players that generally result in a multi-game suspension, and often gets the coach in trouble with the UIL board as well. Because of the coaches do a pretty good job of keeping their players in line.

If I have professional coaches (not daddy coaches) then I'd use the stare daggers warning. Professional coaches understand the stare warning (whether they heed it or not is on them). But if its a daddy coach, they don't understand "the stare". They often mistake it for, I heard it, I'm not going to do anything about it, I'm a pussy. I don't ever want them to get that impression. I give them an unmistakable explicit stern verbal warning, "Whoever is counting, better knock it off". If it happens again, someone is going to the parking lot.

If it's from the stands and all that was said was "that's two" then I usually call time and have a little chat with the head coach and let him know he is responsible from sportsmanship on both sides of the fence and that his fans better not count to 3. If anything else was said that was more personal to go with the original "that's two" comment if it's bad enough I may just eject the offender and get it over with, even if it is a spectator I don't discriminate.

Really? You don't think a fan has the right to say "That's two blue...you stink?" You're stopping a game and having a coach remove a parent for that??

Really? You don't think a fan has the right to say "That's two blue...you stink?" You're stopping a game and having a coach remove a parent for that??

If we're talking kiddie/tournament ball, then I don't put up with it either. If someone came to your place of work, screaming about the job you were doing, how long would you put up with it? And though parent/umpire abuse is tough on an umpire, it ain't no good for the kids either. Just because this is baseball, don't think I have to put up with this. .

Convo goes like this: coach, I'm all for parental support of their kids, but if anyone thinks I'm going to be yelled at for the next 1:45, they've got another think coming. You need to go talk some sense into parents. And you can let them know that the next time I come to you about their behavior, YOU are going to send someone to the parking lot before we resume play.

I can't remember ever having to take the next step since using this approach...but I wouldn't hesitate to do it and I suspect parents believe that. Teaching parents how to behave at a youth sporting events in one of the many services that I provide. Perhaps you worked a game with this kind of parent after I have. In which case, you're welcome.

Spectators are none of our business.  We should be limiting to just between the fences.  I wonder if you have worked some high level games b/c there are A LOT of spectators at those.  Guess not if you are worried about the spectators.  As long as the fan is not threatening me or the other team, I don't care what they say.  Once they cross that line, then they will have someone else to talk to and it won't be me or a coach.

• Like 2

I really don't care what the spectators are doing, until it affects what is going on with the teams. They can yell at me all they like. I did get involved, pre-game, when I saw a bunch of handmade signs ( like they have in the WWE) with derogatory comments about the other team on them. Those came down, or we would have had major issues.

• Like 1

Whatever happens outside the playing field, remains outside the playing field, unless the spectators actions present a danger to me, my crew, the players, or any personnel on the field. I could care less what they say. I actually have had to refrain from laughing at times. The most memorable:

"Hey Ump, UPS called. They said your seeing eye dog will arrive in the next inning!"

I nearly fell over laughing at that one.

Ricka56, all due respect, you really need to grow a thicker skin, and learn to ignore what the fans are saying. When you are concentrating on your game, and in that zone, you honestly don't hear them. They are completely tuned out. You should really strive and learn to get to that point. It makes umpiring so much easier.

A few weeks ago, I was asked to call a varsity softball district tournament.  I was PU for game one.  Early in the game, there was a very close play at the plate.  F2 got her glove down and made the tag; however, she had the ball in her hand, so I signaled safe.  The DC went insane.  He let me know that he clearly saw the tag and that I missed the call.

Game two, I'm now BU (2 man mechanics) ... R1 steals on the pitch, F2 comes up throwing.  I close in and set ... R1 slides behind the bag in an effort to create distance between he and F6.  She slides 10" behind the bag as F6 sweeps and tags her in the thigh.  I called her out (big punch with verbal as it was a close play).  After I make the call, I immediately turn and retreat to A.

I know what you're thinking ... in the thigh, that's a high tag - you're right, but R1 NEVER touched the bag.

The OC (was DC in game 1) started yelling from the third base box, "are you kidding, the tag was high!! That's two you've cost us!!"  I called time to talk to the coach.  I explained the reason that I called her out, and asked that if he had something to say to me about a call, to call time and come talk to me.  I also told him to never yell at me across the field again. 

He got the hint.  His team went on to win the tournament.

I do vary my game management style based on the level of play...doesn't everyone. I specifically said that this approach was for Kiddie/tournament ball. I wouldn't recommend this approach for HS BB or above (I work up to varsity HS ball). If I hear things at a HS game, it usually amuse me, I guess I've thick enough skin for that kind of game, because usually I don't even hear stuff.

But I'll be damned if I'm going to let some know-nothing daddy count the number of semi-close calls that don't go his way (or whatever stupid crap comes out) for 1:45 at some U12 game. I'm just not going to do it. It has been discussed at the facility that I work, where we seem to have clientele that appreciate no tolerance for adults that feel the need be a part of the game. The games are much more enjoyable (and no less competitive) when parents aren't trying to work the ump. Bottom line: I still get assignments. :shrug:   YMMV